Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Siri voice!

I'm in the UK and we don't have the woman voice, we have a male who sounds an awful lot like the original voice of Knight Rider! As it links in with my car bluetooth I simply tap a button and I'm Michael Knight! Such a great feature and hopefully a
    Little planned by apple. What do you think he/she sounds like?

@dp_scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Technology is not enough.
    Steve Jobs

iPhone 4S 16gb
    iPad 2 16gb Wi-Fi + 3G White

Twitter.com/dp_scott
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,899 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

That's cool...i wish it would give us a choice, not that i mind the female voice.

Personally, i think the female voice sounds like a female version of Stephen Hawking, lol...

In case anyone was curious what the other voice sound like, you can change them in the Siri settings under the language part, but it won't functions in the united states properly unless it is set to the united states voice.

The males voice is kind of garbled in my opinion...weird.
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 10-18-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I hope they add some voices for us to choose from
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks for mentioning the different voice for English (United Kingdom). I like the male sounding voice better and it will add to Siri's entertainment value.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,899 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by grape8pe View Post
    Thanks for mentioning the different voice for English (United Kingdom). I like the male sounding voice better and it will add to Siri's entertainment value.
    Unfortunately, unless you live there...it won't really do you much good to change it (for now).
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Intermediate

i cant wait for jailbreak to get ahold of Siri. I want her to have a southern accent

And I want to look at her, instead of a mic.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Unfortunately, unless you live there...it won't really do you much good to change it (for now).
    Not entirely true. If you have a British accent, changing to the UK English mode makes Siri's voice recognition much more accurate. Unfortunately it also prevents me using U.S. maps which is absolutely stupid.
    ame
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts

Oh man if mine was gonna be like KIT I'd use it more often.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

I like the male voice better.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,899 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Not entirely true. If you have a British accent, changing to the UK English mode makes Siri's voice recognition much more accurate. Unfortunately it also prevents me using U.S. maps which is absolutely stupid.
    Like i said...it really won't do you much good, since the features aren't accessible...
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts

Like i said...it really won't do you much good, since the features aren't accessible...
    More features are accessible to me with the UK English mode than US since in US mode, the software does not understand me. I would love to know why Apple thinks that there are no people in the US with British accents, particularly given the designer of the exterior of iPhone (and most Apple gadgets) is British. The current restriction is completely idiotic.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    I like the male voice better.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    Female voice > male voice

Current Phones: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS & WebOS
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    Oh man if mine was gonna be like KIT I'd use it more often.
    I use it all the time... for everything. Really recommend you use Bluetooth as well. Makes it more real :P
    Steve Jobs

iPhone 4S 16gb

Twitter.com/dp_scott
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,899 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

More features are accessible to me with the UK English mode than US since in US mode, the software does not understand me. I would love to know why Apple thinks that there are no people in the US with British accents, particularly given the designer of the exterior of iPhone (and most Apple gadgets) is British. The current restriction is completely idiotic.
    The fact that we can't pick which voice to use is absurd...i agree 100% with that, but your situation is not a very common one, and generally speaking, like i was saying before, switching the voice in Siri is not going to benefit most users in their respective countries because it will automatically disable many of the functions of Siri for that area.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts

The fact that we can't pick which voice to use is absurd...i agree 100% with that, but your situation is not a very common one, and generally speaking, like i was saying before, switching the voice in Siri is not going to benefit most users in their respective countries because it will automatically disable many of the functions of Siri for that area.
    I think my situation more common than you think. There are plenty of people in the US who speak with British accents. New York is full of them.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts

I called Apple care to complain about the UK English issue (and location based reminders).
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I called Apple care to complain about the UK English issue (and location based reminders).
    What did they say and why complain?

Also, whats wrong with location based reminders?
    Steve Jobs

iPhone 4S 16gb

Twitter.com/dp_scott
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts

i don't mind the female voice
    iPhone Intermediate

I love the female voice. But if she had a British accent I'd like her a lot more! Women with British accents give me huge wood! Think Elizabeth Hurley!
    Sent from the crest of a wave.

iPhone 4S
    MacBook Pro
    iPad (3rd Generation)
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by robes1 View Post
    I love the female voice. But if she had a British accent I'd like her a lot more! Women with British accents give me huge wood! Think Elizabeth Hurley!
    Or Scottish, as in Karen Gillan.

As Siri is still in beta, I think we will see a lot of improvements to it with customer usage, and suggestions/requests.
    iPhone 4S 16GB - White
    iPhone 4S 16GB - Black
    iPhone 4 32GB - Black
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,899 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I think my situation more common than you think. There are plenty of people in the US who speak with British accents. New York is full of them.
    I'm not sure the definition you hold with the word "common" but...lol...there are just a hair over 300,000,000 people living in the united states, and of the millions of those people using the iPhone 4S, i would guess the amount of people running into your problem is very limited, and not common (as i understand the definition) at all...

That said...Im sure there will be refinements with this, especially with the jailbreak crowd, so i don't see it being a huge deal at all, even if Apple never addresses it themselves.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dpscott View Post

I complained because there is no good reason to prevent those who speak with an English accent from accessing US maps from Siri.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts

I'm not sure the definition you hold with the word "common" but...lol...there are just a hair over 300,000,000 people living in the united states, and of the millions of those people using the iPhone 4S, i would guess the amount of people running into your problem is very limited, and not common (as i understand the definition) at all...

That said...Im sure there will be refinements with this, especially with the jailbreak crowd, so i don't see it being a huge deal at all, even if Apple never addresses it themselves.
    Most people living in the US do not have an iPhone. iPhone ownership is concentrated in major cities on the cost which is also where you will find most UK expats. A large number of people also visit the US from the UK and those with a 4s would probably love the SIri map features to work (if only to find the 24hr Apple store on 5th Ave).

I am not sure how you would jail break the Siri query engine. It appears to be running on Apple's servers.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,899 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Most people living in the US do not have an iPhone. iPhone ownership is concentrated in major cities on the cost which is also where you will find most UK expats. A large number of people also visit the US from the UK and those with a 4s would probably love the SIri map features to work (if only to find the 24hr Apple store on 5th Ave).

I am not sure how you would jail break the Siri query engine. It appears to be running on Apple's servers.
    Are you still arguing the commonness of the issue you have? lol...Seriously bud, you're talking an extremely small concentration of people in this country who share your issue with Siri...but if it helps you sleep at night thinking there are lots of people with the same problem, more power to you, lol.

The jail breakers have their ways...we've seen this a hundred times in the past where they found work arounds for things considered extremely difficult or impossible based on how Apple ran things on the iPhone, i have no doubt Siri will be included is this as well.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dpscott View Post

You can't set them on an iPad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast