Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By iRetired
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Can I use at&t iphone 4s on Verizon?

My friend has an upgrade and won't use it. So if i use his upgrade on at&t for a verizon iphone 4s can I unlock it or use it for Verizon???!
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,737 Global Posts
    iOS Version

No Verizon wont activate a phone they didn't sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    I answer everything to the best of my knowledge. If I'm wrong, correct me.

If I helped you, hit thanks.

Global Posts
    11,454 Global Posts
    iOS Version

From everything I understand, the US carriers will not allow something like that to happen - and will only allow the "other side" of the phone to unlock for international use only - so an AT&T phone can not be unlocked to work on a US CDMA carrier.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iPhone Intermediate

You could use it on t-mobile though! They'll take anything! LOL
    Sent from the crest of a wave.

iPhone 4S
    MacBook Pro
    iPad (3rd Generation)
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,817 Global Posts

Couple of things -

An AT&T iPhone doesn't have CDMA which is what it would need to even work on Verizon. Also, Verizon will not activate any device that is not specifically for Verizon. So even if you had a Sprint iPhone with CDMA, Verizon still would not allow it.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    804 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
    Couple of things -

An AT&T iPhone doesn't have CDMA which is what it would need to even work on Verizon. Also, Verizon will not activate any device that is not specifically for Verizon. So even if you had a Sprint iPhone with CDMA, Verizon still would not allow it.
    The 4S is dual CDMA/GSM. It's the first iPhone of it's kind, everyone is using the same model. Theoretically it could work, the carriers just won't allow it.

Global Posts
    11,454 Global Posts
    iOS Version

On the inside, all the parts are there... my guess is there's some bits of carrier specific software that has to be present to turn on or off certain parts, enabling or disabling functionality.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,817 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil DeLong View Post
    The 4S is dual CDMA/GSM. It's the first iPhone of it's kind, everyone is using the same model. Theoretically it could work, the carriers just won't allow it.

Learn something new every day.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Why don't you just ask Siri?
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    1,846 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcash View Post
    Why don't you just ask Siri?

Seems she is unable to connect to the network lately.
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

If you bought the phone outright you can use it on whatever carrier you like. If you got it subsidized then no, you can't. And by that I mean if you paid $750 for it.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,814 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by Speedriff1 View Post
    If you bought the phone outright you can use it on whatever carrier you like. If you got it subsidized then no, you can't. And by that I mean if you paid $750 for it.
    I think even if you bought it out right (unlocked) Verizon and or sprint won't activate the esn on there network but the gsm part would work for anything
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I was wondering pretty much the same thing myself. I've this article and found some sad news. Short answer is no. The US Carriers are blocking iPhones that's not sold by them via the MEID Number. It's makes you kinda upset when you find out how bad the cell phone companies try to lock you in.

iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,374 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Speedriff1 View Post
    Unlocked iPhone 4S's from Apple can only be used on GSM carriers. The CDMA radio is only "on" for CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint.

I think the only way to get a true unlocked one would be if you got a Verizon/Sprint iPhone 4S and jailbroke/unlocked it to use on any GSM carrier. If that is possible.

Edit - Not sure what the guy is talking about in the story linked above. It says right on Apple's website that the unlocked iPhone 4S will not work on a CDMA network. And paying full price for a phone from any carrier (in the US) has never meant you were getting an unlocked one; just that you don't have to sign a contract.
    Last edited by sting7k; 03-06-2012 at 03:21 PM.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,061 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    Unlocked iPhone 4S's from Apple can only be used on GSM carriers. The CDMA radio is only "on" for CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint.

I think the only way to get a true unlocked one would be if you got a Verizon/Sprint iPhone 4S and jailbroke/unlocked it to use on any GSM carrier. If that is possible.

Edit - Not sure what the guy is talking about in the story linked above. It says right on Apple's website that the unlocked iPhone 4S will not work on a CDMA network. And paying full price for a phone from any carrier (in the US) has never meant you were getting an unlocked one; just that you don't have to sign a contract.
    I have to agree with Sting as it DOES say right on Apple's website... If you buy an unlocked phone from Aplle it is GSM only and all other 4S phones are carrier specific unlocked-jailbroken or not, they can only be used on the carrier from where you bought it.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

Global Posts
    3,500 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's really a shame that there isn't some type of unlocking mechanism for when you have completed your obligation. Would be nice to take your phone to the carrier of your choice.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by pdelong View Post
    It's got a dual radio in it for overseas travel. It'll work on a GSM carrier in Europe for instance but it won't work on American GSM carriers. My Storm2 was dual GSM/CDMA and could only be unlocked to work on foreign GSM carriers.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyListensToLaura View Post
    It's got a dual radio in it for overseas travel. It'll work on a GSM carrier in Europe for instance but it won't work on American GSM carriers. My Storm2 was dual GSM/CDMA and could only be unlocked to work on foreign GSM carriers.
    Your right about the iPhone but wrong about the BlackBerry, I had a Storm and Storm 2 and I unlocked them both and used them on both AT&T and T-Mobile.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
     iPhone 5S Space Gray (16GB) iPad Mini White (16GB) 
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by iTroldahl View Post
    Your right about the iPhone but wrong about the BlackBerry, I had a Storm and Storm 2 and I unlocked them both and used them on both AT&T and T-Mobile.
    On AT&T you never got anything more than EDGE did you? You never got 3G?

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyListensToLaura View Post
    On AT&T you never got anything more than EDGE did you? You never got 3G?
    Right, but that's not what you said, you said unlocked for international use only, which isn't true. It could still be used on US Carriers. Not having 3G doesn't mean a device does not work!
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
     iPhone 5S Space Gray (16GB) iPad Mini White (16GB) 
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS 5

upgrade it then sell it on ebay for 750, and but a new iPhone with verizon
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Nope. Not that the phone is not capable. Its just that the carriers doesnt Allow the phone to be use on a competing carrier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I think I figured it out. The AT&T iPhone 4S version doesn't come with bloatware. Every Verizon phone (when I was with that carrier) had so much Verizon-branded bloatware (including the screen-printed VZW logo prominently displayed on both the front and back) that it choked the phone's normal operation.

Maybe if you copy over some Verizon-branded bloatware it would work on Verizon.

Just a thought...
    sherlock likes this.

Global Posts
    11,454 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by iRetired View Post
    I think I figured it out. The AT&T iPhone 4S version doesn't come with bloatware. Every Verizon phone (when I was with that carrier) had so much Verizon-branded bloatware (including the screen-printed VZW logo prominently displayed on both the front and back) that it choked the phone's normal operation.

Just a thought...
    A wrong thought. The iPhone from Verizon comes only with stock Apple aps.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by iRetired View Post

Just a thought...
    My Storm2 from Vzw had tons of bloatware that I couldn't get rid of without installing the app then deleting it. I had to make a folder called s--- and hide it with all the bloatware links in it.

Nowhere on my iPhone does it say Verizon. Doesn't even say it on the startup screen. It has the Apple and that's it.