How big if a deal is NOT having Flash?

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I guess I didn't realize iPhone doesn't support flash.....is it really that big of a deal?? Other than websites using it, what else will I miss out not having flash in my iPhone compared to my Android?

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
What's flash?! LOL! That's how big of a deal! Any site worth going to has an iPhone friendly version now. Even the little ones.

blwatson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I second that. The majority of sites have iPhone versions, and those most frequented (twitter, facebook, chase, bank of america, the Chive, etc) all have their own apps anyway.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I've said this before, if the R&D department at Apple thought flash was necessary, they would have put it in iOS. It's not that big a deal.

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
People who whine about not having flash just need something to cry about. I don't even really surf the web to much as all the content I enjoy I get through apps.

Sent from my iPhone communication device using Tapatalk

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I had a Droid with it, and it was a huge drain on the battery, not to mention flash is annoying as hell as it is. I don't like it on my computer so on my phone it was incredibly obnoxious. I don't miss it.

Corey

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If they implemented flash on a phone in such a way that it actually worked instead of worked half the time, it might mean something. Otherwise, no. I've seen it on my old Droid, Droid X, and on my friend's Thunderbolt. I have yet to see an actual flash website work without massive lag, battery drain, or goofy interface problems. Flash websites, for the most part, just aren't designed for a mobile setting and touch screen input.

DomFeeney

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I've also never noticed. Once in a blue moon an embedded video won't play but 9 times out of 10 it will or is available elsewhere in an iPhone friendly format

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't miss it at all. I had it on my Moto Atrix and SGS when I made the mistake of trying Android. It was slow, drank battery and didn't even work properly half the time.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
It's not a big deal at all... Haven't visited a site that didn't update it for iOS.

Sites like ESPN and NYT updated their sites to support HTML5. There are several, but those are the main ones. We also have apps!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I had it on my Droid X and don't miss it. You can also download Skyfire browser from the app store if flash is that important for you.

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
From what i understand...Flash is coming to iOS devices, to appease those that just can't live without it, for whatever reason they have, lol.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that adobe was working on a flash to HTML 5 conversion software. Think was called adobe edge or something like that.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple iPads and iPhones finally get Flash video | Mobile Devices | ZDNet UK

On Thursday, Adobe released Flash Media Server 4.5, which introduces support for Apple's iOS mobile operating system. It does this by letting broadcasters stream Flash-based video content in an Apple-derived format, HTTP Live Streaming (HLS).

Apple's iPhone and other mobile devices are well known for not supporting Flash, so in April Adobe said it had come up with a workaround.

Flash Media Server usually packages video streams using MPEG4 fragments, in the F4F file format. However, the new version adds support for a different protocol, HLS, which Apple created for QuickTime and iOS.

Where the media server system detects a lack of Flash support on the client device, it delivers the content in an MPEG2 stream, using the HLS format. HTML 5-capable browsers also support HLS, so using it makes it easier for broadcasters to reach a wider audience.

The end result is that Flash-based video content can now be delivered to iOS devices by using Apple's technology, in a way that requires almost no extra effort on the part of the publisher. Microsoft has been doing the same thing to get Silverlight-based content onto Apple mobile devices since 2009.

However, the advent of Flash Media Server 4.5 only enables Flash video streaming to iPhones and iPads. Flash-based games, animations and advertisements will still not work on such devices.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl