My iPhone 4S just restarted itself.

auntiewiv

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I've just had my first ever iPhone crash. The phone just restarted itself whilst sat doing nothing on my desk. Crash logs reveal a Kernel Panic. In 3 years of owning an iPhone that's the first one I've had. Anyone else?

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I've just had my first ever iPhone crash. The phone just restarted itself whilst sat doing nothing on my desk. Crash logs reveal a Kernel Panic. In 3 years of owning an iPhone that's the first one I've had. Anyone else?

I've never had my phone restart itself. But I do a hard reset like once a week or so. It seems like it runs a little better after I do that.

How is your phone now? Is it acting normal again?

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
whats the dif between a soft and hard reset?

soft is the home/sleep button it it restarts, correct?
whats a hard reset?

auntiewiv

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I've had no problems with it. Battery as good if not better than my iPhone 4, completely happy with it. Siri is great and I'm looking forward to the rumoured upgrades. :)

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had no problems with it. Battery as good if not better than my iPhone 4, completely happy with it. Siri is great and I'm looking forward to the rumoured upgrades. :)

then just take it as a little hiccup, and all is better. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Seems like you're having less problems then some other people on here.

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
For anyone who is having their iPhone rebooting/restarting itself, its worth looking in:

General/about/diagnostic & usage/diagnostic & usage data.

If there is any entry in there with panic.plist in the title, then you will need your iPhone replaced, has your iPhone will randomly reboot. Panic.plist crashes are caused by a hardware fault and the only way to get rid of the issue is to have the iPhone replaced.

My first 4S randomly rebooted itself and when I looked in the diagnostic section, I was getting panic.plist errors in there. I contacted Apple Care and mentioned about the panic.plist errors/crashes and pretty much immediately they said I would need my iPhone replaced.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
For anyone who is having their iPhone rebooting/restarting itself, its worth looking in:

General/about/diagnostic & usage/diagnostic & usage data.

If there is any entry in there with panic.plist in the title, then you will need your iPhone replaced, has your iPhone will randomly reboot. Panic.plist crashes are caused by a hardware fault and the only way to get rid of the issue is to have the iPhone replaced.

My first 4S randomly rebooted itself and when I looked in the diagnostic section, I was getting panic.plist errors in there. I contacted Apple Care and mentioned about the panic.plist errors/crashes and pretty much immediately they said I would need my iPhone replaced.

I agree with this.. its a hardware problem if thats the case..

cw00dson24

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I had the same panic.plist error, and went to my local apple store and they said its a firmware not hardware issue. He reinstalled my firmware and said if it happens again to come back. Was he just lying to me so they didn't have to replace my phone?

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So I've had my iPhone since launch and it's restarted 2 times (one being just a few days ago). I just looked at the diagnostic and it has the panic.plist listed.

Should I take my phone to the Apple store? I am not crazy about refurb phones, so I'm wondering if I should just stick it out. Thought anyone?

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I had the same panic.plist error, and went to my local apple store and they said its a firmware not hardware issue. He reinstalled my firmware and said if it happens again to come back. Was he just lying to me so they didn't have to replace my phone?

Definitely a hardware issue, I think some of the Apple Store employees are less knowledgable than others.

When I had the panic.plist errors, I contacted Apple Care (has my 4S was only 10 days or so old). The Apple Care guy told me:

'panic.plist errors indicate a hardware fault and as such a replacement iPhone is the only way to fix it' I have seen many post on various forums that say the same thing.

When I went to the Apple Store, I mentioned what Apple Care had said and he basically said the same thing, but added it can offen be a fault logic board, but either way it's a hardware issue.

If I were you I would leave It a few days and go back to the Apple Store and tell them that you are still getting panic.plist errors. In the UK we get 90 days access to Apple Care, unless we purchase the Apple Care package to extend it. If you get 90 days access in your country ( and providing you have had your 4S less than 90 days, which i would expect you to have) then I would contact Apple Care and see what they say, you can then go to the Apple Store with this info and tell them what they said, Apple Care should be able to make a Genius Bar appointment for you as well at the store of your choice (they did for me).

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well this is strange, not sure if it's a fluke or what. Last night, I had the panic.plist file listed in my diagnostic. This morning I woke up and it was gone. I canceled my Genius Bar appointment and am just going to see if it happens again. Everything seems to be working just fine.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
:)Idk if this is a silly question, but do you guys/girls check your diagnostics list daily? Weekly? Should I be in the habit of doing so also?

I just happened to look at the list yesterday because Yahoo email was being a total b!tch with the whole "connection to server failed" message and in the diags list was the "latest crash-mobile mail.plist" thing. Other than that I normally do not look at that list at all.

My phone has never restarted itself TG

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Well this is strange, not sure if it's a fluke or what. Last night, I had the panic.plist file listed in my diagnostic. This morning I woke up and it was gone. I canceled my Genius Bar appointment and am just going to see if it happens again. Everything seems to be working just fine.

Its normal for them to disappear. I find that either after a few days or the next charge, the entries in the log disappear.

I would re-make that Genius Bar appointment has once you have panic.plist entries, it is only a matter of time till they come back, due to the panic.plist's been caused by a hardware fault.

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
:)Idk if this is a silly question, but do you guys/girls check your diagnostics list daily? Weekly? Should I be in the habit of doing so also?

I just happened to look at the list yesterday because Yahoo email was being a total b!tch with the whole "connection to server failed" message and in the diags list was the "latest crash-mobile mail.plist" thing. Other than that I normally do not look at that list at all.

My phone has never restarted itself TG

It is perfectly normal to have some plist entries in the diagnostic log/list. Chances are that the same errors etc would have occurred pre iOS 5, its just now with iOS 5, you are able to view the diagnostic list/log. I normally don't check my list/log unless I'm bored and I'm fiddling with my 4S.

The only entries that you should be concerned about are panic.plist. These are caused by a hardware fault (I was told a faulty logic board). If you get these, then the only way to fix it is to have the iPhone replaced.

When I was getting panic.plist shown in the diagnostic list/log, I could be looking at the screen, it would turn off and then back on (basically like I had powered the 4S off and then back on myself) when this occurred I noted the time, I then went into the diagnostic list/log and looked for any entries that corresponded to the time I had noted (you can see the date and time of the event by reading the log entry) . The panic.plist were the entries that corresponded to the time I had noted.

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It is perfectly normal to have some plist entries in the diagnostic log/list. Chances are that the same errors etc would have occurred pre iOS 5, its just now with iOS 5, you are able to view the diagnostic list/log. I normally don't check my list/log unless I'm bored and I'm fiddling with my 4S.

The only entries that you should be concerned about are panic.plist. These are caused by a hardware fault (I was told a faulty logic board). If you get these, then the only way to fix it is to have the iPhone replaced.

When I was getting panic.plist shown in the diagnostic list/log, I could be looking at the screen, it would turn off and then back on (basically like I had powered the 4S off and then back on myself) when this occurred I noted the time, I then went into the diagnostic list/log and looked for any entries that corresponded to the time I had noted (you can see the date and time of the event by reading the log entry) . The panic.plist were the entries that corresponded to the time I had noted.

:)Thanks for clarifying that Fatboy. I know there are going to be some sort of things listed in the the diags - I've used bb's in the past and on occasion I'd check my event log and find errors here and there sometimes too. So I understand and I don't panic about them unless my device was having a serious issue, which TG I've been very fortunate with any of my smartphones I've owned - I've had good luck:)

I did know enough with iOS5 that the "panic.plist" is not what you want to see in the diags list. So with that being said I guess unless I see something acting wonky I won't bother to look in the diags log then:)

Also, just to add, when ever you do a back up of your iPhone the current list that was stored gets wiped out and it starts a fresh one, for anyone wondering about how it gets cleared out:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234