Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Expert

iOS Version

Default 4S downloads speeds are not faster than Iphone4 speeds

I'm upset this phone is HSPA+ and advertised as a 4G phone. I'm in a city with good 3G coverage. Always 4-5 cars. My Iphone4 was able to get 2.75 Mbps to 3.5 Mbps and earlier this morning tested the Iphone4 at my location with Speedtest app. I got a 3.01 Mbps. I just now tested the Iphone4S on the same app sitting in the same position and received a 3.55 Mbps download speed. Grrrrr

I'm not happy about having a 4S with download speeds almost the same as my Iphone4 but a nats *** faster. I have a strong 3G coverage area in this city so I'm not happy about it. Other than that the phone is amazing. Browser speed is definately faster than the Iphone4.
    Current White Iphone 4 8GB JB Evasi0n 7.0.4 because of budget reasons
    2011-12 White Iphone 4S 16 GB
    2011 White Iphone4 - 16GB
    2009-2011 Black Iphone 3GS 16 GB
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,576 Global Posts
    iOS Version

They specifically did not advertise it as 4g. Also, what carrier?
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Just because you have good 3G AT&T coverage does not mean that you also have HSPA+ coverage. Their network is not 100% HSPA+ yet.
    alpinestars1z and mab4285 like this.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
    I'm upset this phone is HSPA+ and advertised as a 4G phone. I'm in a city with good 3G coverage. Always 4-5 cars. My Iphone4 was able to get 2.75 Mbps to 3.5 Mbps and earlier this morning tested the Iphone4 at my location with Speedtest app. I got a 3.01 Mbps. I just now tested the Iphone4S on the same app sitting in the same position and received a 3.55 Mbps download speed. Grrrrr

I'm not happy about having a 4S with download speeds almost the same as my Iphone4 but a nats *** faster. I have a strong 3G coverage area in this city so I'm not happy about it. Other than that the phone is amazing. Browser speed is definately faster than the Iphone4.
    Have to blame AT&T here and not Apple. (And I'm not saying you are blaming either) They clearly state the phone is capable of certain speeds but never promise results.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Expert

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Patricksmangann View Post
    They specifically did not advertise it as 4g. Also, what carrier?
    Having the Iphone4S with a 4G icon on the picture of the phone looks like advertising as 4G to me in link below

And this being in the product listing looks like advertising as 4G to me....

"4G* HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul"

And inside the at&t store with a giant Iphone4S sign that says 4G on it, is advertising as 4G.

All over the place at&t has the Iphone4S advertised as a 4G phone.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Having the Iphone4S with a 4G icon on the picture of the phone looks like advertising as 4G to me in link below

And this being in the product listing looks like advertising as 4G to me....

"4G* HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul"

And inside the at&t store with a giant Iphone4S sign that says 4G on it, is advertising as 4G.

All over the place at&t has the Iphone4S advertised as a 4G phone.
    Like the above poster stated, HSPA+ is not up to par in every area and again they never promise a particular speed. Just something people have to accept even if we don't agree with it.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Expert

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post
    Just because you have good 3G AT&T coverage does not mean that you also have HSPA+ coverage. Their network is not 100% HSPA+ yet.
    How do you find a HSPA+ coverage map. Maybe I'm in the wrong, guys tell me if I am. But when I walk into a local at&t store with a giant 4G and Iphone4S logo on the same sign. I expect something of those speeds at least 20 feet away from that Iphone4S 4G sign. I just take this has a fake advertising not false advertising. Take the sign down if its not possible or don't put it up. Even had a local rep tell me the phone will see double the download speeds as my Iphone4 that I was exchanging. With me and my girlfriends plan. Being a customer thats paying over $100 a month, I deserve honesty. No sir this phone in this city will not see those speeds. Your phone will download just as fast as the 15 month old iphone4 will. I'm happy with honesty and can take anything.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

How do you find a HSPA+ coverage map. Maybe I'm in the wrong, guys tell me if I am. But when I walk into a local at&t store with a giant 4G and Iphone4S logo on the same sign. I expect something of those speeds at least 20 feet away from that Iphone4S 4G sign. I just take this has a fake advertising not false advertising. Take the sign down if its not possible or don't put it up. Even had a local rep tell me the phone will see double the download speeds as my Iphone4 that I was exchanging. With me and my girlfriends plan. Being a customer thats paying over $100 a month, I deserve honesty. No sir this phone in this city will not see those speeds. Your phone will download just as fast as the 15 month old iphone4 will. I'm happy with honesty and can take anything.
    I don't think you are wrong at all. And I think that is the reason Apple is not advertising the phone themselves as a 4G phone.
    iMore Expert

I know what you're complaining about, but are you really that unhappy with 3.5 mbps ??? I mean, for most stuff we all do with an iphone that's more than enough speed.. I see you're falling for the 4G thing.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Expert

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Guacho View Post
    I know what you're complaining about, but are you really that unhappy with 3.5 mbps ??? I mean, for most stuff we all do with an iphone that's more than enough speed.. I see you're falling for the 4G thing.
    I just expect once a year to get a little increase in speeds. My 3GS in 2010 was able to get close to these speeds. So I'm guessing at&t hasn't improved our towers in almost 2 years here. These phones are pricy. And I choose a carrier based off of certain aspects. I know what phone I want. But I need to check in on Sprints speeds in my area I guess. I've seen videos where guys were getting 7Mbps on Iphone4's before but not sure on location. Its been 2 years listening to the 3g capable of this and that speed. Its time to have real world speeds instead of these commercials.

Thanks for the input guys and at least you guys understand where I'm coming from. If 4G wasn't all over this phone from at&t I wouldn't be aggravated at all. I'm in love with the 4S and by far Apple hit it on a nail with this thing. I wish I had extra money to invest in stock before launch day. When word gets out about Siri,Camera, etc. Alot of people who have never owned a Iphone are going to be coming to the Apple world
    iPhone Intermediate

Don't take this the wrong way...but do you really expect 100% honesty from corporate america?

It's not about honesty, it's about aggressive marketing that walks a fine line between some element of truth and fiction.

ATT knows that HSPA+ coverage is limited at best, but they are hoping once you realize that you will still be happy with your purchase. As you mentioned in your original post "other than that the phone is amazing".

I am not blaming you, or saying that you should not be upset. Unfortunately what you have seen from AT&T is a common marketing practice.
    iMore Expert

I have a very good 3G coverage where I live in southwest florida but no HSPA+ so I guess at&t means 4G speeds " where available" and that part kind of sucks.
    Question: is there really a 4G icon in the new iphone 4S?? I thought this was a rumor.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,712 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

i think its only a 14.4 hspa+ which really isnt great. Just be grateful you get a little extra boost over the cdma's....
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Ha well that's what you get with at&ts faux 4g lmao.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Expert

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Guacho View Post
    I have a very good 3G coverage where I live in southwest florida but no HSPA+ so I guess at&t means 4G speeds " where available" and that part kind of sucks.
    Question: is there really a 4G icon in the new iphone 4S?? I thought this was a rumor.
    Yeh check out the picture in the link . Iphone 4S - 4G and next to it Iphone 4 - 3G

iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Yeh check out the picture in the link . Iphone 4S - 4G and next to it Iphone 4 - 3G

Just because its in a pic doesn't mean everywhere has hspa+ I would blame yourself for not looking at the right coverage map don't blame at&t or apple
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    283 Global Posts

This HSPA+ 4G debate has been going on for like a year now. Tmobile and AT&T are both doing it.

However, I wouldn't be so fast to dismiss it as being slower. The Speedtest.net app is wildly erratic and really doesn't give a good indication of how fast the network is going to be. It typically isn't repeatable from test to test.

With that said, I wish there was some way to know if you are on HSPA+ or not.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,712 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

anandtech wrote an article on this... its got all the technical goodies in it if you are interested.

iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

It's interesting. Mine reports 7.43 down on the 3GS. I'll see what it says on the 4S.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,510 Global Posts

Here is ATT's coverage map. Advanced backhaul is not available everywhere.

Click on "learn more" under the 4G blurb on the left of the screen.
    iPhone Newbie

The iPhone 4s is still a 3G phone. hspa+ just ups the 3g max speed to 14.4 mbps. The iPhone 4 is capped at 7.2. So if you get anything under 7.2 you will see no difference between the two phones. The only people who will see a difference will be the ones who regularly hit the hspa cap at around 7.2 Mbps on their iPhone 4 or 3GS.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,570 Global Posts

Seems like your area is like my area. 3G only.

You need to be in an area with enhanced backhaul or what AT&T calls 4G.

Don't be that upset. In areas like ours we're not likely to get LTE any time soon either.

True story though, my bro in law is happy as a clam with his 4G Epic from Sprint. He really emphasizes that 4G to everyone. But Sprint doesn't even offer wimax in our area and probably won't with their LTE plans. Even though i've told him, I don't think he believed me. He saw all the 4G signs too.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,501 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0 B7

Yeah dude, the thing is that no matter how capable the phone is in achiving the "stated" speeds, it's all on the network. I live in Manhattan and when i had att i would average 1.7mbps down, with VZ i now get 2.3 or so down. I never ever saw speeds over 2.5mbps down with att and no matter if i have a phone capaple of HSPA+ of 21.1, i will still get 1.5.

So seeing that my service with VZ in manhattan is faster and without a doubt more relieable, i am happy with the 3G VZ service. That said, there's people in the Midwest who get 5mbps or more so i would probably choose att then.
    iMore Expert

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Seems like your area is like my area. 3G only.

You need to be in an area with enhanced backhaul or what AT&T calls 4G.

Don't be that upset. In areas like ours we're not likely to get LTE any time soon either.

True story though, my bro in law is happy as a clam with his 4G Epic from Sprint. He really emphasizes that 4G to everyone. But Sprint doesn't even offer wimax in our area and probably won't with their LTE plans. Even though i've told him, I don't think he believed me. He saw all the 4G signs too.
    Hahah I know exactly what you mean, two people from my work have showed me their new android 4G phones and they had no idea 4G was a network, for some reason they thought it was a super fast phone just for being 4G..
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,235 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I don't know about you but i DEFINITELY notice a difference...i just tested it because of this thread (though i had already noticed it before) and its noticeably faster than my iPhone 4 was...tethering is faster too, MUCH faster.

Im in a good market since Atlanta is one of AT&T's focus markets (and one of the headquarters), so that would probably explain it.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast