Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default How to get iPhone 4S VZW on release day

I was not able to preorder the iPhone 4S, but really want to get on on release day. I'm on Verizon, is there anyway to get one still? Is Lining up at the Verizon store a good idea? The apple store? If so, how early would be a good time? Or am I just going to have to wait awhile? I appreciate any help, thanks so much!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

Go to the store... early You should be fine and be able to get one without a problem! Do you go to your local vzw often? If you visit one location and know the employees they might be able to hold one for you also
    It's better to be pissed off than pissed on

iPhone 5 32gb black/slate . iPad air 64 gb white/silver . iPad mini 16gb 4g black/slate . MacBook Pro 13" . ATV 3rd gen . iPod classic . iPod nano
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

Like 12 am early, or like a couple hours before opening? I don't go often and don't know any of the employees. I will also call and ask the store tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

Anyone else have any experience with this?
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts
    iOS Version

What he said, lol. I wouldn't worry about it. I think they don't have the same stock issues that they had with the original iPhone 4.

Oh the memories. It took me 4 tries lining up at 5:30am outside the Apple store to get my iPhone 4 originally, and that was 3 MONTHS after it was released. Good times lol.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,516 Global Posts

Just show up when the Verizon store opens.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Nanite

Thanks, I don't mind waiting early, I just really want to get it friday!
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    iOS Version

No question is dumb, and waiting is your best bet at this point. Don't overpay for this device to the greedy ones that take advantage of the hype and benefit.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Nanite

I just hope I don't have to wait weeks.
    iPhone Intermediate

I'm in the same boat. I didn't preorder but I'm in southern california and have 4 apple stores somewhat nearby me so I'm going to the least busy one and waiting out. I have a friend that works there and said only 5 people "waited in line" early in the morning for the iPad 2 launch... So I'm not expecting it to be very busy.
    iMore Expert

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by xoxospecialk View Post
    Go to the store... early You should be fine and be able to get one without a problem! Do you go to your local vzw often? If you visit one location and know the employees they might be able to hold one for you also
    Agreed, everybody wanting a Iphone on release day will get one. There is alot of misinformation that pre-orders selling out means all iphones sold out. Sprint,Verizon and AT&T will be overstocked if you will. The carrier reps have already said the only issues on release day is long lines.
    Last edited by MustangLife; 10-10-2011 at 03:46 AM.
    Current White Iphone 4 8GB JB Evasi0n 7.0.4 because of budget reasons
    2011-12 White Iphone 4S 16 GB
    2011 White Iphone4 - 16GB
    2009-2011 Black Iphone 3GS 16 GB
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iPhone Nanite

I have a couple Apple stores near me, but they are always packed. Do you think going to the apple store is a safer bet than the Verizon store?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dementedlikeyou View Post
    I have a couple Apple stores near me, but they are always packed. Do you think going to the apple store is a safer bet than the Verizon store?
    Apple will probably have more stock but more people in line so it will probably be about equal. Probably a day or before the stores will know how much stock they have so you can call ahead. I'd just stick with going early like an hour or 2 before the store opens and just bring a book and/or a coffee so you can be sure to get it.

iPhone 5 32gb black/slate . iPad air 64 gb white/silver . iPad mini 16gb 4g black/slate . MacBook Pro 13" . ATV 3rd gen . iPod classic . iPod nano
    iPhone Intermediate

I was under the impression that it is sold out based on the preorders. So, if I were to somehow come up with the money there is a chance I could get one for my son in-store on launch day? I'm sorry if I sound like a doofus but I really don't know these things, which is why I am asking so many questions
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieMK View Post
    I was under the impression that it is sold out based on the preorders. So, if I were to somehow come up with the money there is a chance I could get one for my son in-store on launch day? I'm sorry if I sound like a doofus but I really don't know these things, which is why I am asking so many questions
    Pre-orders were online, you more than likely won't be able to get one online on the 14th but in store stock is different and you can purchase at a retail location via apple or your provider

Thanked by:
    CarrieMK (10-10-2011)
    iPhone Intermediate

^stock for the in store sales is separate from the pre order sales. They are not sold out completely just with pre orders. Don't worry there will be plenty of stock at the stores. Just get there early like others have said. And if you can find a store that you know doesn't get crowded go there.
    Thanked by:
    CarrieMK (10-10-2011)
    iPhone Intermediate

Thank you for your replies There may be hope for me yet! My son would be stunned if I were to come home with one on Friday Waiting in line would be worth it. I have approached family members to see if they could pitch in and help me get him one. He works so hard and knows things are difficult for us financially right now so he would never ask. He is a great son who will is well on his way to an academic scholarship and I would love to be able to surprise him!
    Crystalftw likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I preordered mine from Target and will pick it up friday after work. You could do that or go to Best Buy and preorder there. You won't have wait in line hoping they won't run out.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    5.0 GM

I think Apple predicted this kind of hype pre-release. I forget the reports and articles that said they expected to sell 10 million iPhone 4S's (it was "iPhone 5" at the time), or something like that. Whatever the case, I think everyone will get their hands on one.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

I would go to your local Verizon Store not a Apple Store...Verizon will have plenty of iPhones on release day..

With the iphone4 pre-orders were sold out even sooner and the stores still had plenty of phones and often no lines at all throughout the day..

I didn't pre-order (because I didn't see a need to)..so I will show up at my Verizon Store whenever they open...I actually called to see what time they opened and the guy said he'd write the order up and have the iPhone4S waiting for me...
    Live, Laugh, Love and then there's...Apple!
    "It Just Works!"
    iPhone 5 32GB | iMac | MacBook Pro | iPad WiFi 32GB | Apple TV 2 | AirPort Extreme
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Living in Central MA makes it somewhat easier for me. I think i'm gonna just go to the most obscure VZW store I can think of. Worked for me when the 3G came out. lol
    iPhone Beginner

I would still make sure that you get to a store early. Also, from my experience, the Apple Store has a LOT more stock than the carriers do right away. The iPhone 4S preorders topped a million within the first 24 hours, making it the quickest selling yet, so I wouldn't say for sure that the same stock issues couldn't occur. At Apple Stores around here a lot of people line up the night before starting around 8pm, some bring tents and camping chairs, etc. The bulk of people seem to arrive more around 3-4 AM and that's when the lines just get insanely long.
    iMore Intermediate

On Verizon launch day I went to the store around 2PM. I had called ahead and they said they had phones and were not that busy. I walked in, bought the phone, and canceled my pre-order. That phone had not even shipped yet even though it was launch day, and I had one of the first pre orders in. I live in a big city, and the store I went to was in the suburbs. Most of the people in the store were not even there for Iphone stuff. The staff was way glad to see me and gave me white glove service.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

The carriers will most likely have their whole staff working on release day, thus not a lot of wait time. I think its crazy to go to the Apple Store to buy any iPhone on release day...I think those that do and camp out all night just do it for the "experience/fun"..kinda like going to the midnight showing of Harry Potter and dressing up or something similar..

There are so many options as to where to purchase an iPhone..Apple Store, Verizon, ATT, Sprint, Best Buy, Walmart....back in the day it was just the Apple Store and ATT stores...things have changed..
    Live, Laugh, Love and then there's...Apple!
    "It Just Works!"
    iPhone 5 32GB | iMac | MacBook Pro | iPad WiFi 32GB | Apple TV 2 | AirPort Extreme
    Premium1 likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Call the store to check on opening time

I would recommend calling the store you will be going to and seeing if they are opening early this Friday. The store in our town will be opening 1 hour earlier than usual.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    19,870 Global Posts

It might take longer at apple, but more than likely they'll have a lot of stock.

Carriers don't get as many as apple. I remember when I got the 3G and was there 4 hours before it opened. They had just gotten a shipment that morning for the white ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current Phones: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS & WebOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast