Slow sales????

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I recall with past launches, if you didnt preorder your iphone a few hours after launch, your delivery was pushed back a few weeks.

I also recall hearing how Apple had an issue with suppliers, and with the slow economy, they were going to have smaller quantities available.

Because of this, I got up early this morning and placed my order.

Well, now, at 6pm est. (15 hours past launch), I just checked the Apple site. All models from all carriers, will still deliver by the 14th

As a stock holder, I am always looking for little clues. I wonder if this means anything? Has the demand slowed? Did Apple beef up the supply? Was Apple playing games with supply and demand on the past launches?

thoughts?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think the demand wasn't as high as with previous models because most that have an i4(which is pretty many) don't feel they need to upgrade. I mean I am sure they will still sell a lot of the 4s just won't be as hard to get a hold of one like with previous launches IMO.

mike5

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from the Palm Pre and want the 4S, but I also want to see the Nexus Prime--whose debut just got delayed out of respect...don't know if others are waiting.

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it'd be silly and a bad business move of them to give first priority to people who did not preorder and just turned up on release day. They probably have 2 separate holds of stock - one for in-store and for online and pre-ordering.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from the Palm Pre and want the 4S, but I also want to see the Nexus Prime--whose debut just got delayed out of respect...don't know if others are waiting.

I am also waiting to see how the prime turns out. I know some of my friends ordered later in the day today and already got a tracking # and that their phone is being shipped. Atleast doesn't look like there will be any shortages this time around.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Prime looks great but I have had enough of Android. There is only OS I continually go back to and that is iOS. And as another member said, I think a good amount of people are sticking with the iP4. I know about 14 people in my "circle" who have the IP4 and when I asked them what their plans were when it came to upgrade, only 2 of them were springing for the iP4S. The rest are waiting until next year. I really think that that attitude is going to be the same with a very large group. I am a nut and have the luxury of being able to buy each generation, I know some are not and some can but choose not to..

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Apple made alot more Iphone4S's than any other release. There goal was to not sell out quick because they knew any phone they make is gonna sell. Probaly 1 of the reasons for a post July release. Already spoke to a at&t rep that basically said they will be overstocked if you will. Everybody wanting a phone whether pre-order or not will get 1. He was sure of himself when he said that. Sales are also to be mroe than Iphone4 especially with Sprint having it now. Don't worry its a good time to have Apple stock.

Josh

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
The demand is no where near what it was for the i4.

I agree. It's really not. Sites all over reported customers underwhelmed with the announcement. It's going to be an awesome device and a nice boost from the i4P but like I said, most are very happy with their current 4's.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Apple made alot more Iphone4S's than any other release. There goal was to not sell out quick because they knew any phone they make is gonna sell. Probaly 1 of the reasons for a post July release. Already spoke to a at&t rep that basically said they will be overstocked if you will. Everybody wanting a phone whether pre-order or not will get 1. He was sure of himself when he said that. Sales are also to be mroe than Iphone4 especially with Sprint having it now. Don't worry its a good time to have Apple stock.

Josh

Idk if it will sell more than the i4 I mean the amount of demand for that was crazy and even not having sprint it was still selling great a year later. The 4s will sell well but it wont be like how the 4 was.

mike5

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Prime looks great but I have had enough of Android. There is only OS I continually go back to and that is iOS. And as another member said, I think a good amount of people are sticking with the iP4. I know about 14 people in my "circle" who have the IP4 and when I asked them what their plans were when it came to upgrade, only 2 of them were springing for the iP4S. The rest are waiting until next year. I really think that that attitude is going to be the same with a very large group. I am a nut and have the luxury of being able to buy each generation, I know some are not and some can but choose not to..

I tested the EVO for 30 days last December and generally feel the same as you on the Android OS--I didn't like it. Prime is supposed to ship w/their newest version OS, but I may feel exactly the same.

I am ready for the iPhone and am over the disappointment of HP killing off the Pre and Apple not going to 3.7-4" but I am for competition so I will wait if they (Google/Samsung) don't take too long. Hard to be patient. Though I wanted a bigger screen, my feeling is 4.65" is probably too large.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I recall with past launches, if you didnt preorder your iphone a few hours after launch, your delivery was pushed back a few weeks.

I also recall hearing how Apple had an issue with suppliers, and with the slow economy, they were going to have smaller quantities available.

Because of this, I got up early this morning and placed my order.

Well, now, at 6pm est. (15 hours past launch), I just checked the Apple site. All models from all carriers, will still deliver by the 14th

As a stock holder, I am always looking for little clues. I wonder if this means anything? Has the demand slowed? Did Apple beef up the supply? Was Apple playing games with supply and demand on the past launches?

thoughts?

You have to remeber Sprint ordered 25 Million iPhone's. and whoever got an iPhone 4 is stuck on a 2 year agreement, so they can get the next iPhone 5.

Chex313

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
The factories didn't need much retooling..if any for the case the internals are easier to swap, but even with that they must have ramped up production to be able to supply all the carriers in all the countries at launch. Demand may be less in the US but they are gonna ship a ton of these world wide in 4th quarter.

Last year I ordered at 2:30PM on the first day on Att site and still got it a day before it was supposed to out.

Wife and I need bigger screens for our 50 year old eyes, but if the Galaxy S2 doesn't do it for us we can fall back on our iPhones.

Till next year and hopefully bigger screens...cause I love everything else iOS

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Incorrect. iPhone 4 launched with only one carrier for June 24th 2010

yes launched but it wasnt on only 1 carrier all year. It launched worldwide and then came to verizon. I was talking all year it doesnt really matter what it launches on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox