No sound during outgoing call until hit speaker phone

maqsur1

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
i called and explained to the my carrier store that i bought it from and they said they will exchange it. no stock at the moment. didn't see that coming, lol. once they are in i will get a call to exchange. update after that. =)

I went today to the Genius Bar at apple store. They made a couple test calls (which worked). I was walking out, but decided to try a call again, and again it muted, so I brought the phone back in while the call was still going (i dialed apple corp).

They checked for few mins and back, and gave me a new replacement phone. Now things are Kosher. Try the apple store near you, they will probably have a replacement.

kellyp513

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I encountered the same problem when I got my phone on Monday, and using speakerphone seemed to solve it.

However, today I'm having a similar problem: I can hear fine on incoming/outgoing calls, but the callers are having a hard time hearing me (saying I sound like I'm under water) until I turn on the speakerphone. However, if I turn speakerphone off, they have trouble hearing me again.

I'm thinking I'll go back to the AT&T store and see what happens.

maqsur1

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm keeping my fingers crossed at the moment; since using my replacement 4s since yesterday, no problems with outgoing calls (incoming were never a problem - in fact, my bro-in-law said I sounded nice and clear).

Seeing as (finally) more people are having this issue, this sounds more like a software issue with the 4s - earpiece worked fine on my initial 4s after toggling speakerphone on/off.

We'll see if Apple comes out with an update to address this.

1990reds

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I posted earlier in this thread that I had exchanged my 16gb White 4s (AT&T) and that my replacement phone had the same issue.

Had my wife take my replacement 4s back to the Apple Store today. They thought the problem was because I was restoring from my backup and suggested to sync everything to iCloud and then restore. Still had the same issue. They finally gave us another new 4s (3rd one) and now the problem is gone, so it seems like it might be a hardware issue after all.

New phone is echoing badly when on voice calls which Apple says is AT&T's fault, but the outgoing calls are all connecting so far with sound in the earpiece.

So if you live near an Apple Store, I would recommend taking it to them and attempt to get it replaced.

Mister869

May 20, 2010
Visit site
This is an actual defective speaker (headset) issue. I just replaced mine (Verizon 4S 32gb) with Apple on Monday. When talking with the genius he said that although it is not common, it has been an on going issue that has been seen with the iPhone 4 and now iPhone 4s.

Reactions: kellyp513

dunamis

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I have had this problem couple of times since I had it Friday afternoon.

Are people having this problem all the time? I don't know if this is something I should be concerned or not.....I did notice it happened once right after my phone disconnected from my car's bluetooth system. Had to reboot and it was back to normal....

kellyp513

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
This is an actual defective speaker (headset) issue. I just replaced mine (Verizon 4S 32gb) with Apple on Monday. When talking with the genius he said that although it is not common, it has been an on going issue that has been seen with the iPhone 4 and now iPhone 4s.

Just came back from AT&T. The rep would have exchanged with phone with no problem, but they are now out of stock. He called a few other area stores, but no luck. He suggested making an appointment at the Apple store because they have a good supply of phones. I can't get there until Saturday, so I just made an appointment. Hopefully I will get the phone replaced with no problem. Thanks for posting - it's good to know that the genius acknowledged that there is a problem.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73