Wrong IPhone name showing on My Computer

damenace

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I updated Mine and my wifes IPhone 4s to iOS 5.0, when I open up the My Computer on My Pc, it's showing My wifes name for her iphone instead of mine like it used to. However, in iTunes it still shows the correct name. Just noticed this today. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

damenace

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I updated Mine and my wifes IPhone 4s to iOS 5.0, when I open up the My Computer on My Pc, it's showing My wifes name for her iphone instead of mine like it used to. However, in iTunes it still shows the correct name. Just noticed this today. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

auntiewiv

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Got the exact same problem. Not a biggie but would love a fix if anyone has one :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

damenace

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Aight well I'm glad it's not just me. The weird thing is that on her phone when she tries to update or buy anything on the iTunes store, it shows my email address and asks for my password. But when I double check the settings, the phone shows her logged into her Apple iD. This problem started when we updated to iOS 5 and I haven't been able to find any solutions. Very frustrating since they both worked perfect before the update. Neither problem is a big deal, I gave her my password so she can still update and buy stuff, just annoying.

TROUT2054

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here. My PC crashed the same night I finally got the IOS 5 to update on my iphone 4 and after getting a new user up and running on my wife's computer, when I plug in my phone to my itunes account it shows my name in itunes but under My Computer it shows her name. Odd considering that my device was never named in her name....

Any suggestions would be great.

damenace

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I can't seem to find anything about this issue online.

The weird thing is that on her phone when she tries to update or buy anything on the iTunes store, it shows my email address and asks for my password. But when I double check the settings, the phone shows her logged into her Apple iD. This problem started when we updated to iOS 5 and I haven't been able to find any solutions. Very frustrating since they both worked perfect before the update. Neither problem is a big deal, I gave her my password so she can still update and buy stuff, just annoying.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Aight well I'm glad it's not just me. The weird thing is that on her phone when she tries to update or buy anything on the iTunes store, it shows my email address and asks for my password. But when I double check the settings, the phone shows her logged into her Apple iD. This problem started when we updated to iOS 5 and I haven't been able to find any solutions. Very frustrating since they both worked perfect before the update. Neither problem is a big deal, I gave her my password so she can still update and buy stuff, just annoying.

given her your password wasnt the best idea. now she is going to have drm applications from two seperate accounts on her phone meaning some will need your login to update and some will need her log in to update if she can remember the applications she just put on using your account I suggest you delete them and get her account working on her phone or your going to have all kinds of issues down the road with updates.

damenace

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Well I only gave her my password because we've been having this problem for over 2 weeks with no fix in sight, so it was the only thing I could think of to do. She couldn't update, or buy anything during that time so it was getting pretty annoying for her. Thinking about deleting everything in her phone and starting from scratch, but that's really a LAST resort. Plus even if I did that there's no guarantee I wouldn't still have this issue.

Guess I'm gonna have to take this to the apple store or something. No one on here seems to have a fix, although several people have reported having the same problem.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Well I only gave her my password because we've been having this problem for over 2 weeks with no fix in sight, so it was the only thing I could think of to do. She couldn't update, or buy anything during that time so it was getting pretty annoying for her. Thinking about deleting everything in her phone and starting from scratch, but that's really a LAST resort. Plus even if I did that there's no guarantee I wouldn't still have this issue.

Guess I'm gonna have to take this to the apple store or something. No one on here seems to have a fix, although several people have reported having the same problem.

I think where the problem stems is your syncing both phones to the same itunes library on the computer which is going to use the itunes account associated with the itunes library....

theres 2 ways around this

one is making a separate login on the computer so she has her own itunes to sync with or both of you always using the same itunes account...

whats weird to me is that you said that this was working before and as long as I have been messing with iPhones this is the behavior that has happened when syncing to the same itunes library

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm assuming you have two iTunes accounts yours and hers

I would also assume both account are authorized on the same computer I would unauthorized you account and try a restore that way it will back up the info and only restore info the is authorized by her iTunes after this is done do the same to your but unauthorized her account and authorize yours.

Another way flat out do a restore and set as new and login to her iTunes and re download all purchased apps .. Also make a way to easily restore contacts using iCloud or gmail.

Something sounds like when the phone updated it restored using different backup files

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

damenace

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah prior to iOS 5 our phones where setup on the same ITunes and it would see both of our phones as 2 separate units, the apple Id was always on the right phone, and the MY Computer would always show the correct iPhone name. Now however, it shows her iPhone name in my computer regardless which one of ours is plugged in but ITunes does show the correct phone at all times, so that's good. My phone shows my correct apple id and uses mine when I open iTunes or the app store on my phone. Her phone in the settings will show her apple id as the one shes logged into, but in iTunes and the app store it will use my apple id. Her phone has never been logged into my apple id before this, so I have no idea what is causing this.

damenace

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Only reason I haven't used two different desktop signins with 2 different iTunes before is because then we would have to re-download all the music and movies onto that new signin. By having both our phones on the same iTunes but with different apple ids we were able to share the movies, music, and apps on that library. Made it much more convenient.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Only reason I haven't used two different desktop signins with 2 different iTunes before is because then we would have to re-download all the music and movies onto that new signin. By having both our phones on the same iTunes but with different apple ids we were able to share the movies, music, and apps on that library. Made it much more convenient.

ya I can understand that.. its a bummer that it quit working... I would try restoring her phone as new and syncing everything over again...

damenace

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's a good idea. Hopefully that will clear it up. Still don't know why My Computer lists my iPhone in her name. Very weird. Plus my iPhone won't sync all the way, it stalls at the end of it everytime. But I've seen a lot of people complaining about this issue, so I'm not too worried about it. Doesn't seem to be any fixes for that either.

Frustrating cause prior to ios5 my iPhone worked perfect and so did hers. We had zero issues. Now all these little problems keep coming up. Hoping for an update or something.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that's a good idea. Hopefully that will clear it up. Still don't know why My Computer lists my iPhone in her name. Very weird. Plus my iPhone won't sync all the way, it stalls at the end of it everytime. But I've seen a lot of people complaining about this issue, so I'm not too worried about it. Doesn't seem to be any fixes for that either.

Frustrating cause prior to ios5 my iPhone worked perfect and so did hers. We had zero issues. Now all these little problems keep coming up. Hoping for an update or something.

well im sure once you get it working it will work fine.. ios5 is a good update for the most part the added features are nice...

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
This happen to me on Windows 7 computer. Plug in my girlfriends iPhone just to charge it (never synced it with my iTunes) and then everytime I plug in my phone "Computer" would show her iPhone name.

After upgrading to the iPhone 4S, when I plugged it in, Windows 7 re-installed the driver for it or whatever, and now it just shows up as Apple iPhone.

TROUT2054

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I think where the problem stems is your syncing both phones to the same itunes library on the computer which is going to use the itunes account associated with the itunes library....

theres 2 ways around this

one is making a separate login on the computer so she has her own itunes to sync with or both of you always using the same itunes account...

whats weird to me is that you said that this was working before and as long as I have been messing with iPhones this is the behavior that has happened when syncing to the same itunes library

-----------------

This is actually where mine started. My PC crashed after the update and I was left using my wife's PC so I created a new user on her laptop, then once on my own name I logged into itunes as myself since we both have our own login information. I was able to make sure my information showed up on her PC...in itunes my phone comes up as it should in my name. However, under the start menu then My Computer, it shows my wife's name. I am a bit hesitant about a complete restore.

damenace

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Update: I deleted all media and data from my iPhone then restored from backup. My phone is now finishing its syncing instead of stalling everytime like it used to! So I'm very happy with that.

My Computer still shows my wife's iPhone name though. But whatever, it shows up correctly in iTunes so I'm not worried about it. Must be a Windows issue.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal