Battery life issues?

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
My first full day was fair as far as battery life. Pretty heavy use, was down to 7 % when I went to bed.
Charged all night. Was at 100 % when I got up yesterday am.
Went into settings and turned off everything I didn't need on, turned off notifications on everything I didn't need, and also turned off location services on everything I didn't need.
Put it on charge around 8 pm, it was fully charged at 11:30 pm so I took it off charge and let it sit all night unplugged.
Woke up this am and it was still at 100% charge. No loss while sitting for 6 hours.
I'll monitor it through the day and see how it holds up on a normal work day. So far so good.
On a normal work day, my android would be down to 15 % by the time I got home at 6 pm, and I would put it on charge til the next am.
We'll see today how the iPhone compares to the android I had.

Len
Each day you use it, the battery should perform better. Usually when iPhones are brand new they get about 1/2 the battery life than they do after 2 weeks of normal use.
It's difficult to figure out if the phone is draining the power quickly or if it's just because it's a new battery. I'm seeing some pretty substantial drops through the day and I'm trying not to get too excited until the battery has broken in a bit. It seems like I see this every year with a new iPhone but it always gets better.

Reactions: ajm91484

bohica56

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't post here much, as this forum has such a wealth of information that I have little to add. That said, I came here looking for info about battery life because my new 4S had such abysmal battery life when I first got it that I had to know if everyone else was if getting the same thing.

When I first got my 4S, I restored from backup as I have a large number of apps and data that I would have had to restore manually if I set up my 4S as a new phone. I have had an iPhone 3G, 3GS, AT&T iPhone 4, and Verizon iPhone 4. Each time I changed, I restored from a backup of the previous phone. I can only imagine how much crap got restored from phone to phone, and numerous iOS upgrades.

Anyway, my iPhone 4S was draining the battery at a rate of 1% an hour when idle, and I could easily lose 15% an hour if actively texting or surfing the web. Last night, I bit the bullet. I wiped the phone and started over. What a pain! It took a while to restore everything back to normal, but battery life is now excellent and comparable to my iPhone 4 when it was new.

If you are suffering from poor iPhone 4S battery life and you haven't done this, try it. It just might work for you.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't like to hold back on my usage. This phone is too awesome to not use it the way it is meant to be used. I went to Verizon over the weekend and bought the Mophie Juice Plus case and I haven't put the phone down since I've taken it off the charger this morning at 7am. I have used it to send over a hundred texts, some emails, a dozen phone calls, video call, played video games for about an hour and a half, on tapatalk, web browsing, used gps, played a video for co-workers, and listened to music. I'm at 83 percent. That's awesome to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaser1337

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
another thing to check is an improperly setup exchange account on the phone. such as ssl not being checked and having the wrong password will cause an iphone that would normally last a full day, to drain in a matter of hours..... found this out the hard way this weekend.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
...my iPhone 4S was draining the battery at a rate of 1% an hour when idle, and I could easily lose 15% an hour if actively texting or surfing the web. Last night, I bit the bullet. I wiped the phone and started over. What a pain! It took a while to restore everything back to normal, but battery life is now excellent and comparable to my iPhone 4 when it was new.

If you are suffering from poor iPhone 4S battery life and you haven't done this, try it. It just might work for you.

That's good to know. I did not restore from a previous iOS device profile, but I did connect to iTunes to set up my 4S. No problems going that route.

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I've gotta say, coming from an android phone, anyone who complains about the battery of this phone CLEARLY has never used an android phone before. This phone's battery life is amazing to me compared to my past phones.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Guys tell me how my battery life is compared to yalls.

Battery is at 32%

Screen brightness 55-60%

Usage 4 Hours and 23 minutes
Standby 20 hours 1 minute

Call Time - 2 hours and 21 minutes

Data
Sent - 12.3 MB
Received - 130 MB

Are these decent numbers compared to everyone else

06FG2

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Stupid question, sorry if its been said alot..This is my first iphone and I'm just wondereing..

If lets say i go to bed at 11:00pm thats when i connect my phone to charge..I wake up at 10:30am..and unplug it when i wake up..Will i have any effect on the battery if Its still plugged in at 100% for a few hours? lets say at 2am its fully charged and I don't unplug it until 10:30. (thats at the absolute latest)

In short, If i 'over charge' will i ruin the battery?

ktrent#CB

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Stupid question, sorry if its been said alot..This is my first iphone and I'm just wondereing..

If lets say i go to bed at 11:00pm thats when i connect my phone to charge..I wake up at 10:30am..and unplug it when i wake up..Will i have any effect on the battery if Its still plugged in at 100% for a few hours? lets say at 2am its fully charged and I don't unplug it until 10:30. (thats at the absolute latest)

In short, If i 'over charge' will i ruin the battery?

I don't think the phone will let u overcharge it. On another note u get way way more sleep than me.

06FG2

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the phone will let u overcharge it. On another note u get way way more sleep than me.

Maybe overcharging is a bad word to use..if i keep it plugged in for hours on end with 100% battery will it damage the battery?

And well 10:30 is just over shooting it..I wake up around 8. 8:30 if im lucky hahah

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Maybe overcharging is a bad word to use..if i keep it plugged in for hours on end with 100% battery will it damage the battery?

No.

(Did you know that a reply to this forum needs to be at least 10 characters long? My one word answer was rejected.)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

And well 10:30 is just over shooting it..I wake up around 8. 8:30 if im lucky hahah

I think after a while if you leave it plugged in all the time the battery will hold a charge shorter amounts of time and need to be charged more often.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I think after a while if you leave it plugged in all the time the battery will hold a charge shorter amounts of time and need to be charged more often.

You would be incorrect. You cannot shorten the useful life of your iPad or iPhone battery by leaving it plugged it.

It will not over charge.

Your battery has a fixed number of full charge discharge cycles available. If you do this a full charge at a time or one percent at a time it makes no difference.

The only value in fully discharging you iPad or iPhone battery is in resetting the percent utilization meter.

Manchild Pr0digy

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has been excellent so far. I haven't been hammering the phone just for the sake of hammering it, but have been using it like normal. It's been almost 3 days since I last charged it. This is considerably better than my 3GS and a HUGE difference compared to the Droid Bionic. Yeah, the Bionic has true 4G capability, but at least I can use the 4S without having to charge it twice a day.

RagedUSMC

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I go to bed at 11pm with a fully charged (100%) iPhone 4S, when i wake up at 5:30am its down to 72-74%, thats pretty crappy considering its setup the same way my iPhone 4 (running iOS 5) was and with that it would still have been at 97% when i woke up. So to me, I'm not really sure if its an iOS problem, my wife is on a iPhone 4 and running iOS 5 and doesn't have that much for a battery drain.

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
one thing you can do is put your phone in airplane mode. That seems to help me.. I work at a secure facility where there are a lot of "special equipment so with my previous phone and now this one there seems to be a battery drain due to lack of signal strength.. So it seems to be a battle that no smartphone can win.. I will end up having to charge my iP4S at work at some point during the day. But outside of work I get over 24hrs without a charge.

Kylazin

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
So, am I not the only one with the issue where the phone is discharging while plugged in? Is this an OS issue maybe? Or should I take it back to Apple?

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
None of this battery drain is normal. You need to restore the device. If that doesn't work, take it back and exchange.

I took my 4S off of the charger yesterday at 6:00 AM. I used it heavily all day and it was at 10% at 9:00 PM last night. My usage was over 9 hours.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro