4S he first iPhone that is marketed by specs?

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I love the 4S. Looking forward to owning one. I find it interesting that the big selling point(s) of the latest iPhone is specs. It is almost like they are looking to capture some of the Android market wo are more traditionally I interested in specs of a device. I guess Apple also did this with the 3GS but I feel that Apple was still feeling their way with iPhone at that time.

Usng the same design but beefing up the insides is an interesting take an a new iPhone. Obviously the big selling factor of the 4 was the design so it's interesting they went with specs to me.

Either way, it's a great and worthy upgrade. I assume thhe iPhone 5 will be radically different and will have a good year of technology in it by the time it is released next year so it should be phenomenal.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
No, they did it with the iPhone 3G and 3GS. It's not the first time.

Yeah I mentioned that in my post. But I also said that at that time I feel like Apple was still feeling it's way with the iPhone. I just find it interesting that st this point in time, with new Android devices debuting what seems kite every week, that Apple went with a (huge) spec bump rather than the flash and wow of a new design. Not bad, just interesting.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
They did the same thing with the 3GS before android phones were even relevant...why is it surprising that they are doing it again in like fashion?

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I think they made several key feature upgrades and are marketing them to the fullest to keep many current iPhone users happy and excited about the new product but didn't bother with a full overhaul because with Sprint they had guarenteed huge sales because it is the first time it is available to those on that network and I think this bought them the extra time to finish working out all the design aspects, 4g and other internal aspects just in time for all the at&t and newer vzw iphone users to be eligible for an upgrade to guarentee high sales with them and of course with the people that are diehards and like to have the newest options out there.

Reactions: spuntz82

kikideath

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they overdid the spec marketing. To some extent of course, by showing that it's a much better iPhone because of how beefed up it got. But, the main focus really seemed to be on how it affects the consumer. They showed how great the camera now is, how quickly you can snap photos, etc. Not to mention to largest portion was dedicated to Siri.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Marketing by specs? You mean in all the advertising right, not in the media event. It's the advertising that defines their marketing direction..

So far I've only seen one ad, and that's the Siri Assistant add. No specs mentioned...

kfreemanii

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The thing about apple is they are very captivating, and they take one idea that is (in my opinion) and grow it. specs vs quailty is the game. but what things can do is starting to take the edge. Siri did it for me which is why i really want an iphone 4s, android has features of talking and responses but it still needs work. changing the playing field is what apple seems to do all the time.

spuntz82

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Bravo to this thread. Really nice read before I go to bed. Thank you guys.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

spuntz82

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I think they made several key feature upgrades and are marketing them to the fullest to keep many current iPhone users happy and excited about the new product but didn't bother with a full overhaul because with Sprint they had guarenteed huge sales because it is the first time it is available to those on that network and I think this bought them the extra time to finish working out all the design aspects, 4g and other internal aspects just in time for all the at&t and newer vzw iphone users to be eligible for an upgrade to guarentee high sales with them and of course with the people that are diehards and like to have the newest options out there.

Bravo!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Are you referring to external design or internal changes?

I was referring to the design mostly. The internal changes are inevitable every generation, while the design isn't as easy to pin down. But after the iPhone 4S we might have a better idea about Apple's patterns. And I agree completely that Apple knew the Sprint launch was going to be huge anyways, so they will wait till the iPhone 5 to blow everyone out of the water again. Like they did with iPhone 4.
I am left wondering when the next launch will be. Things used to be simple with the June releases. Adding carriers has thrown that out of whack, in my opinion.

Farmdreads

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site

I totally agree with your post, but what I DON'T agree with is your ridiculously long run-on sentence! For the love of Jobs, use some punctuation, man!!!

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree with your post, but what I DON'T agree with is your ridiculously long run-on sentence! For the love of Jobs, use some punctuation, man!!!

LMAO this is a forum not english 101 anything with importance I have can and do use proper spelling/grammar/punctuation for randoms on the internet talking about a phone I really could care less about the above mentioned things maybe you should consider finding a hobby or something other than trolling the internet for other's grammar and punctuation.... and yes I meant to write this ridiculously long run-on sentence!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I really don't think they were marketing the specs at all...

They aren't just touting 8-megapixel, they are touting the improved optics, in detail. They aren't touting the processor speed, they are touting the 2x improvement over last gen. They aren't touting the RAM or GPU, they are touting the 7x graphics improvement over last gen...

How are they marketing specs? They aren't marketing specs any more than they were last year...

Reactions: simplylaurakb

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro