Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    0pusX's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Help....Android user thinking of jumping over.

    Ok. I have had 6 different Android devices but last night my wife got her iphone 4 and I instantly fell in love with it. I never did any rooting on any of my android devices and just kept them all stock so I wont miss being able to tinker around with them in that way.

    What exactly amd I gaining and losing by making the jump from Droid X2 to iphone 4s?

    I dont even use a ton of apps really, I mainly use text, web browsing, facebook, twitter, foursquare and a game here or there.

    I know I wil have to get an almost 1 inch smaller screen but im not so sure that matters.

    I also realize I wont be able to use the new 4G LTE network they are turning on here Thursday.......that really is the worst part.

    So can anyone give me an recomendations??

    Thanks!!
  2. #2  
    The Long Noodle's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

    Default

    Just do it.
  3. #3  
    CG68's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    551 Posts
    Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default

    I've said this before in other threads, but you can go ahead and purchase the iPhone 4S. You have 14 days to test it out which is enough time for you to make a decision on whether or not to keep it. Just remember there will be a restocking fee if you do return it. Each platform has it's strengths and weaknesses. I've owned Blackberries, Android devices, and for the last several months, the iPhone. It's just a matter of personal needs/wants.
    iPhone 6 - iPad Air - MacBook Pro 13" - ATV3

    + Romans 8:28 +
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    0pusX's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default

    Thats how my experience has gone too. BlackBerry, Android and now possibly iPhone.

    If it had 4G LTE it would be a no brainer I think, thats the only thing holding me back is knowing I will have a phone that will not be able to use our 4G network......
  5. #5  
    ktaylor17815's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    24 Posts

    Default

    I just made the switch from Android to iPhone and I'm happy about it. The Apple hardware is inferior to Android, but iOS is much smoother and optimized for the phone. The problem with Android is there is a new phone every 3 days it seems like and the OS is bound to have compatibility issues. My droid would randomly reboot often, and had trouble with simple things like making a phone call. I was worried about not having 4G as well, but really how often do you surf on your phone unless you have some down time to browse? When I'm at work or at home I use Wi-Fi, so 4G really wasn't important. 3G handles youtube and simple browser request fairly easily, and it's not like I'm downloading bit torrents to my phone.
  6. #6  
    GMChuck's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

    Default

    I went from a BB Storm to a Droid X then the Thunderbolt 4g then the iPhone 4S. This is by far the greatest phone I have ever had. It all just works. 4g is really over rated right now. 4g is nice when it works, but unless you leave your phone hooked to the wall or car charger all day you will end up just keeping it turned off like I did. The only bummer is the small screen. I wish they would make it the same form but with at least a 4 inch screen.
  7. #7  
    verwon's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    668 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,312 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default

    It's well worth the switch, you can say goodbye to the Android lag.


    Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
  8. #8  
    Uselessbass's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default

    Don't forget you will also have this awesome community to there are lots of helpful folks on here
  9. #9  
    dominirican's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1

    Default

    ihave an iphone and a motorola photon when you go iphone you will stay no force closes and everything just works
  10. #10  
    sj-performance's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    482 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7 GM

    Default

    just do it...i added an iphone4s to my current sprint family plan. im a die hard blackberry fan...im still keeping my bb 9930 for work and emails. and iphone4s for personal fb twitter etc. tell u what i love this iphone. i would always bash the iphone and say crap about them...now im eatting my words and my friends all shocked i have an iphone. im very surprised i type very fast on this iphone screen. totally glad i got the iphone. fyi i got in white. look with iphone like "Steve Jobs" said "it just works" so do it =]
  11. #11  
    robes1's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    259 Posts

    Default

    The only advantage to using Android is Google maps. I don't miss the huge screens because this one looks so much better. The quality is what matters! What good is a 90inch screen with poor resolution. What good is flash when you can see everything without it?! What good is all that when your battery is dead in one hour?! The apps are 8886557875 better! iTunes integration can NOT be beat! I wouldn't go back to Android now for anything. They have excellent hardware but the OS IS RAGGED! It's slow. Apps force close every 10 minutes. The lag bothered me more and more with each day! Now that we sync wirelessly I can't think of a reason to leave! Make the switch my friend! You already played with your wife's phone! Now get some apps of your own and play with Siri. Use iTunes. Let it all sync in and realize what you've been missing!
    Sent from the crest of a wave.

    iPhone 4S
    MacBook Pro
    iPad (3rd Generation)
  12. #12  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,960 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,964 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default

    I just found out from my boss that we will be able to get the iPhone for Sprint to replace our current EVO's...and i couldn't be happier. I'm not sure that will help you, but it at least gives you a idea of how desperate i am/was to be rid of my android phone and have my work AND personal be iPhone.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  13. #13  
    chrstdvd's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

    Default

    Weellll, I left my Droid 2 for the iPhone 4s and I am still in the testing mode. I really miss the app drawer where all my apps were in alphabetical order. This making a folder and putting all the apps for news or radio or entertainment etc, is ok but, I am not used to it, so it seems weird. On the Droid 2 every screen I have is similar to the iPhone folders concept, one screen with time and weather, another for music and photos, camera, radio etc. another for speed/signal testing.

    Screen size is the same and Verizon does not even have 3G steady where I live, 4G is not even a concern for me, never will see it here.

    I really do not like that the Safari browser does not have a setting to allow me to view the desk top web pages, and the alternative browsers avail in the app store do not come close to the Dolphin browser in Android.

    Messaging is way better with iPhone. Call quality is way better with iPhone and many of the IOS 5 features are super. The camera is great. The Apple experience is way better and more organized and yes, this Forum is way better and more organized that any of the six Android forums and the Blackberry forum I am a member of.

    If I keep going I might just convince myself. Ha.
  14. #14  
    Uselessbass's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrstdvd View Post
    Weellll, I left my Droid 2 for the iPhone 4s and I am still in the testing mode. I really miss the app drawer where all my apps were in alphabetical order. This making a folder and putting all the apps for news or radio or entertainment etc, is ok but, I am not used to it, so it seems weird. On the Droid 2 every screen I have is similar to the iPhone folders concept, one screen with time and weather, another for music and photos, camera, radio etc. another for speed/signal testing.

    Screen size is the same and Verizon does not even have 3G steady where I live, 4G is not even a concern for me, never will see it here.

    I really do not like that the Safari browser does not have a setting to allow me to view the desk top web pages, and the alternative browsers avail in the app store do not come close to the Dolphin browser in Android.

    Messaging is way better with iPhone. Call quality is way better with iPhone and many of the IOS 5 features are super. The camera is great. The Apple experience is way better and more organized and yes, this Forum is way better and more organized that any of the six Android forums and the Blackberry forum I am a member of.

    If I keep going I might just convince myself. Ha.
    Have u tried atomic web browser, lets u emulate lots of popular web browsers and run tabs
  15. #15  
    chrstdvd's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

    Default

    No, I tried Mercury which does the same thing, but the web pages are presented in the tiny screen just like I had the tiny screen hooked up to my PC. Dolphin just does it where you scroll around from side to side or up or down and then pinch or double tap for specific things you are interested in. I read about Atomic, I will go back and recheck how it works.
  16. #16  
    robes1's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    259 Posts

    Default

    It's all about preference I guess I hated dolphin browser.
    Sent from the crest of a wave.

    iPhone 4S
    MacBook Pro
    iPad (3rd Generation)
  17. #17  
    Click's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0pusX View Post
    Ok. I have had 6 different Android devices but last night my wife got her iphone 4 and I instantly fell in love with it. I never did any rooting on any of my android devices and just kept them all stock so I wont miss being able to tinker around with them in that way.

    What exactly amd I gaining and losing by making the jump from Droid X2 to iphone 4s?

    I dont even use a ton of apps really, I mainly use text, web browsing, facebook, twitter, foursquare and a game here or there.

    I know I wil have to get an almost 1 inch smaller screen but im not so sure that matters.

    I also realize I wont be able to use the new 4G LTE network they are turning on here Thursday.......that really is the worst part.

    So can anyone give me an recomendations??

    Thanks!!
    I would say Get the 4S it really is a great device! I'm in the same boat as you, hell, damn near identical. I couldn't hand Android any longer with having to tinker with my phone to get it to work how it should right out of the box so I left for Apple and haven't looked back. As for LTE I don't really worry about it because I'm 99.9% of the time on wifi and for the small time I'm not on wifi 3G does what I need.
  18. #18  
    chrstdvd's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uselessbass View Post
    Have u tried atomic web browser, lets u emulate lots of popular web browsers and run tabs
    I can live with atomic. Very similar to what I am used to. Wonder if there is a way to make it the default browser? So if I hit a link in email it will open in atomic s safari.
  19. #19  
    xlipstickandbruisesx's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    657 Global Posts

    Default

    I came from Android and I am very happy I made the switch. The only thing I really miss is having all of my contacts profiles linked (fb, twitter, ect). In theory I liked the widgets I was able to put on my EVO and EVO 3D but I never used them, I would always go to the menu button and pull up whatever I wanted to use from there. I really thought I would miss the big screen and I do a little bit when using netflix but 3.5 inches is still nice and it's super clear. The battery life alone is worth the switch IMO, I can go all day with full use and can plug in 12+ hours later and still not get a notification about low battery and the one time I did I had my phone full charged at 10 and I plugged it in at 4am.

    Now I know I will probably get a flame or 2 from this but as far as 4g is concerned, I really don't see the big hoopla... do the extra few seconds REALLY make that much of a difference? In my area 4g was spotty and when it was connected I didn't notice any difference personally. Like someone else said, you can try it out for 2 weeks and see if you like it, if it's not for you then return it but I highly doubt you will, especially if you love to play on your wifes
    It's better to be pissed off than pissed on

    iPhone 6 64gb space grey . iPad air 64gb LTE silver . iPad mini 16gb LTE black/slate . MacBook Pro 13" . ATV 3rd gen . iPod classic . iPod nano
  20. #20  
    kjjb0204's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,933 Global Posts

    Default

    Well, you will be losing the ability to heavily customize everything and no more widgets. Widgets were very valuable to me on Android. One touch to toggle any setting you want, like bluetooth, gps, wifi, airplane mode, screen brightness, etc. On the iphone, its a minimum 4 touches to toggle one setting. Widgets for to-do, tasks, facebook, anything and everything. One touch to compose a text or email. One touch to launch favorite websites.

    You will be gaining simplicity and an intuitive UI that is easy to learn. Not as efficient at getting things done. The iphone basically is an Android App Drawer. Probably better battery life, as most Android devices aren't great in that area. Better dev support, more apps, more choices for accessories. Smoother overall interactions. Less vulnerable to malware.
  21. #21  
    Snownation's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

    Default

    To answer the above, about widgets, one touch toggles, those can be achieved by jailbreaking. So see? You do have the best of both worlds!
  22. #22  
    kjjb0204's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,933 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snownation View Post
    To answer the above, about widgets, one touch toggles, those can be achieved by jailbreaking. So see? You do have the best of both worlds!

    Very true, although given that the op didn't root their android device, I'm guessing jailbreaking might not be in the cards.
  23. #23  
    Uselessbass's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrstdvd View Post
    I can live with atomic. Very similar to what I am used to. Wonder if there is a way to make it the default browser? So if I hit a link in email it will open in atomic s safari.
    Ya atomic web browser rocks,as far as I am aware there is no way to make it the default browser. if anybody knows of a way I would love to hear it but I don't think it is possible
  24. #24  
    jjb70's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

    Default

    I love both Android and IOS. I live in a small town that just got 3G not much more than a year ago. I'm getting about 9 Meg down with the 4S so don't let the 4G hype sway your decision. You will gain some with the switch and lose some too. So do what I do, have one of each and switch back and forth!
  25. #25  
    Mr. Chitlin's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Latest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrstdvd View Post
    I really do not like that the Safari browser does not have a setting to allow me to view the desk top web pages, and the alternative browsers avail in the app store do not come close to the Dolphin browser in Android.
    Dolphin is available for iphone. I use it and it does just fine. I don't know how the iphone version compares to the droid version though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions