iPhone 4S set up question

tscanlon

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to figure out how to set up my wife's iPhone 4S given her somewhat disparate email, contacts and calendar situation.

She uses Hotmail for her email. That part is simple.

For her contacts, her contact email addresses are in Hotmail but the full contact info including phone numbers and addresses are in Outlook. There is some cross over between the two sources.

Her calendar is in Outlook. Previously we used Google Calendar Sync to sync between Outlook and Google and then to her Droid. Hasn't quite worked as of late.

I tried to use the Hotmail Connector to sync from Outlook to Hotmail and then to iPhone but it didn't seem to work both ways.

I set up an iCloud account and it would allow me to upload/sync the contacts between iCloud and Outlook (at least that is what it said). I tried to do the same thing and it wouldn't let me beause I had no email associated with the Outlook client.

Any thoughts to the best approach?

Of course I am trying to figure everything out before activating the iPhone so as not to strand her without her info.

Thanks.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I think u have to get all her contact info to one source
Just a idea

Export her contacts from hotmail and merge in outlook and setup her email account in outlook as well..

Then install the iCloud service for windows and link to outlook to iCloud

Then turn on iCloud and that way outlook will match the phone

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I think u have to get all her contact info to one source
Just a idea

Export her contacts from hotmail and merge in outlook and setup her email account in outlook as well..

Then install the iCloud service for windows and link to outlook to iCloud

Then turn on iCloud and that way outlook will match the phone

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Hotmail can be setup via ActiveSync ("set up as Exchange"). My suggestion is to get her contacts, etc in Hotmail. Set up Outlook to sync with Hotmail. I don't have first hand experience with syncing Hotmail and Outlook but that seems like it would be the simplest and cleanest approach to me. The fewer pieces involved the better.

Syncing with a desktop client such as Outlook generally isn't best practice. You want everything to sync with a server (Hotmail) and not rely on a client (Outlook).

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh