Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default Phone display blanks, with my finger in a certain location

I first noticed this using the phone's keypad (not the normal one used to first dial a number, but, the one that comes up AFTER you are connected (along with the speaker, etc.)). When I tried to press the number 1, the screen blanked (blinked) and the number wasn't entered. EACH time I tried to press 1, this happened, all other numbers worked fine, the normal keypad's number 1 worked fine.

Then, I noticed just placing my finger over the screen in the position that the secondary keypad's number 1 would be, also blanked the screen. I don't see any sensor I'm covering, and, it does this with the rubber bumper (around the edge of the phone) on or off. This is a brand-new 4s, and, I first synched it with my old 4, but, last night nuked it and loaded as a new device...doing the same thing...

AND, sometimes I make calls, and, hear nothing (no dialing, no ringing no answers, but, I've connected. People on the other end don't hear anything either, even though I'm talking.

Is this a defective phone, or, what?

iPhone Intermediate

293 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,607 Global Posts

Sounds like you're tripping the proximity sensor.