Physically connect to computer?

jenaee

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hello All! I'm new to the iPhone world (former Blackberry user). Here's my question:

When I turn on the iPhone for the 1st time, will I need to hook it up to the computer? I have an iTunes account already. So with the new iCloud, is hooking it up to the computer neccesary?

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
^^This is great news! My computer with my iTunes account on it died a lil while ago and I haven't gotten it back up yet.
I believe that was a key factor in changing the setup for Apple Devices, not everyone has a computer to plug their iPhone, iPad, iPod into...for example my son, in the past he just comes over and syncs his device to our iMac, but he will no longer have to with the awesomeness of iOS5 and iCloud!!

Reactions: jenaee

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
No need for a computer or iTunes. When you start the phone, it asks you a few questions (Apple ID, connect to wifi, iCloud setup, etc).

I am on iOS 5 GM, so that is how I know.

Hope this helps.

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Nope. As everyone above has stated you do not need to sync it to a computer. It is a very easy setup. I have been on the iOS 5 betas since the first one and I can tell you it is remarkably easy. Just enter your Apple ID, or create one for that matter. Then select wifi if you are in range, then you have the option to restore from an iCloud backup or not. Its very streamlined. You'll be up and running in minutes.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello All! I'm new to the iPhone world (former Blackberry user). Here's my question:

When I turn on the iPhone for the 1st time, will I need to hook it up to the computer? I have an iTunes account already. So with the new iCloud, is hooking it up to the computer neccesary?

Yeah, it should be very easy as stated above. All you need to do is sign in and you're ready to go!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You will not need to connect to a computer to activate your new iPhone 4S.

Anything you have previously purchased through iTunes will be in your iCloud and available for download.

However, if you wish to add music, video, or photos (especially photos!) not purchased from iTunes, you will at some point need to sync with a computer, even wirelessly.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I didn't have a PC hooked up on the internet at the time of my last iphone purchase before ios5. at&t rep activated the phones for me so I can have it before i could connected to itunes. Regardless of ios5 or what you can buy a phone and walk out with it working. But now that ios5 is in a few days publicly its even easier. So you have nothing to worry about even if you went and bought i phone4 today on 4.3.5you will still walk out of the store with your phone working.

Josh