Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Question No sound during outgoing call until hit speaker phone

I have my iPhone 4S and set it all up and did my iCould and retired my data. each time i make a call there is no sound or indication that its even connecting until i hit speaker phone. i just did a full restore and loaded back up with same results. anyone else having or had this issue as of yet?
    iPhone 5 16gb, iPad 3 32gb WiFi, iMac 21.5" Intel i3, iPod 20gb 2nd Gen
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    694 Global Posts

This may sound obvious, but did you remove the plastic from the screen? I saw this happen to someone.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I am having the same dialing problem with my iphone 4s (i.e. no sound unless i hit speaker phone on/off, then the earpiece works). I am on verizon. black 4s with 16 gb.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    694 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maqsur View Post
    I am having the same dialing problem with my iphone 4s (i.e. no sound unless i hit speaker phone on/off, then the earpiece works). I am on verizon. black 4s with 16 gb.
    See my post above. It's obvious but may help. Are you using any case/screen protector? If so, it may be worth trying it "naked" to see if it's actually a device issue.

Keep us posted.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jbcellular View Post
    See my post above. It's obvious but may help. Are you using any case/screen protector? If so, it may be worth trying it "naked" to see if it's actually a device issue.

Keep us posted.
    No, no screen protectors, plastic strips, nothing (i.e. my iphone is in its birthday suit!). I've reset network settings, factory restored the phone through itunes, dialed *228 opt 1, reset phone, tried dialing via contact list and through direct dialing of the number.

Basically, I have to press the speaker phone icon on/off to get the earpiece to have sound. Otherwise, call connects, but no sound (i.e. no ringing, no nothing).

I've even tried pluggin in the head phone jack in and out, blew on it to clear debris, etc.

I went to Verizon store, and they will replace the phone when they get more shipment.

I really feel, though, that this likely a software issue with ios 5. Hopefully and update forthcoming in case others have the same problem.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    694 Global Posts

Does toggling the mute/vibrate do anything/help? Just a thought. Want to try to help.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

Maybe you should just take it back and tell them what is happening.... They usually are very good about replacing their stuff....
    iMore Intermediate

With my launch day iP4 last year I had a speakerphone weird issue. Took it in the next day and they handed me a refurbished one. But right now their refurbished one are actually brand new as they haven't had enough come back through to get the repair cycle going so don't worry about getting it replaced.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

Sounds like a defective speaker....

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=10.675499,-61.525626
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

Apple actually manufactures phone to be replacement phones....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Well, as long as I press speaker phone on (and then back off), the earpiece works fine. Also, incoming calls work fine without any workaround.

So I know the hardware works, just some glitch. Oh well, it'll be replaced next week as per Verizon corporate store where I bought it.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Tried the iphone headphones (as opposed to my reg headphones) to plug in the jack in and out as advised on another webpage.

Right now dialing is working with sound normal from earpiece. Hopefully this will remain the case. Will update as needed.

UPDATE: Few mins later, same problem. Replacement here I come.
    Last edited by maqsur; 10-15-2011 at 07:24 PM.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Yes all plastic is off. Hence when I hit speaker phone on and off it then works. Same as few others reported. I will pop into the carrier store I got it tomorrow and see wht they say
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I stopped by Apple Store tonight, they said they needed to have a technician look at it. Strangely enough, for the past hour, it has not had the problem. Oh well, we'll see by next week when Verizon calls to replace the phone (once they get new shipment).

* Nope, still having the problem. Oh well, I hope it's just a software glitch; seems to happen with different models of iphones over the years. Anyone else besides the OP and myself?
    Last edited by maqsur; 10-16-2011 at 09:23 AM.
    iPhone Nanite

I am having the same issue with My new 4s with some phones but works fine with others. Turning speakerphone on/off when it occurs then causes it to start working. It may be just with ios5 phones. Hope there is a SW fix.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

same here! i did another full restore and setup as new without restoring backup and still same issue. only fix was speaker phone on.off and works great. because it works after that and perfectly it god to be software. I'm waiting for update to see if it fixes it. if not i will exchange at the store.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jbcellular View Post
    This may sound obvious, but did you remove the plastic from the screen? I saw this happen to someone.
    It happened to me with a test call to Verizon Verizon tech who set up my activation to the network via phonev was incompetent and did not know just to take off the plastic. I had to waste a trip to a Verizon store to find this out.
    iPhone Nanite

Having the same issue. Took it to AT&T, and they replaced the sim card -- didin't fix it. Took it to the Apple Store, and they gave me a new phone. Worked fine for the first few calls -- now it's back to the same issue again. Hopefully it's a software issue and will be fixed with an update.

Happens on 75%+ of my outgoing calls whether they are land lines or cells.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1990reds View Post
    Having the same issue. Took it to AT&T, and they replaced the sim card -- didin't fix it. Took it to the Apple Store, and they gave me a new phone. Worked fine for the first few calls -- now it's back to the same issue again. Hopefully it's a software issue and will be fixed with an update.

Happens on 75%+ of my outgoing calls whether they are land lines or cells.
    I'm actually relieved it's not just me and seems more likely a software glitch. Cause the phone works great otherwise. Guess I'll refrain from returning it for now.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

i called and explained to the my carrier store that i bought it from and they said they will exchange it. no stock at the moment. didn't see that coming, lol. once they are in i will get a call to exchange. update after that. =)
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PhinX404 View Post
    i called and explained to the my carrier store that i bought it from and they said they will exchange it. no stock at the moment. didn't see that coming, lol. once they are in i will get a call to exchange. update after that. =)
    I went today to the Genius Bar at apple store. They made a couple test calls (which worked). I was walking out, but decided to try a call again, and again it muted, so I brought the phone back in while the call was still going (i dialed apple corp).

They checked for few mins and back, and gave me a new replacement phone. Now things are Kosher. Try the apple store near you, they will probably have a replacement.
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version

I encountered the same problem when I got my phone on Monday, and using speakerphone seemed to solve it.

However, today I'm having a similar problem: I can hear fine on incoming/outgoing calls, but the callers are having a hard time hearing me (saying I sound like I'm under water) until I turn on the speakerphone. However, if I turn speakerphone off, they have trouble hearing me again.

I'm thinking I'll go back to the AT&T store and see what happens.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I'm keeping my fingers crossed at the moment; since using my replacement 4s since yesterday, no problems with outgoing calls (incoming were never a problem - in fact, my bro-in-law said I sounded nice and clear).

Seeing as (finally) more people are having this issue, this sounds more like a software issue with the 4s - earpiece worked fine on my initial 4s after toggling speakerphone on/off.

We'll see if Apple comes out with an update to address this.
    iPhone Nanite

I posted earlier in this thread that I had exchanged my 16gb White 4s (AT&T) and that my replacement phone had the same issue.

Had my wife take my replacement 4s back to the Apple Store today. They thought the problem was because I was restoring from my backup and suggested to sync everything to iCloud and then restore. Still had the same issue. They finally gave us another new 4s (3rd one) and now the problem is gone, so it seems like it might be a hardware issue after all.

New phone is echoing badly when on voice calls which Apple says is AT&T's fault, but the outgoing calls are all connecting so far with sound in the earpiece.

So if you live near an Apple Store, I would recommend taking it to them and attempt to get it replaced.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

This is an actual defective speaker (headset) issue. I just replaced mine (Verizon 4S 32gb) with Apple on Monday. When talking with the genius he said that although it is not common, it has been an on going issue that has been seen with the iPhone 4 and now iPhone 4s.
    Thanked by:
    kellyp513 (10-19-2011)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast