Phantom data usage?

KUngFuKev

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I just activated with AT&T with the iPhone 4s. I'm usually at home or at work and I'm always connected to wifi. I'm only on the 2nd day of my bill cycle and it's saying that I've used 484.09 out of 2048. At this rate, I'll be over in the next week. I made sure that none of my apps have push notifications on and have been making sure that I close them by double tapping the home button then holding them and tapping the minus sign. I had an android before and even never connected it to wifi because I had unlimited, but my usage was never past 1 gig a month. Any ideas on what to do? I ended up turning off the cellular data earlier today to make sure it doesn't sky rocket and it hasn't moved since.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I just activated with AT&T with the iPhone 4s. I'm usually at home or at work and I'm always connected to wifi. I'm only on the 2nd day of my bill cycle and it's saying that I've used 484.09 out of 2048. At this rate, I'll be over in the next week. I made sure that none of my apps have push notifications on and have been making sure that I close them by double tapping the home button then holding them and tapping the minus sign. I had an android before and even never connected it to wifi because I had unlimited, but my usage was never past 1 gig a month. Any ideas on what to do? I ended up turning off the cellular data earlier today to make sure it doesn't sky rocket and it hasn't moved since.

call at&t and ask them whats going on.. keep in mind with wi-fi when the screen is locked wifi turns off and it turns back on when you wake the phone however thats a crap ton of data to be used that quick.. I can go an entire day of using my phone on 3g emails messages internet etc and not come close to that

KUngFuKev

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Just called. They said that I can dispute it after I get my bill or up my data plan. At this rate, I'll be at like 10 gigs by the end of the month when I'm not using it. Argh, heading to the store now to see if they can do anything.

KUngFuKev

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Just got back from the store. AT&T can't do anything for me and don't know why that is. They sent me to the apple store and the apple store said its a carrier issue not the device. I went back to the store and they said I need to deal with apple. And I gave up and went home.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
You know what? I don't think this is just an AT&T issue. Ive seen phantom data usage on Verizon too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackvalk

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Phantom billing...It seems to me that I've read many, many threads about this exact problem you're having, and AT&T was the common denominator in ALMOST EVERY CASE, if I remember correctly. These threads were prior to the intro of the 4S. I think that most "victims" thought it was AT&T downloading your data usage info every morning around 0200, assuming AT&T used your non-wifi connection to accomplish this. The other school of thought was that it was a problem that would clear up mysteriously in the ios 5 update. Apparently not. Please keep us informed, as I have only a 2 Gig plan with Verizon, and have to be careful about what Verizon thinks my usage is, versus what I think it is. We will know soon, but so far I don't see a problem. Good Luck.

George

Gixxer07

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
happened to me on att as well, although i have unlimited data. the day after my usage reset and it said that i used 300 some mb. i know that there is no way for i used that.

its a carrier issue, not an apple issue. dont see how it would be a apple issue. att just doesnt want to deal with it

geoffmarcy

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I killed 500 MB in my first 7 days of activating my 4S and I've been scratching my head how this happened, since I'm mostly on Wi-FI. I think I might have found the problem and its to do with iCloud backup features.

Go to the following setting on your 4S:

Settings > iCloud > Documents & Data

You'll see the default is set to ON for "Use Cellular" and this means when its left to default settings, it does the transfer for documents and data on your carrier's data. When set to OFF, it'll only do this for Wi-FI. According to my phone settings, the size of the last backup was 240 MB, which would make sense. (this is getting larger as I add more apps and photos etc.). See if that helps, I'm testing it out now.

Please let me know if this does the trick!

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I killed 500 MB in my first 7 days of activating my 4S and I've been scratching my head how this happened, since I'm mostly on Wi-FI. I think I might have found the problem and its to do with iCloud backup features.

Go to the following setting on your 4S:

Settings > iCloud > Documents & Data

You'll see the default is set to ON for "Use Cellular" and this means when its left to default settings, it does the transfer for documents and data on your carrier's data. When set to OFF, it'll only do this for Wi-FI. According to my phone settings, the size of the last backup was 240 MB, which would make sense. (this is getting larger as I add more apps and photos etc.). See if that helps, I'm testing it out now.

Please let me know if this does the trick!

Wow! That was stupendous answer!

jspeckme

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
has anyone thought of turning off the icloud cause it was draining my battery super fast so maybe it could be using a ton of internet trying to keep resyncing it and then eatting up your battery as well.

KUngFuKev

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Strange things are happening. I have turned off cellular data when I'm not using it and then went back to the AT&T store. Talked to a manager and he said use the phone normally and he will credit any overages. With that in mind, I used that data and rarely used wifi just to see how much high it would get when I normally would use it. The past two days, I streamed about 10 youtube videos each day (5 minute videos) and accessed the internet the way I normally do .The only thing I changed was Facebook push notifications and in the past two/three days I've used <40 mbs. I still check Facebook compulsively but removed the push notifications. I don't know if it was coincidence or if FB was the actual culprit. So far things are good (for now at least). I'll keep everyone updated on my data journey.