Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Default Anyone pre-order through Best Buy?

I decided to pre-order through Best Buy because I have some gift cards I wanted to use. You have to go to the actual store to pre-order. To my surprise everyone that pre-ordered received a $50 gift card. I don't think they advertised that at all. Just wanted to give a heads up.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    534 Global Posts

Man that sounds amazing is a good cover or two lol
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

You are forced to buy the $50 gift card in order to preorder. I preordered 2 Sprint iPhones and I had to purchase 2 $50 gift cards.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    653 Global Posts

Best Buy giving you a $50 gift card basically covers the extra tax they charge you then if you bought it through your carrier because they charge you tax on the full price not the 199-399 you're actually paying for it
    Last edited by xoxospecialk; 10-09-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyvt1 View Post
    I decided to pre-order through Best Buy because I have some gift cards I wanted to use. You have to go to the actual store to pre-order. To my surprise everyone that pre-ordered received a $50 gift card. I don't think they advertised that at all. Just wanted to give a heads up.
    Why wouldn't they give you back Best buy gift cards, haha they buy stuff from their store anyway so they're making money.
    Or if you had to buy them, they know that iPhone's are in high demand and they think they can make a quick buck buy adding 50 dollars to get you're iPhone.

Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I got mine from sprint.com and used mr rebates so I got a $50 rebate. Forget a gift card.
    64GB iPhone 6 32GB iPhone 5S 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,180 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by xoxospecialk View Post
    Best Buy giving you a $50 gift card basically covers the extra tax they charge you the if you bought it through your carrier because they charge you tax on the full price not the 199-399 you're actually paying for it
    That depends on your state tax laws. CA and one New England state does that, the rest do not. Those states charge tax based on original price of products before discounts I have bought a couple phone there and am only charged the tax on the purchase price.
    iPhone Intermediate

I never even thought of bestbuy even though I'm a silver rewards member. I think I'll be waiting outside my local Apple store to pickup mine though. This'll be my first launch event. Heard they are pretty fun at apple stores.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freiteez View Post
    I never even thought of bestbuy even though I'm a silver rewards member. I think I'll be waiting outside my local Apple store to pickup mine though. This'll be my first launch event. Heard they are pretty fun at apple stores.
    Definitely one of the funnest experiences I've ever had... OG iPhone launch was easily the funniest day I've had in a LONG time haha... take a jacket though, I ended up having to drive 15+ miles home to get a jacket...
    iMore Nanite

I preordered through Best Buy last year for the iPhone 4. I went in the store the day preorders started and purchased the $50 gift card which is basically a deposit and reservation for the phone. Best Buy then called me the day before release and asked me what time I wanted to come in the following day to pick up my phone. The reason my store set up "appointments" was to keep the process smooth and less hectic. I went in the store on release day and used the gift card I purchased towards the price of the phone and walked out 10 minutes later. It was a pretty hassle-free experience, in my opinion.
    iPhone Newbie

Oh thats awesome! But I think they just do that to cover taxes. But either way thx for sharing your knowledge with us!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    663 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5

Yeah, I did the same. Just know that the day you pick up the phone you will pay the full price you would have, that 50 you put down when you pre-ordered is on the gift card. You can choose to use that for the phone or you could buy something else.

Basically, you haven't paid anything for the phone yet. You have no money down on it.
    www.iHoov.wordpress.com
    Check out all my iPhone wallpapers here and my iPad wallpapers here.
    32gb iPhone 4S (Sprint), 32gb iPad (3rd Gen), Apple TV 2

If I helped you or you like your wallpapers, please don't forget the "Thanks" button. It lets others know they can come for help too!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Just got back from Best Buy.
    now they couldn't guarantee that i would receive my phone on friday but if i get there early enough i can.
    but said i was only 1 of a few that ordered the 64gb black. so hopefully it works out.
    my store(both best buy mobile and best buy retail said that it's first come first serve but will be for sure getting one before the 31st.)

yes i had to purchase a down payment plan for the phone(50$ gift card)

luckily i work until 7am and then the store opens at 8. happy hunting for your phones.
    AT&T White 64Gb 5-Unlimited Data
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    653 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
    That depends on your state tax laws. CA and one New England state does that, the rest do not. Those states charge tax based on original price of products before discounts I have bought a couple phone there and am only charged the tax on the purchase price.
    I live in Las Vegas and I'm on Sprint, I was charged tax on the amount I paid on not the amount the phone sell for at retail.
    It's better to be pissed off than pissed on

iPhone 6 64gb space grey . iPad air 64gb LTE silver . iPad mini 16gb LTE black/slate . MacBook Pro 13" . ATV 3rd gen . iPod classic . iPod nano
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ballerx44 View Post
    Definitely one of the funnest experiences I've ever had... OG iPhone launch was easily the funniest day I've had in a LONG time haha... take a jacket though, I ended up having to drive 15+ miles home to get a jacket...
    Please explain what happens at the launch event? I am interested.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Why would you guys order your iPhone from best buy? In my experience with all electronics, they are the least knowledgeable and their prices are not competitive. You would be better off ordering from the carrier or apple itself.
    Also regarding accessories, when I was looking for ipad accessories, they had less of a selection than even Verizon. For example, right before hurricane Lorraine here in the NYC area, I was searching for a battery backup for my iPad and itouch and they had nothing. I browsed their other accessories at that point and they were very limited.
    Apple was out of stock of backups for the i products and they recommended blackstones. I picked up a cool backup there for my iPad. Touch backup at verizon.
    Last edited by ekneeiphone; 10-10-2011 at 06:49 AM.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,181 Global Posts

Some people get them at Best Buy because they want to do the trade in program or maybe they have gift cards to use.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,515 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
    I preordered through Best Buy last year for the iPhone 4. I went in the store the day preorders started and purchased the $50 gift card which is basically a deposit and reservation for the phone. Best Buy then called me the day before release and asked me what time I wanted to come in the following day to pick up my phone. The reason my store set up "appointments" was to keep the process smooth and less hectic. I went in the store on release day and used the gift card I purchased towards the price of the phone and walked out 10 minutes later. It was a pretty hassle-free experience, in my opinion.
    Same here, getting the iPhone 4 at Best Buy last year was the best iPhone buying experience yet. The appointment thing to come in and pick up was crucial; no lines or waiting if the sales people had customers because they were waiting for me.
    Thanked by:
    Helicopter (10-10-2011)
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ekneeiphone View Post
    Why would you guys order your iPhone from best buy? In my experience with all electronics, they are the least knowledgeable and their prices are not competitive. You would be better off ordering from the carrier or apple itself.
    Also regarding accessories, when I was looking for ipad accessories, they had less of a selection than even Verizon. For example, right before hurricane Lorraine here in the NYC area, I was searching for a battery backup for my iPad and itouch and they had nothing. I browsed their other accessories at that point and they were very limited.
    Apple was out of stock of backups for the i products and they recommended blackstones. I picked up a cool backup there for my iPad. Touch backup at verizon.
    Umm... because I have a large gift card that could cover a few iphones.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Umm... because I have a large gift card that could cover a few iphones.
    Cool! Lucky you!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

As for me. I will be selling my charge back to them. Which I purchased for $199 as opposed to the $299 Verizon wanted me to pay. Oh yeah they are paying me $350 for the charge. I will only ever buy phones from best buy.

Count
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts

I ended up pre-ordering mine at Best Buy also. I gave it a shot last year and it was painless, I was in and out within 10 mins. I will admit I enjoy the lines at the Apple store and all the Apple fans. It's a great experience just to be around others who take exceiment in what you love. This year I gave Best Buy a shot again because I have something to do Friday and dont have the luxury to stand in lines all day, and I wouldnt be home to have it shipped to me. I got my call from my Best Buy store telling me I was the 1st pre-order and I can come in at 8am and pick up my 4S Oct 14.
    Sports Dad

iPhone 5 32GB At&t
    iPad2 white 16GB
    Macbook Pro
    Apple TV 2nd generation
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Just got the call from BB and they asked what time I wanted to come in a pick up my phones. I Pre-ordered a 16GB in white (wife's phone) and a 64 Gb back (mine). They had called about the 64 only and when i told them i had the 16 pre ordered also they said that I had to wait for that call to set up the appointment. If I get the call the can do both at the same time. I dont understand how one can be ready and the other not
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Yes I haven't received a call yet either. 64gb AT&T black
    Apparently no best buy in the country received any 64gb iPhones last week

Hopefully tomorrow.
    But according to them everyone will get it by the 31st if not I'm demanding more than a refund for my gift card
    I have preordered stuff before and have always had good experiences with them
    AT&T White 64Gb 5-Unlimited Data
    iMore Expert

We can also get no interest for 6 or 18 months with their credit card, get reward points and in my experience the lines on launch days at the best buy stores are not that long
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast