Stuck on EDGE

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
They are doing tower maintenance around here and my 4S keeps going to edge. It stays on edge until I either switch to airplane mode and back or power cycle the phone. My wife's iPhone 4 is switching back to 3G on it's own.

Anybody else notice their 4S sticking on edge?

dankind64

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
The same thing is happening to me. When I take it out of my pocket it is on EDGE and will remain that way until I reset the radios with a hard reboot or airplane mode toggle. I live in Fort Lauderdale FL

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I had called about the phone going to no service every night around 10:30p. The guy actually helped me out and got me to the technical support team. I was informed of that being a maintenance window that started on 10-11.

Hopefully they are upgrading the towers in this area to HSPA+

i am in Detroit, MI market.

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Nobody else is having this issue on their 4S? I'm wondering if I have a hardware issue. I don't mind it going to edge and the whole network maintenance thing. The phone should be switching back to 3G when 3G is available though.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I drove all through edge and 3g coverage areas today and my phone was switching between them fine...

at&t iphone 4s 64gb

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I drove all through edge and 3g coverage areas today and my phone was switching between them fine...

at&t iphone 4s 64gb

That makes me think that the next thing I want to try is to let it go to edge, get stuck on edge and the travel to another tower. I'm thinking it will change back due to the tower change. I think it is happening to me because I'm at home.

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Had the chance last night to leave it on EGDE. Resisted flipping airplane mode on and off to get #G back. It stayed on EGDE all night and through the morning while the whole time my wife's iPhone 4 was on 3G. Phone should know to switch back to 3G when it is available.

I've reset network settings, restored phone... still happens.

Made a genius bar appointment to have the phone swapped.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Had the chance last night to leave it on EGDE. Resisted flipping airplane mode on and off to get #G back. It stayed on EGDE all night and through the morning while the whole time my wife's iPhone 4 was on 3G. Phone should know to switch back to 3G when it is available.

I've reset network settings, restored phone... still happens.

Made a genius bar appointment to have the phone swapped.

That may be a best bet because I have not seen this happen at all.. also there is no toggle switch to turn 3g off on this model so theres no way to do a consistent test of it..

gary1949

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
They are doing tower maintenance around here and my 4S keeps going to edge. It stays on edge until I either switch to airplane mode and back or power cycle the phone. My wife's iPhone 4 is switching back to 3G on it's own.

Anybody else notice their 4S sticking on edge?

I was going to purchase a 4S in the next few days until I saw another comment on this forum where someone stated that their iPhone 4S had VERY poor call quality when using EDGE. I only have EDGE available at my home in a rural area (at least with my Samsung Captivate S droid on AT&T). I use wifi at home for data, but poor call quality on EDGE would be a showstopper.:(

Would you mind commenting on this? Thanks.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Had my 4S swapped and the new one still does this.

This might be a long shot, but you don't suppose your micro-sim is bad ?? Only thing left that could maybe explain it ... And there are no PRL's with GSM just CDMA, you are correct there

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
This might be a long shot, but you don't suppose your micro-sim is bad ?? Only thing left that could maybe explain it ... And there are no PRL's with GSM just CDMA, you are correct there

Thats my next step. I'm going to try that.

Both my 4S and my wife's phone have been randomly jumping on EDGE at times. Something is up with the network here.

recently I noticed that my 4s is at times going back to 3G, just not all of the time.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Thats my next step. I'm going to try that.

Both my 4S and my wife's phone have been randomly jumping on EDGE at times. Something is up with the network here.

recently I noticed that my 4s is at times going back to 3G, just not all of the time.

Just another question, how much of a signal (bars) are you both carrying ?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods