Help....Android user thinking of jumping over.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok. I have had 6 different Android devices but last night my wife got her iphone 4 and I instantly fell in love with it. I never did any rooting on any of my android devices and just kept them all stock so I wont miss being able to tinker around with them in that way.

What exactly amd I gaining and losing by making the jump from Droid X2 to iphone 4s?

I dont even use a ton of apps really, I mainly use text, web browsing, facebook, twitter, foursquare and a game here or there.

I know I wil have to get an almost 1 inch smaller screen but im not so sure that matters.

I also realize I wont be able to use the new 4G LTE network they are turning on here Thursday.......that really is the worst part.

So can anyone give me an recomendations??

Thanks!!

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I've said this before in other threads, but you can go ahead and purchase the iPhone 4S. You have 14 days to test it out which is enough time for you to make a decision on whether or not to keep it. Just remember there will be a restocking fee if you do return it. Each platform has it's strengths and weaknesses. I've owned Blackberries, Android devices, and for the last several months, the iPhone. It's just a matter of personal needs/wants.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thats how my experience has gone too. BlackBerry, Android and now possibly iPhone.

If it had 4G LTE it would be a no brainer I think, thats the only thing holding me back is knowing I will have a phone that will not be able to use our 4G network......

ktaylor17815

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I just made the switch from Android to iPhone and I'm happy about it. The Apple hardware is inferior to Android, but iOS is much smoother and optimized for the phone. The problem with Android is there is a new phone every 3 days it seems like and the OS is bound to have compatibility issues. My droid would randomly reboot often, and had trouble with simple things like making a phone call. I was worried about not having 4G as well, but really how often do you surf on your phone unless you have some down time to browse? When I'm at work or at home I use Wi-Fi, so 4G really wasn't important. 3G handles youtube and simple browser request fairly easily, and it's not like I'm downloading bit torrents to my phone.

GMChuck

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I went from a BB Storm to a Droid X then the Thunderbolt 4g then the iPhone 4S. This is by far the greatest phone I have ever had. It all just works. 4g is really over rated right now. 4g is nice when it works, but unless you leave your phone hooked to the wall or car charger all day you will end up just keeping it turned off like I did. The only bummer is the small screen. I wish they would make it the same form but with at least a 4 inch screen.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
just do it...i added an iphone4s to my current sprint family plan. im a die hard blackberry fan...im still keeping my bb 9930 for work and emails. and iphone4s for personal fb twitter etc. tell u what i love this iphone. i would always bash the iphone and say crap about them...now im eatting my words and my friends all shocked i have an iphone. im very surprised i type very fast on this iphone screen. totally glad i got the iphone. fyi i got in white. look with iphone like "Steve Jobs" said "it just works" so do it =]

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
The only advantage to using Android is Google maps. I don't miss the huge screens because this one looks so much better. The quality is what matters! What good is a 90inch screen with poor resolution. What good is flash when you can see everything without it?! What good is all that when your battery is dead in one hour?! The apps are 8886557875 better! iTunes integration can NOT be beat! I wouldn't go back to Android now for anything. They have excellent hardware but the OS IS RAGGED! It's slow. Apps force close every 10 minutes. The lag bothered me more and more with each day! Now that we sync wirelessly I can't think of a reason to leave! Make the switch my friend! You already played with your wife's phone! Now get some apps of your own and play with Siri. Use iTunes. Let it all sync in and realize what you've been missing!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I just found out from my boss that we will be able to get the iPhone for Sprint to replace our current EVO's...and i couldn't be happier. I'm not sure that will help you, but it at least gives you a idea of how desperate i am/was to be rid of my android phone and have my work AND personal be iPhone.

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Weellll, I left my Droid 2 for the iPhone 4s and I am still in the testing mode. I really miss the app drawer where all my apps were in alphabetical order. This making a folder and putting all the apps for news or radio or entertainment etc, is ok but, I am not used to it, so it seems weird. On the Droid 2 every screen I have is similar to the iPhone folders concept, one screen with time and weather, another for music and photos, camera, radio etc. another for speed/signal testing.

Screen size is the same and Verizon does not even have 3G steady where I live, 4G is not even a concern for me, never will see it here.

I really do not like that the Safari browser does not have a setting to allow me to view the desk top web pages, and the alternative browsers avail in the app store do not come close to the Dolphin browser in Android.

Messaging is way better with iPhone. Call quality is way better with iPhone and many of the IOS 5 features are super. The camera is great. The Apple experience is way better and more organized and yes, this Forum is way better and more organized that any of the six Android forums and the Blackberry forum I am a member of.

If I keep going I might just convince myself. Ha.

Uselessbass

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Weellll, I left my Droid 2 for the iPhone 4s and I am still in the testing mode. I really miss the app drawer where all my apps were in alphabetical order. This making a folder and putting all the apps for news or radio or entertainment etc, is ok but, I am not used to it, so it seems weird. On the Droid 2 every screen I have is similar to the iPhone folders concept, one screen with time and weather, another for music and photos, camera, radio etc. another for speed/signal testing.

Screen size is the same and Verizon does not even have 3G steady where I live, 4G is not even a concern for me, never will see it here.

I really do not like that the Safari browser does not have a setting to allow me to view the desk top web pages, and the alternative browsers avail in the app store do not come close to the Dolphin browser in Android.

Messaging is way better with iPhone. Call quality is way better with iPhone and many of the IOS 5 features are super. The camera is great. The Apple experience is way better and more organized and yes, this Forum is way better and more organized that any of the six Android forums and the Blackberry forum I am a member of.

If I keep going I might just convince myself. Ha.

Have u tried atomic web browser, lets u emulate lots of popular web browsers and run tabs

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
No, I tried Mercury which does the same thing, but the web pages are presented in the tiny screen just like I had the tiny screen hooked up to my PC. Dolphin just does it where you scroll around from side to side or up or down and then pinch or double tap for specific things you are interested in. I read about Atomic, I will go back and recheck how it works.

Click

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Ok. I have had 6 different Android devices but last night my wife got her iphone 4 and I instantly fell in love with it. I never did any rooting on any of my android devices and just kept them all stock so I wont miss being able to tinker around with them in that way.

What exactly amd I gaining and losing by making the jump from Droid X2 to iphone 4s?

I dont even use a ton of apps really, I mainly use text, web browsing, facebook, twitter, foursquare and a game here or there.

I know I wil have to get an almost 1 inch smaller screen but im not so sure that matters.

I also realize I wont be able to use the new 4G LTE network they are turning on here Thursday.......that really is the worst part.

So can anyone give me an recomendations??

Thanks!!

I would say Get the 4S it really is a great device! I'm in the same boat as you, hell, damn near identical. I couldn't hand Android any longer with having to tinker with my phone to get it to work how it should right out of the box so I left for Apple and haven't looked back. As for LTE I don't really worry about it because I'm 99.9% of the time on wifi and for the small time I'm not on wifi 3G does what I need.

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Have u tried atomic web browser, lets u emulate lots of popular web browsers and run tabs

I can live with atomic. Very similar to what I am used to. Wonder if there is a way to make it the default browser? So if I hit a link in email it will open in atomic s safari.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I came from Android and I am very happy I made the switch. The only thing I really miss is having all of my contacts profiles linked (fb, twitter, ect). In theory I liked the widgets I was able to put on my EVO and EVO 3D but I never used them, I would always go to the menu button and pull up whatever I wanted to use from there. I really thought I would miss the big screen and I do a little bit when using netflix but 3.5 inches is still nice and it's super clear. The battery life alone is worth the switch IMO, I can go all day with full use and can plug in 12+ hours later and still not get a notification about low battery and the one time I did I had my phone full charged at 10 and I plugged it in at 4am.

Now I know I will probably get a flame or 2 from this but as far as 4g is concerned, I really don't see the big hoopla... do the extra few seconds REALLY make that much of a difference? In my area 4g was spotty and when it was connected I didn't notice any difference personally. Like someone else said, you can try it out for 2 weeks and see if you like it, if it's not for you then return it but I highly doubt you will, especially if you love to play on your wifes :)

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Well, you will be losing the ability to heavily customize everything and no more widgets. Widgets were very valuable to me on Android. One touch to toggle any setting you want, like bluetooth, gps, wifi, airplane mode, screen brightness, etc. On the iphone, its a minimum 4 touches to toggle one setting. Widgets for to-do, tasks, facebook, anything and everything. One touch to compose a text or email. One touch to launch favorite websites.

You will be gaining simplicity and an intuitive UI that is easy to learn. Not as efficient at getting things done. The iphone basically is an Android App Drawer. Probably better battery life, as most Android devices aren't great in that area. Better dev support, more apps, more choices for accessories. Smoother overall interactions. Less vulnerable to malware.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro