MacRumors: No more free iPhone replacements

spuntz82

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Bad News :(

No you do not need both. Either will work, it is all what you prefer.

Just got off the phone with sprint. Total Equipment Protection ($8 a month) does not cover the iPhone. She said we do have to buy Apple Care for $99 and it has to be bought the day the phone is activated. She said that I can bill the $99 to my sprint account or I can pay it at the store, but she made it real clear that it has to be bought before or on the day of activation.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with sprint. Total Equipment Protection ($8 a month) does not cover the iPhone. She said we do have to buy Apple Care for $99 and it has to be bought the day the phone is activated. She said that I can bill the $99 to my sprint account or I can pay it at the store, but she made it real clear that it has to be bought before or on the day of activation.

Oh well on verizon their Total Equipment protection covers the iphone. That makes sense that you have to get it right away that will cut down on those who break their phone and then get the insurance just to cover it.

elavum

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Does anybody know how to purchase applecare+ for iphone 4s ordered through verizon, I didn't get the asurion insurance. :(

ivhs72

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
With Sprint, it will be the only option for coverage. They do not include iPhones under their carrier insurance program called the TEP or total equipment replacement. But AT&T and Verizon do. What are the differences between the AppleCare + and the insurance that those two carriers offer. Better? Worse? Would AppleCare + compliment what they don't cover?

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I bought it. $50 for a replacement phone if I break it is a pretty darn good deal. Having Apple service and not some oddball warranty company is also a pleasing thought. Especially when the idea of replacement to a lot of them is you footing the bill for a $700 phone and they send you a check when they get around to it.

With Sprint, it will be the only option for coverage. They do not include iPhones under their carrier insurance program called the TEP or total equipment replacement. But AT&T and Verizon do. What are the differences between the AppleCare + and the insurance that those two carriers offer. Better? Worse? Would AppleCare + compliment what they don't cover?

Their are two main differences, cost and coverage. The carriers all use Asurion. The main thing they cover that Apple does not is loss and theft. The other main differentiator is cost. Asurion is $12 a month plus $169 deductable for replacement. If you have one phone replaced before buying the next iPhone(12 months of coverage with one replacement) the cost for Applecare is $150 vs. $315 for Asurion. If you go the full two years and use two replacements the cost is $200 for Applecare vs. $630 for Asurion. Asurion will also cover more than two replacements as well. If you think that you will need two replacements, are prone to losing phones, or think you have a high likelihood of it being stolen then Asurion is what you need at the higher cost. Otherwise Applecare+ is the way to IMHO.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I bought it. $50 for a replacement phone if I break it is a pretty darn good deal. Having Apple service and not some oddball warranty company is also a pleasing thought. Especially when the idea of replacement to a lot of them is you footing the bill for a $700 phone and they send you a check when they get around to it.

Their are two main differences, cost and coverage. The carriers all use Asurion. The main thing they cover that Apple does not is loss and theft. The other main differentiator is cost. Asurion is $12 a month plus $169 deductable for replacement. If you have one phone replaced before buying the next iPhone(12 months of coverage with one replacement) the cost for Applecare is $150 vs. $315 for Asurion. If you go the full two years and use two replacements the cost is $200 for Applecare vs. $630 for Asurion. Asurion will also cover more than two replacements as well. If you think that you will need two replacements, are prone to losing phones, or think you have a high likelihood of it being stolen then Asurion is what you need at the higher cost. Otherwise Applecare+ is the way to IMHO.

Asurion is such a hassle most of the times too. Not to mention you get a refurb where I'm not sure if you get a refurb through apple care.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Okay this REALLY sucks! Its even worse that we're paying $99 for 2yrs worth of insurance and $49 for an incident. Twice....

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Okay this REALLY sucks! Its even worse that we're paying $99 for 2yrs worth of insurance and $49 for an incident. Twice....

What do you expect? I mean you are getting a replacement that costs $600+ dollars for 150. I would be glad they don't raise the price more than that.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

The alternative that is in place today is totally subjective - and could very well swing on whether the Genius is having a good day or bad, or if your a hot, sweet young thing or middle-aged dad with a beer gut.

This way, you get what you pay for - you understand the parameters and everybody wins.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal