To everyone who has owned both an iPhone and a droid?

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I felt the Epic and a Galaxy both had excellent cameras. Both were 8MP before 8MP was widely around.

The 4S has matched that spec, but I would argue that for the majority of people even the iPhone 4's 5 MP camera produced images just as good as most of the 8 MP cams.

The problem with judging images from different cameras is that so much is subjective. A professional photographer will see details and color rendering very differently from the average consumer. Most people prefer over saturated colors and sharpness near & far. Pros will want truer colors and at least the option for a shallow depth of field.

I think more important than the actual images are some of the more practical considerations. How fast can you turn the camera on and get that first shot? How fast for the subsequent shots? How quickly & well does the camera focus? How well does it do in low light situations? These are all important almost every time you use the camera. It won't matter how great the image is if you can't get the camera ready in time or you need a tripod to use it.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
If you're going to put the iphone up against the original Droid, then in all fairness you have to go back to either the iphone 2 or 3GS. That being said, I had an original Droid.
Looking at the the Bionic vs the 4s, is pretty much apples and organges with both being called a fruit (or a smart phone). I took a good look at both before settling on the 4s. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. What bothered me about the Bionic is that there are a lot of Droids out there which tells me more effort is being put into the quantities of phones rather than the quality. Imagine one or two Droids being done with the focus of all that R&D talent, but competiton can sometimes say otherwise. The next thing is that one company makes the OS while others make the phone. So who's making the shoe and who's making the foot. Apple makes both the OS and the hardware so the chances of their working together are a bit better IMHO.
So the bottom line is to figure out what's more important after considering the pro's and con's of each system....:confused:

DANNCAS

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
lol eye site

I had owned an iPhone 3 on ATT and then it went for a swim, shortly after I switched to VZ and they did not have the iPhone so I went with the HTC Incredible. I always liked the iPhone and own a Macbook so everything worked well together. The Incredible for me has not really been an issue, it had worked well and only once in a blue moon might get buggy but otherwise it has been good to me. Battery life was better on the iPhone especially with heavy use. I have had a few friends with the thunderbolt and that phone has been a nightmare for them.

I am now trying to decide myself what phone I would like to get, as of now it is between the iPhone and the new Galaxy Nexus coming out. Since being in my 40's my eyesight sucks and leaning towards a bigger screen but do like the IOS.

57 here bud I have the Galaxy SII big screen real nice.but the phone is big soon we will be putting tables to our ears. You might want to admitt you need bifocals. Im not happy with Android so my Iphone is in the mail.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, if you are out and need a pic of something in a pinch and don't have your whole kit with you, or don't have time to get it out and on before the opportunity is missed.

The best camera is the one you have with you?

I get your point, but what happens in 5 more years when the norm is 16mp cameras....we gonna have those in our phones too? I just personally don't see a need for pictures that size, especially from my phone. As long as it takes good quality pictures, I'm happy....if I had a need for good quality pictures to mount on the side of a building, I would carry a nice "real" camera with me. To me, the largest size I would ever need/want from a phone would be around 1600x1200 or so which is what? 2MP?

What would the actual photo size be from an 8MP camera at full resolution?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
You might not, but there are lots of people out there that would absolutely want such a quality on their phone, myself included. It would make my job a hell of a lot easier and a lot less crap for me to lug. Like RedChirp says, if you have it on you, it's the best there is. You just never know. If 16MP cameras were available in my phone, hells yea I'd be all over it.

What is your definition of full resolution? Full size at 72DPI (what many cameras register the photo as)? Or the largest size for quality printable resolution which is normally 300+DPI?

2MP would qualify as 1600x1200 which is about 22ish inches by 16.5inches at 72 DPI. It would be serviceable when printed to about 3x5 or MAYBE 4x6 at a photo processing place, probably a bit pixellated. But having the 8MP creates less interpolation of the images, making the image print MUCH MUCH better, and larger from that same image without weird pixellation.

To someone like me, that's a HUGE deal. Especially when the camera quality beyond just MPs is factored in.

ETA: missed your question about 8MP full size: 3264x2448 (45"x34" about) pixels thereabouts which would allow for a high quality print of about 8x10. maybe 8.5x11. A slightly lesser quality of 11x17ish would also probably be feasable.

ETA2: for someone in graphics having a high quality image that dimension and resolution makes a huge HUGE difference.

Last edited:

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Who makes the best android device out of those companies you listed?

It's a toss up between Motorola and Samsung with a very slight edge to Moto. I really think Motorola is back to making really good hardware which made them famous over a decade ago. Their devices have good battery life and are fast. I also think the Droid Razr is going to be a fantastic smartphone giving all the competition a run for the money. It's display is awesome!

A marriage with Google will be a big win for Moto if approved, that will pay big dividends in the future.

Mr.Mcgoo

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
57 here bud I have the Galaxy SII big screen real nice.but the phone is big soon we will be putting tables to our ears. You might want to admitt you need bifocals. Im not happy with Android so my Iphone is in the mail.

Yea I have purchased some readers that I am using but figure I will eventually have to get bifocals, Just a year and a half my eyes changed its crazy...

mellisnj

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have only had an iPhone for a little over a day now and though I do miss the openness of Android to a degree, this early experience with the iPhone has been excellent and a little better in comparison to my early experience with Android. App integration on the iPhone is hands down top notch in comparison and I'm an app whore so this is right up my alley.

xialo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I had a droid x, so glad I moved to the 4s, the battery life alone is reason enough to make the move. Going from barely making it through the work day to having 80% left when i leave work is wonderful, no longer need to carry a charger with me everywhere.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
To people who have owned both phones which is the better phone and more popular in your opinion?
As with any "better" question on any topic, it depends on your preferences and criteria. Which one I think is better doesn't matter unless yours happen to exactly line up with mine. There are pros and cons on both sides on the fence despite what fanboys in either camp will tell you. What are you specifically looking for? What does and does not matter to you?

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
This question can really only be answer by the user. Some thoughts though:

1) UI-Two total different approaches. Android lets you customize pretty much anything you want, while Apple continues to keep you in the box. Now, is the end result really that different? At the end of the day, I dont think so. You have to do more poking around in IOS to get to information or settings, but the functionality is pretty much the same. The biggest difference is connection to information. Android will update all day in the background, meaning that the widgets give you real time info. On IOS, you have to go into the app, and let it update before you presented with the information you are looking for. This plays a major part in..................
2) Battery life-IOS hands down has better battery life than Android. IOS, when not being used does pretty much nothing other than pulling emails and Text messages. No updating of stocks, weather, news or anything else is happening unless you go into the app and open it up. Android will automatically bring down info on a schedule that you determine. It can be once an hour, once every for hours and so on.
3) Camera's-For Android it is hit or miss. Motorola's camera's are not that great, while the Samsung Galaxy S2 has a camera equal to or better than the Iphone 4S.
4) Web Browsing-Android beats apple. Its not because of flash, which IMO is not that big of a deal. Its in text reflow when you double tap to zoom. The safari browser formats the pages for a one stage zoom. the Android browser will reflow the text when you double tap so that the text is much larger and easier to read. On some web sites, I have to turn my 4S into landscape to make the text big enough to read which is annoying. In terms of speed, both browsers are fast enough.
5) Apps-There are virtually no apps not availble in the App Store that are available in the Android Market. The Android market has almost all of the big name apps that the App store has with the exception of games. Tiny Wings and Infinity Blade are two that jump to my mind. Apps that are on both Android and IOS are very similar though. Both have good UI's and are stable.
6) Stability-I would say that both are pretty much on par. I have used the GS2 recently and it was flawless. Never had any issues with the phone not working. IOS is also rock solid. I dont see the stability issue being a major selling point anymore. The latest Gingerbread builds are great and ICS is another step up.
7) Fragmentation-Absolutely an issue on Android. Many apps that are released only work on certian devices. OS updates are painfully slow. I believe Samsung has about 7 differnt models running on 50 different carriers. Each carrier has a slightly "tweaked" version of the touchwiz interface. Thats alot of differnent devices that have to be updated which explains why it can take 6 months, or more, to get an update. IOS, is obviously the opposite. An update comes out and you get it right away. Buying apps is also becoming a more frustrating experience on Android. Android has the Market, the Amazon App store as well as several app producers who only sell on thier own web sites. This makes finding an app frustrating. The app store is your ones stop shop. No fuss, no muss.
8) Sycing-Itunes remains the gold standard for ease of syncing your music and movies. Each Android OEM has their own version of syncing software and quite frankly, they all suck.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. For me, battery life is pretty much the most important factor. I have yet to find an Android phone that comes close to matching IOS. My GS2 would discharge at a rate of 6-7% an hour.(14-16 hours until dead). And that was with light usage. My Iphone, with the same usage patterns discharges around 4-5% an hour (20-25 hours until dead). Thats a huge difference.

My advice, as always it try them both out and see which ones works best for you. Its not longer a function of which is better, its which is better for that particular person.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
nothing will beat or top apple and the iphone they are the king!

You've echoed this through out this thread (and others)...and it begs the question, why even start this post in the first place? Were you attempting to bait some people into discussing the android hand sets in a positive light so that you could retort with the kind of gem of a response like we see quoted above?

Reactions: roll-tide

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
You've echoed this through out this thread (and others)...and it begs the question, why even start this post in the first place? Were you attempting to bait some people into discussing the android hand sets in a positive light so that you could retort with the kind of gem of a response like we see quoted above?

I asked generally the same question a while back with no answer from the OP....doesn't make much sense does it?

mysimba97

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I am transitioning from an original Motorola Droid to the iPhone 4S, but I currently have an iPod Touch.

I like the following in Android OS -
  • Predictive text after a few letters
  • Notifications
  • SD card for music, apps, etc.

I like the following in iPhone OS -
  • Cleaner OS
  • OS transitions from apps is MUCH quicker
  • Apps are FAR less buggy
  • Combined mail box

Reactions: Allesandro

peterthomas

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion as all of us know that the iPhone is against the jail breaking, and they are even taking stands against those going for jail breaking stuff!
And android industry on the other hand is a free and open source type of industry, where there is no one company rule, everyone can simply create or modify any type of software they want!
Thats why since I ve been with both the devices my personal views are that if one has to choose, he/she should go for the Android.
On the other hand if you have no interest in the development and too many application customization etc, the you should simply go for the iphone as that has better user experience and a nice style and an easy to use system.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had a least 4 Android devices and ended up going back to my iPhones after a very short period of time. It's not that I thought my iphone was better, but it fits my needs more.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen