No sound during outgoing call until hit speaker phone

phinx404

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have my iPhone 4S and set it all up and did my iCould and retired my data. each time i make a call there is no sound or indication that its even connecting until i hit speaker phone. i just did a full restore and loaded back up with same results. anyone else having or had this issue as of yet?

maqsur1

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same dialing problem with my iphone 4s (i.e. no sound unless i hit speaker phone on/off, then the earpiece works). I am on verizon. black 4s with 16 gb.

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
I am having the same dialing problem with my iphone 4s (i.e. no sound unless i hit speaker phone on/off, then the earpiece works). I am on verizon. black 4s with 16 gb.

See my post above. It's obvious but may help. Are you using any case/screen protector? If so, it may be worth trying it "naked" to see if it's actually a device issue.

Keep us posted.

maqsur1

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
See my post above. It's obvious but may help. Are you using any case/screen protector? If so, it may be worth trying it "naked" to see if it's actually a device issue.

Keep us posted.

No, no screen protectors, plastic strips, nothing (i.e. my iphone is in its birthday suit!). I've reset network settings, factory restored the phone through itunes, dialed *228 opt 1, reset phone, tried dialing via contact list and through direct dialing of the number.

Basically, I have to press the speaker phone icon on/off to get the earpiece to have sound. Otherwise, call connects, but no sound (i.e. no ringing, no nothing).

I've even tried pluggin in the head phone jack in and out, blew on it to clear debris, etc.

I went to Verizon store, and they will replace the phone when they get more shipment.

I really feel, though, that this likely a software issue with ios 5. Hopefully and update forthcoming in case others have the same problem.

vsnlweb

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Maybe you should just take it back and tell them what is happening.... They usually are very good about replacing their stuff....

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
With my launch day iP4 last year I had a speakerphone weird issue. Took it in the next day and they handed me a refurbished one. But right now their refurbished one are actually brand new as they haven't had enough come back through to get the repair cycle going so don't worry about getting it replaced.

maqsur1

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, as long as I press speaker phone on (and then back off), the earpiece works fine. Also, incoming calls work fine without any workaround.

So I know the hardware works, just some glitch. Oh well, it'll be replaced next week as per Verizon corporate store where I bought it.

maqsur1

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Tried the iphone headphones (as opposed to my reg headphones) to plug in the jack in and out as advised on another webpage.

Right now dialing is working with sound normal from earpiece. Hopefully this will remain the case. Will update as needed.

UPDATE: Few mins later, same problem. Replacement here I come.

Last edited:

phinx404

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes all plastic is off. Hence when I hit speaker phone on and off it then works. Same as few others reported. I will pop into the carrier store I got it tomorrow and see wht they say

maqsur1

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I stopped by Apple Store tonight, they said they needed to have a technician look at it. Strangely enough, for the past hour, it has not had the problem. Oh well, we'll see by next week when Verizon calls to replace the phone (once they get new shipment).

* Nope, still having the problem. Oh well, I hope it's just a software glitch; seems to happen with different models of iphones over the years. Anyone else besides the OP and myself?

Last edited:

JimMeadows

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue with My new 4s with some phones but works fine with others. Turning speakerphone on/off when it occurs then causes it to start working. It may be just with ios5 phones. Hope there is a SW fix.

phinx404

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
same here! i did another full restore and setup as new without restoring backup and still same issue. only fix was speaker phone on.off and works great. because it works after that and perfectly it god to be software. I'm waiting for update to see if it fixes it. if not i will exchange at the store.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This may sound obvious, but did you remove the plastic from the screen? I saw this happen to someone.
It happened to me with a test call to Verizon Verizon tech who set up my activation to the network via phonev was incompetent and did not know just to take off the plastic. I had to waste a trip to a Verizon store to find this out.

1990reds

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Having the same issue. Took it to AT&T, and they replaced the sim card -- didin't fix it. Took it to the Apple Store, and they gave me a new phone. Worked fine for the first few calls -- now it's back to the same issue again. Hopefully it's a software issue and will be fixed with an update.

Happens on 75%+ of my outgoing calls whether they are land lines or cells.

maqsur1

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Having the same issue. Took it to AT&T, and they replaced the sim card -- didin't fix it. Took it to the Apple Store, and they gave me a new phone. Worked fine for the first few calls -- now it's back to the same issue again. Hopefully it's a software issue and will be fixed with an update.

Happens on 75%+ of my outgoing calls whether they are land lines or cells.

I'm actually relieved it's not just me and seems more likely a software glitch. Cause the phone works great otherwise. Guess I'll refrain from returning it for now.

phinx404

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
i called and explained to the my carrier store that i bought it from and they said they will exchange it. no stock at the moment. didn't see that coming, lol. once they are in i will get a call to exchange. update after that. =)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh