Are You Guys Buying Your 4s With or Without Contract Upgrade?

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
No. My upgrade would've been on December 1st with $150 discount. My understanding is that the discount would've come off the full price of the iPhone 4 or 4S (not subsidized), so $150 off $749 would've made the price of for me on December 1st- $599.99 plus $99 Applecare would've been $698.99. So it would've actually been more expensive for me to wait for my upgrade versus what I did- Add the phone as a second line, pay the subsidized price, deactivate my EVO, and pay the $140 ETF for deactivating the EVO in November on my next bill. Saved me money and I got to have the awesome launch day experience.

No, if you're on Sprint that $150 gives you the full upgrade price, all the same discounts you got for setting up a new line, or that a new customer does, so it wouldn't have cost you $599.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Ordered mine unlocked from Apple for the first time this year...

I may just sell it online though and not even open it, cause I just bought a MacBook Air and an iPad 2 and I like my iPhone 4 just fine. Some of them are going online for like $1600. I don't know really if Siri is worth almost $900 of my money to keep ($749+tax).

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My bad. I actually have 2 nieces who upgraded from the original iPhone. I applaud you all for sticking to the same smartphone for over 3 yrs.

As an Apple shareholder, I thank you for your business. :D Yes, I know there are many who can afford to upgrade every year. I just think the majority of the 70-80 million iPhone 4Ses that will be sold in the next year will be to those who have the older devices.

BTW, if you take good care of your iPhones, the resale value is usually very strong and cuts the cost of upgrading every year to the $200-300 range depending on if your carrier gives you any sort of one year discount. That's still not chump change, but it's not the $700+ that it would otherwise cost.

Exactly. I have a running record of selling my previous year's device to help defray the cost of the new one. Typically I am within about $25 of the cost of the new one (remember, I get annual upgrades). This year, however, I banked $0 because I gave my old phone to my daughter.

And I'm an Apple shareholder, too. So I am doing my part to keep my investment (in the company AND the devices) up.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
No. My upgrade would've been on December 1st with $150 discount. My understanding is that the discount would've come off the full price of the iPhone 4 or 4S (not subsidized), so $150 off $749 would've made the price of for me on December 1st- $599.99 plus $99 Applecare would've been $698.99. So it would've actually been more expensive for me to wait for my upgrade versus what I did- Add the phone as a second line, pay the subsidized price, deactivate my EVO, and pay the $140 ETF for deactivating the EVO in November on my next bill. Saved me money and I got to have the awesome launch day experience.

Just so you know, when you're eligible for $150 discount you get the new line/customer pricing. I have no idea why they even say $150 discount because it's not the case and just confuses people.

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
WITHOUT contract upgrade since I had just upgraded in February when the iPhone 4 launched on Verizon..

Sold iPhone 4 for $450, bought iPhone 4S for $749...I basically paid an "upgrade" price of $299 without actually upgrading and I'll do the same thing when the next iPhone comes out!

RobActivatesiOS5

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Full

hahaha You guys are making me feel bad for dumping all this cash on the phone. Yeah, I paid close to full retail for mine (32GB) on Craigslist. I didn't have to make a line, got to save around $100, and my favorite thing - got to haggle.

My upgrade doesn't happen till March of next year, at which point I will definitely be cashing in on the 4S and using the upgrade.

(P.S. I should also mention, I sold an iPhone 4 as well, which I had bought from the money I had spent on an international version of the Galaxy S II. I generally always have a couple hundred dollars "invested" on a cellphone.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner