how to activate siri?

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Do you have to hold down a button every time you want to use it, or could you have your phone just sitting on your desk and you could ask it a question?

gregorypleau

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Siri seems to have a conversation mode where you don't have to keep pressing the button to keep things going ... I suspect it keeps listening for a bit if it's just given information. We'll know on Friday.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
In the promo video from apple it shows a woman asking for conversion factors while baking and then starting a timer. I don't recall seeing her do either, is there any other way to activate it that we don't know about?

She pressed it before she asked and then set it down.

Or she's a witch.

Kylazin

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys! Total newbie here switching from Android.

This was my thought as well, if you have to press the button to activate Siri, it almost seems easier to just use the phone... unless I am of course baking and need to set a timer ;)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Or maybe both.

EDIT: Actually I just watched the video again, and it does not show her hitting the button. But perhaps you have seen the Director's cut of the vid:D

I know it doesn't *show* her hitting the button. When I was watching it, it was implicit to me that she had already hit the button before her sequence begins (for the sake of continuity).

Hey guys! Total newbie here switching from Android.

This was my thought as well, if you have to press the button to activate Siri, it almost seems easier to just use the phone... unless I am of course baking and need to set a timer ;)

Well, as we've just learned, you can also raise the phone to your ear to activate Siri. This seems like a much quicker, and much less embarrassing way to use Siri in public.

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather use a button to activate.

I mean, what if I accidentally slip and fall on my butt and yell "OUCH, MY ASS HURTS!".

And Siri, which activates from all the jostling, replys, "There's a Drug Store 5 blocks from your location with Mineral Ice Cooling Cream for sale. You can rub that on your butt to feel better."

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site

I mean, what if I accidentally slip and fall on my butt and yell "OUCH, MY ASS HURTS!".

And Siri, which activates from all the jostling, replys, "There's a Drug Store 5 blocks from your location with Mineral Ice Cooling Cream for sale. You can rub that on your butt to feel better."

It's not just motion that will activate it.

It's probably reacting first to the motion of being lifted upward (which it can distinguish using gyro, compass, accelerometer or whatever), and then it uses the proximity sensor to see that it's up to your ear.

This would prevent it from activating just by the prox sensor being covered, and it would also prevent it from activating just by being moved.

pipemilo

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I think you have to push a button. It would be cool if it activated on his own.
But you never now. Steve Jobs was full of surprises :')

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

I really did "laugh out loud" when I read that! :D