Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jumpman2033
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Expert

iOS Version

Default How is the buying process on release day?Organized or Chaos? Take a number? Any tips

I'm gonna be going to get a Iphone4S on release day. This will be my first time on release day for a Iphone buying process. I live in a city of 250,000 and we have more at&t stores than we need if that makes since. Like they should probaly close a few. In a 2 mile radius there are 4 at&t stores. The store I am going to the at&t rep said they will have more than enough phones for day1.

On to the main questions. How is the process? Is it organized or just chaos? Do you take a number down. Are there lines or just piles of people. I just don't know what to expect. If my store opens at 9am can I just show up at 9 or get there at like 3 in the morning? Does getting there 5 min before opening vs 5 hours before opening play any roll if you get your phone quicker or slower?

Guys who've done the release day process chime in. Let me know what I'm in for. Tips are greatly appreciated.

FYI. There is only 1 Apple store here so thats a nah on me going there, lol.

Thanks in advance
    Josh
    Current White Iphone 4 8GB JB Evasi0n 7.0.4 because of budget reasons
    2011-12 White Iphone 4S 16 GB
    2011 White Iphone4 - 16GB
    2009-2011 Black Iphone 3GS 16 GB
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts

I don't have any tips because I am on another network, but good luck with getting your phone I hope it's an easy process for you.
    It's better to be pissed off than pissed on

iPhone 6 64gb space grey . iPad air 64gb LTE silver . iPad mini 16gb LTE black/slate . MacBook Pro 13" . ATV 3rd gen . iPod classic . iPod nano
    iPhone Beginner

1 million pre-ordered Iphone 4S....
    There still will be more people trying to buy on first day.
    You might going to spend one hell of a time in a long line.
    It might be better not to get one from the Apple. Go to local
    network carrier.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Expert

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by ilwhana View Post
    1 million pre-ordered Iphone 4S....
    There still will be more people trying to buy on first day.
    You might going to spend one hell of a time in a long line.
    It might be better not to get one from the Apple. Go to local
    network carrier.
    Thats what i said I wasn't going through Apple and I have a at&t store picked out. Have any of you bought a iphone on the first day before no matter what carrier. BestBuy is getting in stores on the 14th also.I just want to know if it matters if I get that when the store opens vs getting there early in the night. Is it gonna matter when I get my phone. Like are the lines organized. Is a guy that got to the store at 9am going to be able to get a phone just as fast as the guy that spent the night?
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I've never been to an AT&T store on launch day. Been to the Apple store for several, and they are well organized inside the store. The lines are a party atmosphere, and lots of anxious customers. Free food and water, etc.

The AT&T store nearest to me is chaotic every time I go there - so personally, you would not catch me anywhere near that place on iPhone launch day. Good luck.

Look forward to your report on your experience!
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
    Thats what i said I wasn't going through Apple and I have a at&t store picked out. Have any of you bought a iphone on the first day before no matter what carrier. BestBuy is getting in stores on the 14th also.I just want to know if it matters if I get that when the store opens vs getting there early in the night. Is it gonna matter when I get my phone. Like are the lines organized. Is a guy that got to the store at 9am going to be able to get a phone just as fast as the guy that spent the night?
    As far as when to get there, I'd keep an eye on the place - drive by several times and see what the line looks like.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts

Agreed with the user above! I would maybe go a few hours before the store is going to open and see if there is a line starting to form. If there is, get in it lol and if there isn't I would still go back about an hour before the store opens. I would not wait until even late morning to go if you want it on Friday. I would rather be safe than worry and take a nap when I got home then go later and be without
    It's better to be pissed off than pissed on

iPhone 6 64gb space grey . iPad air 64gb LTE silver . iPad mini 16gb LTE black/slate . MacBook Pro 13" . ATV 3rd gen . iPod classic . iPod nano
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

To piggyback on the original question--I am planning to get an apple store gift certificate for a friend of mine and the only day available for me is Friday, no lie.

Is it easy to get non-iPhone merchandise in an apple store on launch day? Also, I'm going to the 5th ave NYC flagship store, am I just asking for trouble?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,754 Global Posts

I wouldn't get too worried. It'll be a piece of cake getting an iphone friday compared to past launches.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by pb&J View Post
    To piggyback on the original question--I am planning to get an apple store gift certificate for a friend of mine and the only day available for me is Friday, no lie.

Is it easy to get non-iPhone merchandise in an apple store on launch day? Also, I'm going to the 5th ave NYC flagship store, am I just asking for trouble?
    Because of all the excitement and the throngs forming for the iPhone 4S, I'd personally stay away from the Apple stores on Friday if you're after anything but the iPhone. I often wondered about that - can you get a Genius Bar appointment for that day? What about the 1-to-1 training. I'm guessing that the GB is available, but the sheer number of people at the stores could make it fun/interesting/difficult.

I've never been to the NYC 5th Ave store, so I have no idea how it's laid out, but again, I'm guessing that they aren't going to be selling a lot of iPods or Macs on Friday.

Global Posts
    2,286 Global Posts
    iOS Version

With experience, it will be CHAOS! Apple store is completely out of the question unless you'd like to camp out over night. Best Buy is usually cool if you show up a few hours before (I did that with the iPad 2 launch). AT&T is usually packed as well, so get there as early as you can. They also sell out pretty fast! I'm assuming if there is that many stores in one town, its because almost everyone probably has that service. Think how many people probably have iPhones. Just get there early! After they sell out, you won't find any for 2-3 weeks.
    64GB iPhone 6 32GB iPhone 5S 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Expert

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by EmceeGeek View Post
    With experience, it will be CHAOS! Apple store is completely out of the question unless you'd like to camp out over night. Best Buy is usually cool if you show up a few hours before (I did that with the iPad 2 launch). AT&T is usually packed as well, so get there as early as you can. They also sell out pretty fast! I'm assuming if there is that many stores in one town, its because almost everyone probably has that service. Think how many people probably have iPhones. Just get there early! After they sell out, you won't find any for 2-3 weeks.
    Its already been confirmed the carriers stock is going to be through the roof. at&t reps said they're receiving more phones than they ever have and not possible to be sold out on day 1. I've heard numbers in the 20 million units range as far as phones made and being made.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Expert

iOS Version

I will be happy on the sidewalk if I can with a charged up ipod and iphone4 that I'm exchanging and a backup full of goodies, lol.

Josh
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
    Its already been confirmed the carriers stock is going to be through the roof. at&t reps said they're receiving more phones than they ever have and not possible to be sold out on day 1.
    Our stand alone Verizon Stores have also said the same thing, they are going to have a large inventory and if you want an iPhone on launch day, there's no reason to line up hours early. This launch isn't as big as the launch of the iPhone 4 and so many Verizon customers that purchased the iPhone 4 can't upgrade and won't pay retail..

I did just start this thread earlier today though....so it will be interesting to see everyone's experience!

Be sure to let us know.. http://forums.tipb.com/iphone-4s-for...lease-day.html
    Last edited by CalifJewls; 10-12-2011 at 12:20 PM.
    Live, Laugh, Love and then there's...Apple!
    "It Just Works!"
    iPhone 5 32GB | iMac | MacBook Pro | iPad WiFi 32GB | Apple TV 2 | AirPort Extreme
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

This will be my first time going to a store to buy a phone when it's released.

Once it's your turn, will they give you the phone, pay and you can leave? Or will they try and sell you accessories, make sure your plan is correct, etc.

I called the store and asked what it will be like that day and they only really told me they are charging $20 to transfer contacts since it will be so busy. I don't need help doing that.

Hopefully I can get the phone, pay and leave without too much issue.
    iPhone Beginner

I will also be hitting up a local AT&T on friday. I was told by a rep that they plan on getting 4 times the amount they got for the iP4. My local AT&T is inside a mall so people won't be able to line up directly outside. The mall opens at 7:00 and AT&T at 8:00. I will probably be showing up at the mall around 6:50 and if i notice big lines i will be stretching out my hamstrings, lol.
    ghostface147 likes this.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iMore Expert

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by jumpman2033 View Post
    I will also be hitting up a local AT&T on friday. I was told by a rep that they plan on getting 4 times the amount they got for the iP4. My local AT&T is inside a mall so people won't be able to line up directly outside. The mall opens at 7:00 and AT&T at 8:00. I will probably be showing up at the mall around 6:50 and if i notice big lines i will be stretching out my hamstrings, lol.
    Luckily my at&t store I have picked is close to a residential neighborhood so maybe it will be the less busier ones. Another note, our Apple store is a mile or so from the at&t store. Best Buy, Apple, 4 at&t stores, 2 verizon stores, 2 sprint stores are all in a 1 to 1.5 mile radious from each other. I think the lines will be shortened because we have so many options.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,623 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I wouldn't get too worried. It'll be a piece of cake getting an iphone friday compared to past launches.
    The cake is a lie!!!!
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts

Well I have no choice but to go to a Verizon corporate store since I'm using my last every two upgrade on this phone so I have too go there. I hoping they won't sale out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by CalifJewls View Post
    Our stand alone Verizon Stores have also said the same thing, they are going to have a large inventory and if you want an iPhone on launch day, there's no reason to line up hours early. This launch isn't as big as the launch of the iPhone 4 and so many Verizon customers that purchased the iPhone 4 can't upgrade and won't pay retail..

I did just start this thread earlier today though....so it will be interesting to see everyone's experience!

Be sure to let us know.. http://forums.tipb.com/iphone-4s-for...lease-day.html

Posted from a soon to be Iphone 4s
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

I don't know the process for AT&T but I purchased my iPad 1 at my local Apple Store on launch day. Huge line, but they came out about an hour before the store opened and got info from those of us who had reserved one on line and those who had not they gave a ticket. That ticket guaranteed them an iPad (although after the reservations there were not many left!).

Honestly, if I were in your position I would simply pre-order one from Apple. If you did you would have it in your hands on or about October 28th. Not bad at all and certainly more certain than launch day. As someone here already mentioned, with over a million of these pre-sold the demand at carrier stores and at Apple Stores is going to be insane this Friday. Either way, good luck and post back to let us know how it went!
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by davjaxn View Post
    Honestly, if I were in your position I would simply pre-order one from Apple. If you did you would have it in your hands on or about October 28th. Not bad at all and certainly more certain than launch day. As someone here already mentioned, with over a million of these pre-sold the demand at carrier stores and at Apple Stores is going to be insane this Friday. Either way, good luck and post back to let us know how it went!
    Preordering an iPhone 4S just to receive it on October 28th doesn't seem like much of a "preorder"..since you'll actually receive your phone after everyone who walks into their local carrier on October 14th..

Again even with the launch of the iPhone 4 which was huge, most carriers and Apple Stores did NOT sell out on launch day..Im just saying..
    Live, Laugh, Love and then there's...Apple!
    "It Just Works!"
    iPhone 5 32GB | iMac | MacBook Pro | iPad WiFi 32GB | Apple TV 2 | AirPort Extreme