Is the iPhone 4s made with Gorilla glass?

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I've had 7 iPhone 4's and I am on my first iPhone 4S. I have never once seen a single mark, scratch or blemish on any of them. Some are just not careful. My GF once threw a fit cause her phone was marked up. Why was it marked up? She constantly threw her phone in the purse with her keys and other crap.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Engadget or giz did a drop test vs a samsung galaxy s II. 3 drops, the 4s was shattered on both sides, the galaxy barely had scratches on the frame with no visible damage to the display. If it does have gorilla glass, it should not be easily scratched by keys and other pocket junk.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Engadget or giz did a drop test vs a samsung galaxy s II. 3 drops, the 4s was shattered on both sides, the galaxy barely had scratches on the frame with no visible damage to the display. If it does have gorilla glass, it should not be easily scratched by keys and other pocket junk.

Are you joking? Day in and day out, almost a hundred times a day (yes, thats how often I am sure she reaches for her phone back and forth), you dont thnk your going to see marks?

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Are you joking? Day in and day out, almost a hundred times a day (yes, thats how often I am sure she reaches for her phone back and forth), you dont thnk your going to see marks?

Didn't say it wasn't possible, only that it wouldn't be as easy to damage. Calm down.

bnob99

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I saw that same video and it wasn't really surprising to me. I'll take my chances with the iPhone because the screen just looks so much better than any other phone out there. I have a thin case on it that will hopefully protect it from short falls.

gmz73

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I just got a white iPhone a few weeks ago and I just don't want to keep it hidden under a bulky case. Decided to go sans screen protector and I'm using a white Replicase until I get the iSkin Claro. I found a Golla bag that is just perfect for an iPhone with a slim case on and has a few card slots. That's just enough for me to protect the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

folgrz

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I got my whole phone wrapped, the iphone is such a sexy phone so i dont think a case should be used. Dont plan on dropping my phone but we'll see how long that lasts lol

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Scratch resistant means exactly that. Not scratch proof.

Anyone know good screen protectors which DON'T compromise the retina display?
All the ones I've tried always give the display a fuzzy look.

google Martin Fields.. the best in my opinion and crystal clear.. try it .. you will not be disappointed.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
i've heard that it is but the screen scratches up too easy for it to be gorilla glass. almost all of my newer android phones have had that and they dont scratch period. its iffy, especially considering they dont even have apple products listed on their site as users of their glass.

It has never been gorilla glass but it is comparable to gorilla glass. It's more flexible to reduce shattering but I guess that also leaves it slightly more susceptible to scratches.

I have never gotten a scratch on the front of my phone though. So not sure what you're talking about really :p

truthfinder

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 4 is using glass from Chinese manufacturer named Lens Technology. While there might be some truth to the claim that the properties of their class are similar to Gorilla Glass (I wonder if iFixit actually meant exactly that), in reality iPhone never used the actual Gorilla Glass. There are unconfirmed reports of other sources of glass used in some batches of iPhone 4, but none of them are Corning Technology glass.

So, today the debate is already closed. No Gorilla Glass in iPhone 4.
gottabemobile.com/2010/06/23/ifixit-says-iphone-4-has-gorilla-glass-display/]iFixit says iPhone 4 has Gorilla Glass display

Lens Technology, which is apparently responsible for transforming fine raw glass into the majority of iPhone glass panels out there (and contrary to previous reports, there's no mention of Corning here).
engadget.com/2010/07/18/white-iphone-4-delay-the-challenges-faced-by-apples-glass-supp/]White iPhone 4 delay: the challenges faced by Apple's glass supplier -- Engadget
:rolleyes:

OutSpoken

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I had a screen protector on my 4 for the best part of 8 months. About 4 months ago I removed it totally because of air bubbles and dust forming. I have to say, the screen has held up well... not a single scratch that I can see, touch wood! and it's frequently shoved in my pocket with keys and coins!

achoi02

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I've never scratched a single iPhone screen. (every generation and never use a screen protector) Granted I probably take much more care than most but still.

either you're blind to the hairline scratches that form or you're handling your iphones with baby diapers b/c i have absolutely babied mine since 4S launch and there's still several scratches on the front and back of mine. i've been waiting a very long time for this phone to come out so i've taken great pains not to drop it or risk it in any way. it's not the worst thing to happen in the world but to say that the iphone screen is some how resistant to scratches is an absolute exaggeration.

im seriously mulling whether i should try to get a replacement or not. it's not THAT bad and i've ordered a screen protector and a case but for this thing to scratch up this easily is infuriating.

tl;dr this thing scratches very easily so be careful.

related:
there's a post by engadget dated 06/23/2010 about this titled
Yes, you can certainly scratch the iPhone 4 (updated with more photos)
by Laura June that I can't link to.

pstmstr

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
I carry mine most of the time without a case. On my iPhone 4, it had just a couple of tiny scratches after being carried "naked" for over 9 months. I also have a Ram mount bracket on my motorcycle that I put it in and take it out of frequently. The only marks are on the top of the metal housing where it rubs against the bracket. I put a small piece of clear tape there to solve that problem.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had 7 iPhone 4's and I am on my first iPhone 4S. I have never once seen a single mark, scratch or blemish on any of them. Some are just not careful.
Care helps but it's not a guarantee.

If it does have gorilla glass, it should not be easily scratched by keys and other pocket junk.
Keys do not scratch glass. They're not harder than glass. That's why "scratch test" videos with keys on glass screens are pointless.

As for "pocket junk", sand (and some other materials) are harder than glass and can certainly scratch it.

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I dropped my 3GS and cracked the screen. Fell about four feet onto tile floor in my house. :( I was carrying it with a stack of laundry in my hand, the whole phone was unprotected. Now with my 4S, I'm terrified not to protect it. I have an Otterbox Commuter on my 4S right now, which I like, but am disappointed the case is too thick for me to plug it into the adapter in my car to listen to music, so I'm looking at other case options that will allow me to do this. I spend a good 30 minutes driving to work every morning and prefer to listen to music on my phone on the drive, so I was disappointed when I went to plug my phone in, only to find the Otterbox was too thick. :(

Hagan#1

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I dropped my 3GS and cracked the screen. Fell about four feet onto tile floor in my house. :( I was carrying it with a stack of laundry in my hand, the whole phone was unprotected. Now with my 4S, I'm terrified not to protect it. I have an Otterbox Commuter on my 4S right now, which I like, but am disappointed the case is too thick for me to plug it into the adapter in my car to listen to music, so I'm looking at other case options that will allow me to do this. I spend a good 30 minutes driving to work every morning and prefer to listen to music on my phone on the drive, so I was disappointed when I went to plug my phone in, only to find the Otterbox was too thick. :(

You can buy a dock extender that is designed to fit into tight cases.
I have one for my life proof case.
That's what I did and I don't have to sacrifice any protection.
Search radtech dock extender on google. They won't ship for A few weeks due to high demand. But it's a option.

Reactions: _heatherly

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods