Long Text Messages All Broken up?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
how come sometimes when long text messages are sent to you they come in all broken up and you have to put them together and other times they come in all in one?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
If they are more than 160 characters, they are broken up. Sometimes iPhones can communicate to each other without breaking up messages. It's random. Sorry.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
SMS/Text messages are limited to 160 characters. On many phones, if a message exceeds 160 characters, the OS will be able to put it back together and still show it as a single message to both the sender and receiver.

On CDMA networks this doesn?t always seem to work as well as on GSM and once an SMS hits 160 characters, any additional text is split off into a second message, after 320, a third message, etc. The same content is still delivered, it?s just not presented as nicely. (In some cases the message parts might even appear out of order which is even more annoying.)

Again, some users claim to seldom if ever experience this problem in the real world, others say it happens often enough to annoy them.

http://www.tipb.com/2011/10/09/verizon-sprint-iphone-4s-limitations-cdma/

06FG2

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
so i have verizon what type would that be CDMA?

Long texts are sent through one text.

Me and my gf both had Andorid phones..Some texts were almost 5 'pages' as we liked to call it, and it sent it as one text.

I have the iPhone now, and she is still on the Andorid, and she gets my texts as 1, and i get her's as 1.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
With my friends on Android, the messages are always split, but not so with my friend on iPhone. I'm on Sprint.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
If they are more than 160 characters, they are broken up. Sometimes iPhones can communicate to each other without breaking up messages. It's random. Sorry.

its not random.... on at&t iPhones that talk to iPhones can send larger then 160 maybe on other phones as well on at&t

on verizon the capability isnt there there for the texts are sent in multiple messages if a verizon iphone sends a longer message to a at&t phone they will be split up... sprint might support longer messages too but its definitely not random..

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
SMS/Text messages are limited to 160 characters. On many phones, if a message exceeds 160 characters, the OS will be able to put it back together and still show it as a single message to both the sender and receiver.

On CDMA networks this doesn?t always seem to work as well as on GSM and once an SMS hits 160 characters, any additional text is split off into a second message, after 320, a third message, etc. The same content is still delivered, it?s just not presented as nicely. (In some cases the message parts might even appear out of order which is even more annoying.)

Again, some users claim to seldom if ever experience this problem in the real world, others say it happens often enough to annoy them.

http://www.tipb.com/2011/10/09/verizon-sprint-iphone-4s-limitations-cdma/

this is semi incorrect also...

the carrier can support larger text messages which is why when sending from at&t to at&t phones the message isnt split.. if a verizon phone sends to a at&t phone with a longer message it will be split up same with sprint phones sending to at&t

its not the phone that fixes it. Its the capability of the network..

Theres a special name for the feature on the network that supports longer messages but I can't remember what its called.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
this is semi incorrect also...

the carrier can support larger text messages which is why when sending from at&t to at&t phones the message isnt split.. if a verizon phone sends to a at&t phone with a longer message it will be split up same with sprint phones sending to at&t

its not the phone that fixes it. Its the capability of the network..

Theres a special name for the feature on the network that supports longer messages but I can't remember what its called.

You can talk to the TIPB guys about that, all i did was quote them haha

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I know that if I send Verizon to Verizon I can go pretty long without the message getting broken up. Luckily most people I text now have iMessage so I don't have to worry about the length.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711