Getting the iPhone 4S in the UK

AdamRoxby

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hello all

I live in the UK and my contract is up (I'm with Vodafone) and I'm wondering what the best option is for me getting a 4S. As I see it, here are the options.

1) I could try and get some money for my old 3GS and then just goto Apple and pay the ?600 odd for the phone outright, I could even sell my digital camera which has been surpassed by the new iPhone.

2) Select one of the 2 year contracts with a carrier and spend the majority of the time grumbling because I would be given poor minutes/text/data allowance.

3) I could try my luck on an online auction site but that could be a bit risky and see my paying some crazy prizes.

What do you think I should do, cheers

David_LFC

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Im with 3 after being with o2 for a number of years. Network is great (i'm in the northwest)miles better than o2 and you get true unlimited data including tethering for ?35 per month + 5000 mins and 5000 texts.

Think if you do the sums though the difference between an unlocked phone and sim only deal and a 2 year contract with small upfront are quite similar on three:

If you do go with contract don't forget quidco with 3 you get a ?109 cashback on any iphone one plan and its normally paid after 3 months!

only bad point with 4 is outsourced indian call centres, however how ofter do you speak to them and in most instances they have resolved my issue after repeating it a couple of times.

Be good to see what understands my accent better Siri or offshore call centres!

Last edited:

AdamRoxby

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I have just had a load of emails from every carrier wanting to offer me a contract. I will contact 3 and see what they have to say.

I know what you mean about the call centres. I have a very middle class british accent (probably from years of using dictation software) . I wonder more about who would have the guts to use Siri on the bus. Might make you look a little mad perhaps.

Cheers for your advice.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have just had a load of emails from every carrier wanting to offer me a contract. I will contact 3 and see what they have to say.

I know what you mean about the call centres. I have a very middle class british accent (probably from years of using dictation software) . I wonder more about who would have the guts to use Siri on the bus. Might make you look a little mad perhaps.

Cheers for your advice.

Why don't you just buy an unlocked version from Apple in November?

Crisdean

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Have you got a current iPhone tarriff? The guys usually can give you a damn good deal. If not the?36/month 18 months contract looks good to me. Unfortunately 500MB 3G allowance.

AdamRoxby

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Well I brogut my 3GS outright back in the day. That was around ?550 then just got a good SIM only deal.

I will try calling Vodafone and see what they say. I remember when I was researching the 3GS that they were quite restricted by Apple in what they could offer people. I can't see that being much different.

I'll soon find out.

Conan Kudo

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you just buy an unlocked version from Apple in November?

The United States is the only market that has to wait for the SIM-free model. The UK market offers it right now for pre-order.

Honestly, I would recommend buying the unlocked model. The 16GB one is ?500, the 32GB one is ?600, and the 64GB one is ?700.

David_LFC

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Whilst I agree unlocked is a good way to go, however if you dont mind being tied in and havent got the money up front, there not much in it and in fact its cheaper over the 24 months to take the ties in.

The example below is on Three but I expect its similar for all other providers I checked 02 and their sim only is 26 per month for only 500mb

Unloncked 24 Month Contract
Phone 599 Phone 189
monthly Contract 25 monthly Contract 35
2 year cost 600 2 year cost 840
Quidco Cashback -109
Total 1199 Total 920

Example Based on Three with the following:
5000 Mins
5000 Texts
Inlimited Data

Reactions: AdamRoxby

AdamRoxby

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi David

Thanks for doing this. I will need to do a bit of recalculating because I would go for th 64gb (for that HD recording). I brought something from Quidco a month ago and it is still being 'tracked' and hasn't been credited to me yet. I'm not sure how long it should take but there you go.

Thanks once again

David_LFC

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Here the sums for 64gb on Three

Unlocked
Phone
Contract p/month
2 year cost
Total

Contract
Phone
Contract p/month
2 year cost
Total
+ You get the 109 Cashback from Quidco

I have been using Quidco for the last 3 years and have received between 200 - 500 cashback per year for items i was going to purchase anyway. I find normal payment is approx 90 days. I never rely on it for a certain date so its a nice bonuswhen the account is credited. As long as its tracked after purchasing your fine.

I got my iphone 4 in Feb, via 3 and quidco, got my payment about June.

AdamRoxby

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow, so the total on contract with the Cashback is ?1154. I was always told that getting phones with a contract was foolish but clearly not.

Once I get my cash upfront i'll be making the jump to 3.

Thanks for helping me to make the best decision.

David_LFC

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Its 1154 and then you get the cashback on top, I took it out as you where concerned about payment, so just under 1050!!

If your tied into a contract and have to pay to get out unlocked would be the way i suppose. only other benefit your not commited.

I know you used to be able to get a ?15 month 02 sim only deal which again would bring the cost down, however looking at the 02 website to get any reasonable amount of data and calls your looking at 25-20.

Before making the jump you may want to check any frends who have 3 for signal in your area, it's fine for me in the NorthWest (far better and faster than o2 or my wifes Orange) and I travel to London, MiltonKeynes, Glasgow Bradford with work and again no problems.

Slight error in my calcs above, (i included the extra month in the total rather than just the two year cost.

Unlocked
699 Phone
25 Contract p/month
600 2 year cost
1299 Total

Contract
279 Phone
35 Contract p/month
840 2 year cost
1119 Total

(+109 cashback with Quidco)

Last edited:

AdamRoxby

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
It does sound compelling, however I have spoken to two people down here and neither of them had a good thing to say about 3. I do that 2 people don't make a focus group but I do want someone to give me another positive account because I have kinda set my sights on it.

Next stage I think is to have a look at some cases ...

David_LFC

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
When where they on 3.

i used to be with them years ago had a motorolla a1000 smart phone! Check that out on Google for a touch screen phone, and the network was Crap and the internet was a 'walled garden' and limited to bbc and a few select sites!

However I gave them a chance again in March and have had no problems and have a iphone plan + a 3g Ipad 2.

You'll get similar price deals with all the networks you just wont get the same amout of minutes, calls or data. Quido will also prob have deals for other providers as well

From my experiance they are better than o2, (my original iphone) and Orange (wife has an android)

Any other people from the UK on 3 here able to comment?

You can also put your postcode on there site and they will advise of the coverage you can expect.

Last edited:

AdamRoxby

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Well I have put a poll on my Facebook page trying to get my fiends to give their thoughts but nothing as yet.

3 has so much better text/minutes/data on their plan for around the same monthly cost than the others that it would take something like a deluge of negative comments form people to stop me from trying it.

I too would be interested to head what people on this forum think of 3.

Cheers

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2