[RESOLVED] Siri Going Nuts, Can't Use Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

queensugar

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey --

So I've Googled and can't find anyone who has had a similar problem.

Earlier today, I answered a phone call, and as soon as it was done, told Siri to remind me to do something on Monday.

Siri promptly went berserk. Let me see if I can describe this accurately.

Siri is narrating everything that happens on the touch-screen, but the touch-screen is not doing what it's supposed to be doing. Every time I touch anything on screen, a little dotted selection-area box comes up around the item, and Siri narrates what I've touched. But I can't interact with it the way that it's supposed to.

For instance, with several taps I can manage to get the slide-bar to slide to get me to the passcode screen -- but I cannot enter a passcode. If I touch the numbers, Siri will narrate them -- "Three-two-three-two" -- but they do not enter in the passcode space. If I try touching the passcode spaces first, she says "Empty password field. Four values required. Secure for text field. Please enter."

Siri will respond to my voice but doesn't seem to know anything or do anything. She's also speaking twice as fast as normal, and asks me to double-tap everything.

I've done the hard reset on the phone, that does nothing, the problem persists.

I'm trying to avoid restoring the phone software, because since I can't enter my passcode iTunes won't let me back up my data, and I spent all day getting my contacts in order. If that's what has to be done, then so be it, but I'm hoping someone will have an idea of what's going on and how I can fix it.

Any ideas?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You have the "accessibility" option for voice over activated...just go turn it off. Its under general settings and "accessibility". You may also have speak selection and speak auto text on...check those off too.

queensugar

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Awesome, thanks.

Follow-up question: how can I make the passcode work with those options to get into the phone to change it? I've tried saying the passcode in different ways, it doesn't register.

queensugar

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
She won't let me, no, and I can't seem to do anything voice or touchscreen related to get the passcode to enter. I'm totally locked out.

I also just had a message pop up on the pre-passcode screen, and now I can't make the slidebar work either so I can't get to the passcode entry screen at all.

queensugar

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I finally found someone else who had the same issue -- apparently a restore didn't work for them to fix the issue. :( At least I can back up now so won't hurt, but will try to fix it another way.

I managed to get past the passcode and into settings. Problem now is I can't scroll down, so I can't get to the accessibility option. Sigh. This is unnecessarily frustrating.

queensugar

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh hallelujah, I fixed it.

Will leave this here in case anyone else has the same frustration -- I feel a bit dumb since this is obviously a feature of the phone, but on the other hand it really seemed like a bug and was annoying to fix -- and when I went through Apple help, it didn't exactly make it obvious this was connected to the VoiceOver Accessibility option. (And how the heck did it get turned on?)

For the record, for anyone else who gets stuck in this pickle, you need to flick three fingers on the screen hard to scroll down on the settings screens.

Thanks for the help -- pointing me in the right direction made all the difference. :)

rarneson

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! My sister-in-law had the same problem, her daughter somehow turned this feature on and she couldn't get to the Accessibility options.

highsign

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Such Relief!

This happened exactly this way to me, too.

Apparently my toddler had somehow activated the Accessibility feature on the phone: I visited the Apple website and it worked!

apple website -> accessibility / iphone / vision

Once I was able to figure out how it worked, I was able to enter my passcode and go to settings, etc without having to restart or reset my phone.

Phew!

Adam Grice

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Siri Going Nuts, Can't Use Phone

I couldnt even get passed the passcode

A double or tripple click on the home button

Worked for me hope it works for you

:)

1tracy

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

Thanks heaps your comments really helped I've been trying for two days to work out what my son did to his iPad, now all fix
Thank you!!!

Peter Gruning

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site

Sorry that you're having the problem. Here's my experience: I just got an iphone SE today. I didn't turn on Siri. It came on anyway. I couldn't get into the phone--entering the pass code did no good. Hard-started the phone several times but still couldn't open the phone. Siri voice kept instructing to enter pass code, but entering the pass code did no good. Tried using three-finger slide down the screen but it did no good. Finally kept tapping the screen until it presented the normal pass code screen without Siri involved. Entered the pass code, got into the phone, went into "settings," went into "Siri" and turned it off. I hope this never happens again. I'm an Apple fan but question the purchase now.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Sorry that you're having the problem. Here's my experience: I just got an iphone SE today. I didn't turn on Siri. It came on anyway. I couldn't get into the phone--entering the pass code did no good. Hard-started the phone several times but still couldn't open the phone. Siri voice kept instructing to enter pass code, but entering the pass code did no good. Tried using three-finger slide down the screen but it did no good. Finally kept tapping the screen until it presented the normal pass code screen without Siri involved. Entered the pass code, got into the phone, went into "settings," went into "Siri" and turned it off. I hope this never happens again. I'm an Apple fan but question the purchase now.

Remember these smartphones are just tiny computers. Glitches happen. I would call Apple Support and describe what happened. See what they say. If it happens again, I would try Reset All Settings.

Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

jlcalkins1356

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site

Oh hallelujah, I fixed it.

Will leave this here in case anyone else has the same frustration -- I feel a bit dumb since this is obviously a feature of the phone, but on the other hand it really seemed like a bug and was annoying to fix -- and when I went through Apple help, it didn't exactly make it obvious this was connected to the VoiceOver Accessibility option. (And how the heck did it get turned on?)

For the record, for anyone else who gets stuck in this pickle, you need to flick three fingers on the screen hard to scroll down on the settings screens.

Thanks for the help -- pointing me in the right direction made all the difference. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2