iPhone Questions

BB9650

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I am growing more and more disenchanted with my BB. Now with everything else that is happening to RIM I feel as though I may want to try the iPhone4S. I have some concerns though. I keep hearing that email sucks on iPhone, is this true? I use @msn and @gmail accounts, do they work on the iPhone? I am a small business owner so I need these emails to get to me as soon as they are sent I sometimes can't wait for the 15 minutes polling, is this possible? I have also heard that personalizing the ringtones, sms alerts, and email notifications is non-existent. Again is this true? Does the vibration and ringtone work simultaneously, I work in an environment where this is a MUST have? I have learned to install leaked and hybrid OS's on my BB. It has gotten me into trouble and gotten me out. Can this be done with iPhone, will I need to? I tried a D2 for 2 weeks and HATED it. Do they even compare? Also I will be doing some international traveling in the next year, will the 4S be able to accomplish this on Verizon or will I be taking a loaner phone?
Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I am growing more and more disenchanted with my BB. Now with everything else that is happening to RIM I feel as though I may want to try the iPhone4S. I have some concerns though. I keep hearing that email sucks on iPhone, is this true? I use @msn and @gmail accounts, do they work on the iPhone? I am a small business owner so I need these emails to get to me as soon as they are sent I sometimes can't wait for the 15 minutes polling, is this possible? I have also heard that personalizing the ringtones, sms alerts, and email notifications is non-existent. Again is this true? Does the vibration and ringtone work simultaneously, I work in an environment where this is a MUST have? I have learned to install leaked and hybrid OS's on my BB. It has gotten me into trouble and gotten me out. Can this be done with iPhone, will I need to? I tried a D2 for 2 weeks and HATED it. Do they even compare? Also I will be doing some international traveling in the next year, will the 4S be able to accomplish this on Verizon or will I be taking a loaner phone?

The iPhone 4S and iOS 5 has an updated E-Mail so maybe its better? But, nothing is going to compare to a Blackberry device. That's what it's made for sending e-mails. iPhone is made for everything else. :D

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Wow, so much misinformation here. First, msn and gmail works perfectly with an iPhone. Alerts are fully customizable with the new OS. You can jailbreak your iPhone to install non-approved apps and OS modifications.

I don't know why people rip on the iPhone email capabilities. It has matured to the point that it is on par with blackberry. The only thing I think people don't like is the on screen keyboard. However, once you get used to the iPhone keyboard, you would never go back to a blackberry.

Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: zackawee27

Maestro1#AC

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

as far as gmail is concerned I have heard if you set it up as an exchange account you will be able to use push email. So they get to you right away. With the new ios5 that you will be able to change a nd customize alerts. Vibe and ring I believe do work simultaneously, (can someone clArify ) that is a biggie for me I want my phone to always vibe whether I have sounds on or off.

you can always jailbreak, if you want too. Not sure how this whole international unlock is playing out. But I believe Verizon will unlock sim after 60 days.

what did you mot like about D2?

if worse comes to worse and you don't like iPhone... Give the bold 9930 a try I played with one at sprint store and thought was amazing especially compared to my old curve that I had. Email rules, keyboard is awesome, os7 is really good, notifications are really good, and universal search.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone is perfectly capable of email functionality which would be more than enough for 99.999% of users...

The only thing iPhone doesn't do as well as Blackberry are things that are specific features OF blackberry phones, and to be honest, the way i've used the email program, i haven't found a road block on the personal OR business end yet using my iPhone.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
on Sprint...i use a blackberry 9930 on my main line (amazing blackberry) now i added a 3nd line and added an iphone4s to my sprint account. im only literally paying $40 more a month on my family plan to have an iphone...im actually very excited to get the iphone friday when it gets delivered to my office...im having a hard time believing i may end up preferring an iphone over a blackberry...but who knows...maybe i do...maybe i dont...im even ready to accept and keep both the iphone and blackberry all together =] (best of both worlds) lol

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak for the mail comparison with the BB but I love email on my iPhone. It is very simple, yet powerful. It will run MSN and gmail accounts perfectly (my primary email account on my iPhone is gmail).
Yes, you can have an audible ring and vibration simultaneously with an iPhone. It is my primary way of setting the ring on my iPhone.

I always tell people the same thing when switching from a PC to a Mac: Any issues or things you may not initially like about it when you first switch are completely overshadowed by the complete experience of owning a Mac. The same thing goes with an iPhone. It is a computer in your pocket and the best phone out there. The Jailbreak community is very strong and the Cydia (JB) app store is full of great options.

Don't delay! Do it!

mister23

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
After much consideration I decided to switch from a BB 9650 to the iphone 4S. I think the only reason a BB is appealing to companies is that their encryption is really good. But now since the BB network is down it only validates why I made the switch. My phone will be here on Friday.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

For both Gmail and MSN/Hotmail/LIVE you can set them up on the iPhone via MS Exchange and get your emails pushed to you instantly same as BB. You can do custom ringtones right now and in iOS 5 I believe custom SMS tones as well but I am not sure about email alerts. If you have the vibration turned on when the phone rings it will also vibrate.

You can't install another OS version on the iPhone but you can jailbreak it which allows you to do other tweaks and things via the Cydia store. The iPhone 4S is a world phone meaning it supports both GSM and CDMA networks.

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
For email .... setup as exchange and then you will get push instead of a refresh rate. By far the iPhone is the best phone to have .... BB do well with email but nothing else where the iPhone does well with all.

BB9650

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses so far.
Is there any limit to how many email accounts? How well does deleting emails and showing opened and unopened emails link to your desktop? Comparable to BB?
I didn't care for Droid because battery life was horrendous. It seemed like I was always worrying about plugging it in. Also I didn't care for the UI, it just felt weird to me. How is battery life on an iPhone? I plug my BB in every night. Sometimes I could probably get 2 days out of a charge but most days I am down to 40%, so I just always plug it in.