Text dictation question (re: punctuation)

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
My first post...be nice. ;)

I'm a current Android user and a frequent user of the speech-to-text feature. Question regarding how the iPhone dictation handles punctuation...

On my Android, if I say something like "I am at the game period (short pause) are you here yet question mark" it will print "I am at the game. Are you here yet?". Are you able to speak the punctuation on an iPhone as well?

Thanks very much!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
My first post...be nice. ;)

I'm a current Android user and a frequent user of the speech-to-text feature. Question regarding how the iPhone dictation handles punctuation...

On my Android, if I say something like "I am at the game period (short pause) are you here yet question mark" it will print "I am at the game. Are you here yet?". Are you able to speak the punctuation on an iPhone as well?

Thanks very much!

Yes, you can do exactly that with the same results.

Reactions: bostoneagle104

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I tried what you said word for word in Siri. 1 route without saying punctuation, and the other route with punctuation.

In Siri, when speaking if you pause that means it thinks you are done, even a quick pause. To have puncuation in a Siri message. You have to say "I am at the game period Are you here yet question mark than Siri spits out "I am at the game. Are you here yet?" If you don't say the puncuation Siri will leave it out and it will say " I am at the game are you here yet "

Hope this helps. Basically Siri isn't going to do anything you didn't tell it too.

Josh

Reactions: bostoneagle104

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I tried what you said word for word in Siri. 1 route without saying punctuation, and the other route with punctuation.

In Siri, when speaking if you pause that means it thinks you are done, even a quick pause. To have puncuation in a Siri message. You have to say "I am at the game period Are you here yet question mark than Siri spits out "I am at the game. Are you here yet?" If you don't say the puncuation Siri will leave it out and it will say " I am at the game are you here yet "

Hope this helps. Basically Siri isn't going to do anything you didn't tell it too.

Josh

He was referring to text dictation, not Siri. At least that is how I took it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm referring to sending a text message. Not sure if that means you are using Siri or general text dication on an iPhone.

You can do it either way. You can tell Siri to send a text or you can use the text dictation button on the keyboard within the messaging application. The other poster was correct with what he said about how Siri will listen to you but the dictation will handle it a bit differently.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh