Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

53 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Default Question about Location Services, System Services

With the possible battery issues, I took a look at my Location Services. The only thing I have left on is Siri and Maps, but then I took a look at System Services. Everything was turned on, so I turned off location based i-ads; I think those were going on while I was reading the NYT as I saw the arrow pop us a few tims. I also turned off Setting Time Zone; I don't travel so don't see the need for that. Both of those two have a gray locator arrow next to them meaning they had been used within the past 24 hours.

What about the others in System Services? Do I need to leave them on? I would assume I can turn traffic off as I have no idea when or where that works. Cell Network Search, Compass Calibration, and Diagnostics and Usage are what is left. I have no need for the Compass and I have that turned off in Location Services, so would think I could turn that off. The Cell Network Search I guess is for when roaming? What is the Diagnostics and Usage?

Is there a quick guide somewhere that tells us what all these things do and mean? I know I can search each individually, but would think there was a guide somewhere.
    iPhone Newbie

13 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

My understanding is that this stuff is a reaction to Locatiogate. I haven't seen any articles on the web that really delve into this but Apple does have a page with some details. All this info is used to provide more accurate stuff to us so it does help the common good to leave it enabled.

I've turned most everything off to save battery though.