Just wanted to your thoughts on battery life

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
So I've read a lot of articles on line. I am planning on leaving BlackBerry (9700 - which gets me 1.5 days of heavy use in battery life) to the iPhone 4s.

After reading everything from Apple, to Engadget and all over the web and diagnostics, I wanted to get your opinion on my theory.

My Theory - this is a software issue not a hardware issue. Thus a new OS update would/could be a dramatic fix.

The other thing, 4 million iPhones sold in the first weekend and there aren't 4 million upset customers so there seems to be a battery issue in just some, not all; thus, could there be a defective batch of poorly written software?

Just wanted your thoughts,

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
My 4S battery life is great and I use the heck out of it. I get a full day and about 7 hours of use out of it.

It seems like an isolated issue. I wouldn't worry.

If possible, buy from an Apple store. If there are any issues, they take really good care of you.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
My 4S battery life is great and I use the heck out of it. I get a full day and about 7 hours of use out of it.

It seems like an isolated issue. I wouldn't worry.

If possible, buy from an Apple store. If there are any issues, they take really good care of you.

the apple store will help you out no matter where you buy it... its covered by there warranty I bought from at&t and I can walk into any apple store and get help

jlp916

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I came from BB (had a solid 9700 then a 9800 for 4 months before getting the 4s) and I haven't had issues with the battery life of the 4s. I expected it to not be quite as good as my BB's but on the other hand I'm using alot more features regularly on the iPhone than I did on BB. I usually put it on the charger overnight like I did with my BB.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
My Theory - this is a software issue not a hardware issue. Thus a new OS update would/could be a dramatic fix.
It is.

The other thing, 4 million iPhones sold in the first weekend and there aren't 4 million upset customers so there seems to be a battery issue in just some, not all; thus, could there be a defective batch of poorly written software?
It's actually a software/usage issue. Everyone's usage is not identical.

Last edited:

chris3896

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm a long time blackberry and android user. I never had an issue with android battery life but a lot of people did. I tried the 9930 which had an amazing keyboard but the battery life in the new OS in combination with the touchscreen made the battery last far less then I was expecting from a blackberry. I switched to the iPhone and the battery is a little underwhelming as well. I dont think it's an OS issue it has to do with the fact that it has two cores. The iPhone 4 runs the same OS and gets far better battery life than my 4S. That being said I get about 12 hours in one charge and the phone recharges completely in less than an hour. so really unless you are away from an outlet for a really long time you shouldn't have any issues.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So I've read a lot of articles on line. I am planning on leaving BlackBerry (9700 - which gets me 1.5 days of heavy use in battery life) to the iPhone 4s.

After reading everything from Apple, to Engadget and all over the web and diagnostics, I wanted to get your opinion on my theory.

The other thing, 4 million iPhones sold in the first weekend and there aren't 4 million upset customers so there seems to be a battery issue in just some, not all...

Well summarized. There was a survey of TiPb readers done last week and IIRC battery issues are being experienced by 20-25% of folks here. I'm sure Apple is trying to figure out what's going on.

I doubt you will get 1.5 days of heavy use out of the iPhone 4S battery. Charge it every night and you'll probably be fine.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm pleasantly surprised by the battery life on the iPhone 4S. It is really good. I can get about 20 hours with moderate use. For a touchscreen device with the features this phone has, it's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

pecker115

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Now my battery has seemed to settled down i'm gettin about 65-70%drain over a full day with fairly heavy use, only thing i've turned off is weather and stock widgets, and that is with locations services on too, this is far better than my 3gs ever was

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I have to charge my 4S once a day, which to me seems typical of any modern phone with touchscreen and moderate/heavy use. My BB 9800 had to be charged once a day, sometimes twice if I did a lot of heavy use.

I don't understand changing all sorts of settings or turning features off to extend battery life. I mean, I have a charger in my car, at home, and in my office. This phone was meant to be used and have fun with. Why turn off the features that make it cool just to preserve battery life?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
While some people do have a problem with the battery life on the 4S, I absolutely love the battery life on my 4S. I can easily make it through 2 days before a recharge is needed.

4705716e-466c-d643.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

ahoura

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok I have blackberry 9700, iphone, and an ipad.

BB - the blackberry with service activated and high usage can go up to 8 hoursish.

iPhone - I have 2 iphones, one is mine and another is just there. the one I use constantly has a battery life of good 7-8 upto 10 hours with medium usage (playing games **(depending on the game)). the other iphone however only lasts for about 4-5 hours.

iPad - the ipad lasts upto 10 hours with medium and nice apps, however with highusage (watching videos etc, it will consume 5-6% battery every 25 mins.

Here is what you need to do to keep a good battery life :

1. keep the device in a cool condition (room temp)
2. when charging make sure the device is not overloading and heating up. if this happens try and remove your cover (if you have one)
3. try and avoid humidity.
4. charge your battery fully and then disconnect your device.

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
While some people do have a problem with the battery life on the 4S, I absolutely love the battery life on my 4S. I can easily make it through 2 days before a recharge is needed.

Click to view quoted image

Can you break down the difference between the Usage and Standby under the "Time since last full charge"?

I'm assuming Usage means how much you've used your device since the last full charge and Standby is how many hours it's just been sitting unused?

Another question kind of off subject, but under the "Cellular Usage - Cellular Network Data" mine says "Sent - 31.3 MB" and "Received - 230MB". So does that mean I've only used roughly 260MB of data? I've had the phone since October 14th. Seems like I haven't eaten up much data at all... :eek:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Can you break down the difference between the Usage and Standby under the "Time since last full charge"?

I'm assuming Usage means how much you've used your device since the last full charge and Standby is how many hours it's just been sitting unused?

Another question kind of off subject, but under the "Cellular Usage - Cellular Network Data" mine says "Sent - 31.3 MB" and "Received - 230MB". So does that mean I've only used roughly 260MB of data? I've had the phone since October 14th. Seems like I haven't eaten up much data at all... :eek:

Standby time is the total amount of time that the iPhone has been off the charger. Not sure about Cellular usage as I don't pay attention to that.

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
[I don't understand changing all sorts of settings or turning features off to extend battery life. I mean, I have a charger in my car, at home, and in my office. This phone was meant to be used and have fun with. Why turn off the features that make it cool just to preserve battery life?[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with this...why diminish the cool aspects of your phone just to save a little battery. buy an extra charger and you will be fine. I too have a charger at work at my desk so I never have a problem. I give it a quick charge before I leave for the day and I'm good all night.

I think its about the same as my 4 was. thats what it is with full touchscreen phones..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711