wiping my iphone 4S and setting up as new, have questions

wdfly

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
i am having terrible battery life from my 4S and am going to set it up as a new device to see if that helps it. my question is mostly this, if i set my device up as a new device (same itunes username and game center UN etc.) will it remember my saved game progress from my games and apps when i load them back onto the phone and sign into game center or will i lose everything?

i've searched but in the 1 thread that i found there were mixed answers.

i don't care to set my apps back up but i don't want to lose my saved game progress but i have to have more battery life than what i'm getting.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Nope! It will wipe all of your progress away on most games. Some games with their own separate logins like online role play games will because they do their own saving. But most games will require you to start again.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
What do you mean by "terrible battery life?" What are you comparing it too? That being said, there does seem to be a battery drain somewhere in this .0 iOS release -- no doubt it (whatever it is) will get addressed in a .1 update soon by Apple. In the meantime start turning off services you don't use to see if that helps. I have bluetooth off (although I guess 4.0 supposedly only runs when connected but I don't have anything Bluetooth so off it goes) and I turned off Siri raise to talk -- that seemed to help a bit.

wdfly

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean by "terrible battery life?" What are you comparing it too? That being said, there does seem to be a battery drain somewhere in this .0 iOS release -- no doubt it (whatever it is) will get addressed in a .1 update soon by Apple. In the meantime start turning off services you don't use to see if that helps. I have bluetooth off (although I guess 4.0 supposedly only runs when connected but I don't have anything Bluetooth so off it goes) and I turned off Siri raise to talk -- that seemed to help a bit.

i'm comparing it to both my old iphone 4 (8 hours of use after 5.0 update) and comparing it to another person that has a 4S.

this morning i compared the use and current power levels

mine
use 1h 37m
sby 2h 45m
73%

his
use 2h 44m
sby 4h 18m
78%

i'm only getting about 5 hours of actual use out of mine in a day before it drains the battery completely, this is unacceptable to me and i don't want to have to turn off features to get more battery life.

as you can see it's a phenominal difference and the most notable difference is he set his up as new and i used my last iphone 4 backup to set mine up. i'm hoping that setting it up as new will help but i REALLY don't want to lose all my data and game progress.

wdfly

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
my next step will be to go home and back up my backups and wipe the phone, load my games etc and see if it helps. if not then i can restore my backup and restore the phone back to what it is today. if setting it up as new doesn't help then i'll probably take the phone back to the store and exchange it for another one to see if it's possibly defective.

wdfly

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
i wiped my device last night and set it up as a new phone, loaded all of my apps, games, etc. back on it and today the power drain is almost exactly like it was with it being set up from my old iphone. at least i've ruled out it being that i restored my new phone from my old one and i get to keep my apps. now to decide what next to do about my current battery issue.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You could have ruled that out by simply searching about battery life issues on the iPhone 4S...it's a pretty common complaint thus far, and one I'm quite sure they are aware of. There are a few things you can do, like deactivating the widgets on the notification screen...or you can just wait patiently for the next firmware update to see if anything regarding this is addressed.

wdfly

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I ran across a post today that mentioned the Facebook app having issues with their push notifications causing battery drain. I disabled all of the push notifications and so far my artery life has greatly improved, almost 2 fold.

I'm now setting at

3 hours use
6h15m sby
And 58% battery remaining.

wdfly

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
You could have ruled that out by simply searching about battery life issues on the iPhone 4S...it's a pretty common complaint thus far, and one I'm quite sure they are aware of. There are a few things you can do, like deactivating the widgets on the notification screen...or you can just wait patiently for the next firmware update to see if anything regarding this is addressed.

It was those posts where a few people said that wiping their phone and setting it up as new solved the problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2