Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

13 Posts

Default Some advice needed for family moving to iPhones

Ok, so I already have an iTunes account that the kids and myself have used for years a bunch of music some movies and apps on various devices. If we get four iPhones one for each member of the family what is the best way to go about this ? New identities for everyone? New identities for some ? How to get the music from one account to the right phones ? Anybody with any help that has been in this situation or something similar .....help I would hate to not be able to use all the music that everyone has already purchased thru the one account.
    Thanks in advanced
    iPhone Intermediate

256 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

The best way to handle it is to use the same account. If people get new accounts then the music and apps from the old Apple ID won't be available to them. You can use separate email addresses for FaceTime, iCloud, and iMessage. You can do all that and still have the same Apple ID for the app store and iTunes.
    iPhone Beginner

96 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

You might get some help deciding from this article. I can not use this feature but sounds like you could.
    Understanding Home Sharing

12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

Yeah, Home Sharing allows everyone who is granted access in the network to share the music from one account to the other...that is the best thing to do when you have a house full of people.

That said, i would think everyone having their own account would be the best bet...and considering the parental restrictions you can put on accounts, including being able to restrict purchases on the card listed with an account, personally, i would WANT everyone to have separate accounts. This would also benefit you with the "Find my Friends" app, which works specifically on individual account information, and would probably become pretty useless if everyone was synced under the same account name.