Pirated/Stolen Apps

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I'm happy to see your thoughts on Jailbreaking. So I'll take your stances on that to mean that you are mostly against Siri being added to the iPhone 4. Am I correct?

aberrant.chicken

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I, too, disagree with how people are generalizing jailbreakers to be pirates. Even those people who developes jailbreaking tools are against pirating.
People jailbreak for many different reasons.... from the beginning when there were no unlocked iphones, the only way to be able to use an iphone was to jailbreak and unlock it with ultrasn0w to now where there are unlocked phones but you pay a hefty price or have to look to other countries to be able to get your hands on an unlocked iphone simply because the country they live in do no have carriers that carry iphones.
Some other people jailbreak so they can take full potential or modify their iphones to suit them the best. When apple does not really listen to consumers on their feedbacks, others step forward to fix the issues themselves. The whole notification system that the ios5 is sporting now came from jailbreakers who wrote tweaks and apps to modify the not very practical notification system that existed in ios4. Apps and tweaks like lockinfo, call bar, and missed notifications actually made one's ios4 look and work like ios5. Should apple be sued and take responsibility for integrating these functions into ios5 because these functions were made possible before ios5 came out? I don't think so either. I have a jailbroken iphone4 because of the above stated reasons and not because I jailbroke so I can get apps for free. With all the tweaks that I BOUGHT (yes you read right, I paid for them) on Cydia, the only reason I would consider upgrading to ios5 is only for iMessage and not for Siri.
I was a developer on bb so I know how bad it feels when someone just rips you off by getting their hands on something that you have invested time in for free.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: redbeard

Squeeze Play

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about the majority but its definitely a nice percentage. I write music and for that reason I refuse to steal what someone else has taken the time and energy to create. I had a jailbroken iPhone 3GS and then a jailbroken iPhone 4 and I never put a stolen app on either of them. It would have been really easy to do so the only reason that I didn't do it was because I just didn't feel right. Why don't these people think that stealing access to Siri is wrong?

Same here. I love using a jailbroken iPhone, but I never steal or used pirated apps on it. I use my jailbreak to enhance and extend functionality on my iPhone.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Majority? I respectfully disagree. If the majority JB'd to get paid apps for free, why would a developer create an app for JB'd phones and charge for it. There wouldn't be anything in it for him if there were not enough people buying them. Why would Saurik maintain Cydia? It would serve no purpose for him either.

Of course there are those that install cracked apps. There are thieves everywhere. But, I choose to believe that the majority are moral and pay for what they install.

You ever been to China?

You can go into any cell shops and they will jailbreak your iPhone and install a suite of 100 or so of the most popular apps and games. This accounts for a huuuuuge percentage of jail breakers, I have no doubt about it.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Wow! Never knew that! Somebody should call Apple! They'll probably get 75 years! LOL! The cops don't play over there! People actually went to prison for leaking iPhone/iPad info.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Regardless of all that Siri should be protected! It's not just a game like Angry Birds! Too many people can cripple it!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy to see your thoughts on Jailbreaking. So I'll take your stances on that to mean that you are mostly against Siri being added to the iPhone 4. Am I correct?

Not sure if you mean me here, but I'm happy to share my thoughts. Basically, they are that I am all for jailbreaking and all against pirating paid apps. It might be of interest, in light of the way this thread has gone, to know that I was jailbroken for a couple of years--and used a ton of tweaks and jailbreak apps available for free in Cydia--before I purchased my first jailbreak app (BiteSMS).

I've since gone on to purchase other jb apps, but it goes to show that the community has always been more interested in extending the functionality of iDevices above making money. For as long as I can remember, the number of free apps, tweaks, and themes available in Cydia has far outweighed the number of paid apps, and if all people were interested in was stealing App Store apps then 99% of Cydia would not exist. The fact that it does--and that it predominates the jailbreak world--is a testament to the fact that the people who are really interested in the possibilities of jailbreaking itself (as opposed to those who simply view it as a means of circumventing Apple's App Store payments) are people who are primarily interested in extending the functionality of their devices and the design possibilities of iOS (without any hard numbers, I'd guess that the VAST majority of what is available in Cydia are themes, which take exactly zero dollars away from App Store developers--mainly because Apple refuses to allow devs to alter the appearance of iDevices).

For me, jailbreaking is simply about opening up the full potential of the device--to be able to customize it as I see fit so that its features match my needs. More than any other handheld before it, an iDevice is a handheld computer, and I don't believe any of us would accept a computer that we couldn't customize as needed. These days, I don't use a ton of jailbreak apps, but the few I use cover many bases. My main installs are LockInfo and BiteSMS--both of which I purchased a full license for (even though Bite also offers a free version) and both of which cost considerably more than most App Store apps. But these two apps provide something that Apple will not: lockscreen functionality.

With LockInfo I can view, dismiss, or act on a plethora of notifications right from the lockscreen. Additionally, it gives me notifications in the status bar so I can see at a glance what pending issues are awaiting action, and allows me to block the constant pop-up bubbles that accompany every notification in Apple's native interface. With BiteSMS I can compose and reply to text messages right from the lockscreen--or anywhere, in fact--without being forced to open the native Messages app, something that saves me a surprising amount of time each day.

There are plenty of other examples, but this is already a bit outside of the scope of this thread. To get back to the Siri question: I haven't given it much thought, simply because Siri isn't a service that appeals to me very much. The idea of talking to my phone strikes me as fairly ridiculous, especially when I imagine doing it in public. That said, I'm not entirely convinced that porting it to earlier iDevices is tantamount to theft. Apple, after all, isn't selling the service--they're just limiting it to a newer device, presumably due to hardware limitations. (In other words, iPhone 4S buyers aren't paying an extra fee on their plan for using Siri--and they're paying the same price for their device that iPhone 4 buyers paid a little over a year ago.)

A few years ago, Apple limited native video recording to the 3GS, but allowed a lesser quality version for the 3G in apps like Qik and iCamcorder--to me, this seems a similar situation. Users of older devices, if they are able to use Siri at all, will be getting a subpar experience, one that Apple is free not to support. But in the end--and I have neither the time nor inclination to dig through the legalese of the End User Licensing Agreement on the various iPhones--it may not be illegal.

At any rate, the Siri issue is outside my wheelhouse. My main point is simply that there is a vast and vital world of jailbreakers out there--developers, users, themers, and hackers--who have no interest in stealing but every interest in making their device perform to its fullest potential, and those are the people with whom I will always side.

Last edited:

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
To me Siri and video recording have nothin to do with each other and no matter what other thievery you compare it to its still stealing. There will always be those who use a gift or a creation in the wrong way. I have guns in my home because I learned to love them through hunting and my time in the military. I now only use them for the protection of my family. Of course there are those who would use them to take what others have earned and created just like jail breaking. It wasn't created for theft.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Were you this upset when people figured out how to put the new iPhone 4 text tones on the 3GS? Just curious...

Personally, I'd rather have Siri brought to the iPhone 4 and take some of these idiots that damn near kill people every time they pick up their iPhone while they drive than worry about the ethical side of them obtaining such technology. I know that brings up the question of "When do you draw the line?", but to be honest, this is a fairly thin point you have here compared to most software piracy, but alas, a point you still have...i guess I'd just have to honestly say, are you that bent out of shape about it?

Personally, i wish Apple would give iPhone 4 owners the option to BUY Siri support. That would solve my issues with the situation...and give iPhone 4 owners a legitimate option. After that, i absolutely stand by your argument against a jailbroken version...but without that option, to me its a moot point...you have a technology that WILL WORK on the iPhone 4, restricting its use to the 4S exclusively would be like releasing a car and then a year later releasing the identical car with better wheels, wheels that will fit the older version, and having someone make some knock off versions but telling those who want to get the knock offs they are thieves for not buying the OEM model that comes with the wheels...its just silly to me, and something people should get over.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Were you this upset when people figured out how to put the new iPhone 4 text tones on the 3GS? Just curious...

Personally, I'd rather have Siri brought to the iPhone 4 and take some of these idiots that damn near kill people every time they pick up their iPhone while they drive than worry about the ethical side of them obtaining such technology. I know that brings up the question of "When do you draw the line?", but to be honest, this is a fairly thin point you have here compared to most software piracy, but alas, a point you still have...i guess I'd just have to honestly say, are you that bent out of shape about it?

Personally, i wish Apple would give iPhone 4 owners the option to BUY Siri support. That would solve my issues with the situation...and give iPhone 4 owners a legitimate option. After that, i absolutely stand by your argument against a jailbroken version...but without that option, to me its a moot point...you have a technology that WILL WORK on the iPhone 4, restricting its use to the 4S exclusively would be like releasing a car and then a year later releasing the identical car with better wheels, wheels that will fit the older version, and having someone make some knock off versions but telling those who want to get the knock offs they are thieves for not buying the OEM model that comes with the wheels...its just silly to me, and something people should get over.

I said the exact same thing in this thread already. If they allowed them to pay for Siri and download it then I would be totally fine with it. I don't want to stop people from being able to buy anything. Including Siri's services. But stealing is stealing. I also agree that it would be a big help to anyone driving and trying to use a phone. I've already become dependent on it when I'm driving.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
No. Jail breaking the 4s shouldn't lose Siri. But that's something that I never even considered. That would be one major way that Apple could keep millions of people from jailbreaking. I definitely wouldn't do it of it would cause me to lose Siri. What we are talking about is people who will add Siri to the iPhone 4 after jailbreaking if the people working on a fix can make it happen. I don't think that it's right.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
i find it strange that you cant buy Siri for the 4... Apple would make a fortune because siri could easily be sold for $9.99 (or more)

It makes me wonder if there is some other reason? maybe the performance on the 4 was bad? who knows.. either way, I am all for Jailbreaking and being able to install/do what you want to your phone... but not cool with stealing the siri app.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
The jailbreak community is absolutely tiny, especially compared to the huge community of iPhone 4S users. Dude, 4 million in 3 days...

I do not think Siri should be ported via jailbreak either, but not because of server load. :p

Exactly. It is tiny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I have no idea how Siri would have performed on the 4 but I'm thinking that the amount of people who have a 4 already might have played a huge part in the making of that decision. There are millions and millions of people with the 4. If the 4 million people who got the 4S crippled Siri can you imagine what would have happened if all the people who got the 4 over the past year and a half on top of the new 4 million 4S owners jumped on at once? It would still be down. They were not even ready for all of the 4S owners. Siri went down hard.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal