"Remind me to call..."

Tammster

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This is driving me crazy. I want to add a reminder but dont want it to look up the contact. I have a number of contacts that dont have phone numbers and when I sent the reminder I dont want to take the time to look up the number. I just want the reminder.

It keeps saying "Uh, oh. I dont have a phone number for Bob Smith" I tried "Remind me anyway", "I dont want a number". She keeps repeating herself.

Any ideas??

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
So.. you want a reminder to call someone who that you dont have a number for? :confused:

cant you just enter a dummy number for those people?

Tammster

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
So.. you want a reminder to call someone who that you dont have a number for? :confused:

cant you just enter a dummy number for those people?

It's not actually for ME... its my boss (who can't get the hang of Siri AT ALL). He wants the reminder and will look up the phone number later I guess.

I guess a dummy number would work but if hes going to go to that trouble, he might as well just type in the reminder.

Tammster

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
seems like there would be an easy fix...Just put the persons phone # in. wala problem solved.

Yeah, easy if you have the number that minute but why would you? If you're on your phone and its not there, and you dont know it by heart, then clearly your solution is not an easy fix.

I think I've figured out a workaround... if I tell her to remind me to "contact" instead of call, she wont ask for the number.

NEO2126

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
try saying "remind me to look up _____'s phone number and call them."
it created a reminder that said "look up ____'s number and call them".

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
As they said above, Siri is still a learning A.I. so you need to adjust with her abilities a bit...instead of making a reminder to call, a general reminder to "contact" (as suggested above), or simply saying "Reminder, John Doe at 1pm"...we have to adjust our own nuances because we are talking to a piece of technology that takes things QUITE literally (as it should, since it is being fed instructions)...

If you tell her to call...she wants a number, so remove the variable of "call" and you've got an easy way around it.

Say you want to call your car garage but you don't have a number...you can give the command "Call Joe Bobs Garage" and she'll ask for a contact, or you can say "Find Joe Bobs Garage" and she'll attempt to give you directions, thinking you want to FIND it...but then you adjust and say "I need a phone number for Joe Bobs Garage"...and you'll be set.

Its all about clear communication, but she is quite adaptable to our ways of conversation...and learns how you ask for things.

Tammster

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
try saying "remind me to look up _____'s phone number and call them."
it created a reminder that said "look up ____'s number and call them".

I like this... I'll probably use it myself at some point.

I totally understand the beta nature of Siri & actually enjoy trying to figure it out. For example, I read a tip about setting up my phone so I can send a text to Twitter to send a tweet. Then I can say "Text Twitter..." and tweet. I discovered that if I immediately follow that with the tweet itself, it tells me it can't send tweets. But if I just say "text twitter" it asks what I want to say and it works fine.

Just little nuances that I can certainly deal with. The time it's already saved me is pretty amazing. I love it.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2