Wrong IPhone name showing on My Computer

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Update: I deleted all media and data from my iPhone then restored from backup. My phone is now finishing its syncing instead of stalling everytime like it used to! So I'm very happy with that.

My Computer still shows my wife's iPhone name though. But whatever, it shows up correctly in iTunes so I'm not worried about it. Must be a Windows issue.

glad that that part is resolved.. but your still having the login issue im assuming?

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
-----------------

This is actually where mine started. My PC crashed after the update and I was left using my wife's PC so I created a new user on her laptop, then once on my own name I logged into itunes as myself since we both have our own login information. I was able to make sure my information showed up on her PC...in itunes my phone comes up as it should in my name. However, under the start menu then My Computer, it shows my wife's name. I am a bit hesitant about a complete restore.

I think that windows is having a problem showing it correctly.. I would assume as long as its showing it correctly in "itunes" you will be fine

jakejohnson21

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
wrong name showing up

i know its nto an iphone, but my ipod touch was doing the same thing, i restored ti then ran the backup. im in the process of doing it now, not sure if it will work or not, but worth a try

astorath

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I found this and it worked

Type regedit into your search bar and bring up Registry editor. Go to the the very top with My Computer. Now go to Edit and Find. Type in the whole offending name that is bugging you, i.e. Soandso's iPhone and hit find. After it searches your registry and finds the first name select it and Edit the Name. I copy/pasted it for all the next steps. After you have found the first name don't stop there. Use F3 to find next Name in registry and So on and so fourth until you have replaced every offending name in your whole registry with the Name you want to show up i.e. Tom's iPhone or whatever? Repeat all of these steps if you have more than one name showing up in your devices? Worked 100% for me. Close regedit and reboot (very important for changes.) Plug your iPhone back in and enjoy all your names back to normal. Includes all names for Windows Explorer, Autoplay, and Import... You are welcome!

I found this on another website.

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Need to go to settings and scroll down to "Store". When you open it , go to the bottom and check what email address is listed. I am sure when you put in the correct email address , that should solve the problem. I had the same problem with my wife's and daughter's iphone. Changed the addresses and solved the problem.

damenace

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Already tried that. Her phone shows her email address in the store settings but when she goes to buy something it shows my email address.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Already tried that. Her phone shows her email address in the store settings but when she goes to buy something it shows my email address.

if she has purchased things from both accounts on her phone its never going to be just one address on her phone... apple itunes store applications have drm on there applications that locks the applications to a certain account.

damenace

May 4, 2011
Visit site
She hasn't. This problem happened the day we upgraded to 5.0. She went to buy something right after upgrading and it showed my email. It had never done that before in the almost a year we've both had iPhones.

We've both always synced our iPhones to the same iTunes on the same computer and this was never an issue. Something about 5.0 changed that.

It's not a big deal really. Thought it was something easy that could be fixed but from reading replies across multiple sites other people are having the same issues, but I haven't seen anything that fixes it.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
She hasn't. This problem happened the day we upgraded to 5.0. She went to buy something right after upgrading and it showed my email. It had never done that before in the almost a year we've both had iPhones.

We've both always synced our iPhones to the same iTunes on the same computer and this was never an issue. Something about 5.0 changed that.

It's not a big deal really. Thought it was something easy that could be fixed but from reading replies across multiple sites other people are having the same issues, but I haven't seen anything that fixes it.

well I have been supporting iPhones on forums for a long time now and this one certainly stumps me I am surprised that no one else came up with a fix for this either...

paddio

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried this by Astorath and it worked like a charm. Now when I plug it to my pc it shows my name again. Thanks!

Type regedit into your search bar and bring up Registry editor. Go to the the very top with My Computer. Now go to Edit and Find. Type in the whole offending name that is bugging you, i.e. Soandso's iPhone and hit find. After it searches your registry and finds the first name select it and Edit the Name. I copy/pasted it for all the next steps. After you have found the first name don't stop there. Use F3 to find next Name in registry and So on and so fourth until you have replaced every offending name in your whole registry with the Name you want to show up i.e. Tom's iPhone or whatever? Repeat all of these steps if you have more than one name showing up in your devices? Worked 100% for me. Close regedit and reboot (very important for changes.) Plug your iPhone back in and enjoy all your names back to normal. Includes all names for Windows Explorer, Autoplay, and Import... You are welcome!

I found this on another website.

Metallus2000

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Windows fix

glad that that part is resolved.. but your still having the login issue im assuming?

I am not sure if you figured this out yet, but ran across it, so here is the fix for changing the name in windows.

Unplug your iPhone from the computer
Go to control panel
Click on hardware and sound
click on devices and printers
right click on the offending iPhone name
click on properties
click on driver tab
uninstall iPhone
Plug iPhone back in

Now I have seen some folks tell you go into the registry and fix it, but do that at your own risk.

Ken:)

Addy1185

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Okay so all you have to do is go under the SUMMARY tab in the itunes library when your phone is plugged in and double click on your wifes name.. Erase it and put yours back in. it seems to me that you havent lost data, its just a name issue.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro