Battery life issues?

Ravanelli

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone 4S today is standby for 16 hours and 33 minutes ( usage 3 hours, 35 minutes ).
And now still 50% left.....

Is that normal, good or great??

I use it for Facebook, messaging, and few minutes gaming.

06FG2

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Even though I just have an iPhone 4, the battery sucks too. Plugged it in 4 times yesterday also. Just very sad Apple. Please make another fix.

Edit: While typing this post it took down 2% of my battery when this phone was at 100%. Very disappointing.

Ugh..I woke up my phones plugged in, and my battery was at 93%..I understand that if its on the charger and fully charged it'll shut off the connection..I'd be okay with it, if it was at 97-99%..But 93? REALLY?

I unplugged it 2 hours ago, and its now at 71% from JUST texting, and light VERY light internet use.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
ok..

new problem.. anyone else have it where your battery usage and stand by is blank with a couple of dashes on both. It's been like this all night..

anyone have any suggestions on what this is or what to do?

As a follow up.. i was using my phone pretty heavily yesterday, just trying to really push the battery.. I was doing real well.. something like 5 hours of usage and my battery was only at like 65%.. I kept pushing it till it got to around 30% and then when to check the usage and it was blank! :eek: Argh! There goes my baseline data! Not sure why this happened. I didn't plug my phone in at any time.. just used it during the day.

Anyone else have this happen?

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Ugh..I woke up my phones plugged in, and my battery was at 93%..I understand that if its on the charger and fully charged it'll shut off the connection..I'd be okay with it, if it was at 97-99%..But 93? REALLY?

I unplugged it 2 hours ago, and its now at 71% from JUST texting, and light VERY light internet use.

do you turn off your phone at night before you charge it?

I turn the phone off each night before charging and every morning when I unplug it it reads 100%..

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone 4S today is standby for 16 hours and 33 minutes ( usage 3 hours, 35 minutes ).
And now still 50% left.....

Is that normal, good or great??

I use it for Facebook, messaging, and few minutes gaming.

:)thats pretty good stats Ravanelli !! i'd say your doing just fine;):)

currently i'm at usage: 2h 33m/standby 18h 41m with 63% left, from charged 100% full last night at 930ish pm.

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

if you just charge it and not close apps that were running this could be impacting that. Your phone is still pulling or using data for apps that are still running.. I do believe that once it's fully charged it stops this process but not everything else that I just mentioned.

**read my previous post about putting it in airplane mode** It's similar to powering it off thus not pulling data for anything which doesn't pull on the battery.

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Sometime I woke up at 93 also but I can't duplicate it only thing I can tell is it seems to happen when I leave it docked on charger longer than I normally do .. Like bed at 9pm till 7 am vs bed at 1130 pm till 7am

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ABNChemo

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I can't prove it but before the update to 5.0.1 I could almost got 2 days between charge (Charge Sun night and good until Tue evening).

Now I must charge everyday and I have not changed my usage mainly texting, light surfing, twitter, Facebook and occasional games

Ravanelli

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

Never happen to me, I charge my iPhone 4S overnight most of the times. And its stay 100% in the morning.
And stay at 100% longer if it charged overnight

06FG2

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
do you turn off your phone at night before you charge it?

I turn the phone off each night before charging and every morning when I unplug it it reads 100%..

I wont turn my phone off, or put it in airplane mod. God-forbid if my parents/girlfriend need me in the middle of the night.
if you just charge it and not close apps that were running this could be impacting that. Your phone is still pulling or using data for apps that are still running.. I do believe that once it's fully charged it stops this process but not everything else that I just mentioned.

**read my previous post about putting it in airplane mode** It's similar to powering it off thus not pulling data for anything which doesn't pull on the battery.
I think most apps I close during the night..The only ones i leave 'runing' is messages, phone, mail. Thats about it, and sometimes Google latitude but I;ve tested the phone with it on and off and it didnt impact the phone at all.

I ended up buying the juice pack today..I can't afford to be stuck somewhere with a dead phone..So hopefully that Juice pack helps.

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I put my phone in airplane mode when I go to bed at night while its charging works like a charm. I wake up at 100%

That is what i do. I charge it and when i wake up at night I check battery doctor and it is charged. I unplug it in airplane mod and leave it till the morning. I wake up at 100%. Airplane mode is perfect: it prevents the phone from waking me up and preserves the battery at the same time.

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
That is what i do. I charge it and when i wake up at night I check battery doctor and it is charged. I unplug it in airplane mod and leave it till the morning. I wake up at 100%. Airplane mode is perfect: it prevents the phone from waking me up and preserves the battery at the same time.

yep.. exactly.. works like a champ for me.. do it every night.

gern blanston

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
As a follow up.. i was using my phone pretty heavily yesterday, just trying to really push the battery.. I was doing real well.. something like 5 hours of usage and my battery was only at like 65%.. I kept pushing it till it got to around 30% and then when to check the usage and it was blank! :eek: Argh! There goes my baseline data! Not sure why this happened. I didn't plug my phone in at any time.. just used it during the day.

Anyone else have this happen?

Yes, this happens to me from time to time, but I'm not sure why. I check Usage after I fully charge to see if it's showing "0" or "-": if it's showing "-", I'll plug the phone in while I'm looking at Usage, and "0" will usually appear meaning that the timers have restarted.

Snipperdo17

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
i am actually pretty impressed with the battery life..every droid I had didn't have a chance of making it through the day on one charge but the iphone does most days

symtronic

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
went to the apple store yesterday... the "genius" did diagnostics on my phone and then told me it was operating normally and that i should reduce the brightness or wait for a software update to come out. I asked when the next update would be released as i beta test using a developer account... he didnt know.

I got home and then found the 5.1 update. Battery life is still terrible, nothing compared to my old iphone4

DamageINC.

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
updated to 5.01 and it resolved most of the problems with battery life. I have a feeling no matter what you do the battery drain will always be an issue. I took a 4 hour hike using a GPS app (sportypal) the whole time and taking over 30 pictures and making no phone calls. it went from 100% to 20% by the end of the 4 hour walk.

mwildermuth

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I got the iPhone 4S for Sprint about a month ago, and I have noticed that battery life as slowly getting worse. I use to go a whole day and still be around 50% but now I around 30% at the end of the day. If this pattern continues I'll be charging my phone during the day in about 2 months.