Emails Questons

my3gr8kidz

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this is a repeat question I am new to forums and to the iphone.
I was a totally BB person and was used to the email features on it, I got the new iphone 4s last night and am questioning a few things about the email.

On BB when deleting an email it would ask you if you wanted to delete it from your hand held or from both the hand held and the server. If I am not at my work desktop and needed something left there for me to do when I got back in the office I would delete it from my handheld so it would be there for me when I got back to work to do ut not be on my phone anymore.

When deleting an email from the iphone there is not this option. SO if I delete it, does it delete it from my server as well?

Is there a way to be asked this per email?

Again sorry if this is a repeat question, I'm just getting started with the apple experience here.

Thank you!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
BB uses their own servers for email, so they have more control over how it's handled. The iPhone uses whatever email you have. Your best bet is IMAP or Exchange. Google mail can be used as either. Both IMAP and Exchange will act the same way across platforms - if you delete in one place (your iPhone) it's gone from everywhere. It mirrors the server. Pop3 gives you the option of leaving email on the server, but it misses many functions most people want in email.

Do you know what kind of mail server you have?

my3gr8kidz

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Im going to be totally honest with you.... I know it's was set up as IMAP whatever that is. I really don't know anything about it. I am a creature of habit so I was making the change from BB and it took me a while to decide between the Iphone and the Droid but most people said Iphone. Just gettin git last night I have a long way to go in learning about this phone. I just didn't want to be deleting emails and then they are gone from the desktops as well.

Thank you for your quick responce.

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It is my experience with a Gmail, AOL and Live email account, that when I delete an email from the phone it does not take it off the server. It just moves it into the trash and all mail folders on the server. Then to totally delete the mail, I have to go on line and physically jump thru hoops to get rid of it.

In OP's case, I would suggest he set up a "Pending Folder" and instead of "deleting" an email he wants later, he move it to the pending folder which could also be viewed on the phone if he wanted a second look.

bbmd16

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
IMAP emails

I have been testing my IMAP email and when I delete from either iPad or iPhone it does not delete on the computer?? Any help would be appreicated

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
i would like to note, that it is not just with BB email. the delete from phone & server worked on other email as well. I use roadrunner email and i had that option on my BB. I think it leaves it on the server... it may depend on how you have your email set up on the server end?

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have been testing my IMAP email and when I delete from either iPad or iPhone it does not delete on the computer?? Any help would be appreicated

are you saying when you delete an email off your phone or your iPad, it's still in the inbox when you go to the computer. If so what program are using Gmail or Yahoo etc.

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Set up AOL email on this phone. I use their account for junk I don't ever want to see. It is a IMAP account. when I delete an email out of my inbox on AOL puts it in trash on AOL. When I touch the email address in settings there's a screen that comes up and has advanced settings but you can't change anything but anyway trash says trash.

bbmd16

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
IMAP emails

are you saying when you delete an email off your phone or your iPad, it's still in the inbox when you go to the computer. If so what program are using Gmail or Yahoo etc.

It is my work email server not a Yahoo or Gmail yahoo that works fine

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2