Nightmare - Upgrading from iP4 to iP4s on AT&T

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
How to start this off, this year is a little different than the past few. This time I NEED to get a new phone, my warranty is expired on my iPhone 4 (since June 24, 2011 - one year after I purchased it), my home button doesnt work and the ear speaker is so quiet I have to use the phone with a headset or speaker phone to hear anything. Obviously Apple isn't going to do anything to fix/replace my current iP4, so I figured why not and upgrade to the newest one like I have since the original iPhone. Only this time I wasn't planning on it because I feel this is a similar upgrade like the 3g/3gs I wasted money on. So I thought it would be as painless as it was last year, and the year before, and the year before that. Just order the newest iPhone, expecting the subsidized price, and be done with it.

After looking on AT&T's site, Apple's site and calling into AT&T, I am not elegble for an upgrade until February 2012. And if I want to upgrade early, they add a $250 fee ontop of the subsidized iPhone 4s prices, making them $449, $549 and $649. You are out of your mind if you want me to spend $550 or $650 on a phone when we pay over $500/month to AT&T for our 4 lines. We have been with AT&T for a very long time when I say long I remember it switching from CDMA AT&T to GSM AT&T, to Cingular and back to AT&T, thats how long, years prior to iPhone. Anyway, its silly for me to pay $550 for the danm 4s when its cheaper for me to cancel my contract ($175) and move to Verizon or Sprint and pay for the phone ($299 or $399), and not to mention WAY better cell coverage. I already spoke to both Sprint and Verizon and they will waive the activation fee because I am coming over from AT&T.

So what should I do, wait it out and see what AT&T does when the iPhone 4s is actually released? Kinda hard to wait when my home button does not work, it makes the phone useless. Do you think they will allow us who purchased the iPHone 4 day of release to upgrade to the 4s under the subsidized pricing like they have the past 4 years?

I am kinda shocked this is how they treat a very long-time customer that spends over $6,000 a year.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
How to start this off, this year is a little different than the past few. This time I NEED to get a new phone, my warranty is expired on my iPhone 4 (since June 24, 2011 - one year after I purchased it), my home button doesnt work and the ear speaker is so quiet I have to use the phone with a headset or speaker phone to hear anything. Obviously Apple isn't going to do anything to fix/replace my current iP4, so I figured why not and upgrade to the newest one like I have since the original iPhone. Only this time I wasn't planning on it because I feel this is a similar upgrade like the 3g/3gs I wasted money on. So I thought it would be as painless as it was last year, and the year before, and the year before that. Just order the newest iPhone, expecting the subsidized price, and be done with it.

After looking on AT&T's site, Apple's site and calling into AT&T, I am not elegble for an upgrade until February 2012. And if I want to upgrade early, they add a $250 fee ontop of the subsidized iPhone 4s prices, making them $449, $549 and $649. You are out of your mind if you want me to spend $550 or $650 on a phone when we pay over $500/month to AT&T for our 4 lines. We have been with AT&T for a very long time when I say long I remember it switching from CDMA AT&T to GSM AT&T, to Cingular and back to AT&T, thats how long, years prior to iPhone. Anyway, its silly for me to pay $550 for the danm 4s when its cheaper for me to cancel my contract ($175) and move to Verizon or Sprint and pay for the phone ($299 or $399), and not to mention WAY better cell coverage. I already spoke to both Sprint and Verizon and they will waive the activation fee because I am coming over from AT&T.

So what should I do, wait it out and see what AT&T does when the iPhone 4s is actually released? Kinda hard to wait when my home button does not work, it makes the phone useless. Do you think they will allow us who purchased the iPHone 4 day of release to upgrade to the 4s under the subsidized pricing like they have the past 4 years?

I am kinda shocked this is how they treat a very long-time customer that spends over $6,000 a year.

Well, if you switch over from AT&T to Sprint or Verizon you will save money and also you will get dependable coverage (verizon) or unlimited data (sprint) plus you get a free upgrade to get you're iphone right away :)

Jonmartin

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I can't switch to Sprint or Verizon so easy because I have unlimited data with AT&T and my AT&T coverage is just as good if not better then the other two carriers in LA (I've tried them all) also I like to talk and surf the web on my phone often and I don't think I'll enjoy giving that ability up for any reason.

I guess I'm just not going to get a 4S because well its just not that hot of an upgrade to go through all their BS I hope AT&T loses alot of customers over this and has a giant stock pile of iPhones they can't sell that will teach em.

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Its not a matter of having the 'latest and greatest' phone as much as it is having a phone that functions properly. With that said, I believe this is another 'punishment' for being grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. Here is why I think that. A close friend of mine purchased his iP4 the same day I did (June 24, 2010), only difference is he was not able to get the unlimited data plan and is on a tiered data plan. I called him earlier and told him to call AT&T and see what his price for the new iP4s would be, low and behold he is eligible for the subsidized prices for the iP4s. He has only been with AT&T since June 24, 2010 and he is eligible for the $199, $299, $399 prices but I am not? Whats up AT&T, don't deny me, a LONG TIME customer of a special price but give a 1 year old customer special treatment.

go88mph

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
If Sprint has good coverage in your area, make the switch. Your bill would have to be less than $500/mo for 4 phones unless you have hotspot on each. I have had Sprint for a few years now and the service has been very nice and the coverage is just as good as Verizon (for me anyway). I can't wait to try out the 4s on Sprint.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Obviously Apple isn't going to do anything to fix/replace my current iP4
I wouldn't count this out, Apple is known for generosity. Just go to a genius bar explain your situation. Be kind and courteous. You may come out of it with a new iP4.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't count this out, Apple is known for generosity. Just go to a genius bar explain your situation. Be kind and courteous. You may come out of it with a new iP4.

I would try this as well. You won't get a 4S but I have seen that Apple has sold people a replacement at the subsidized price when they are out of warranty and have a broken phone. They might even just replace it anyway.

Otherwise, it's up to you and how bad you want the 4S. AT&T's policies are their policies that's just the way it goes. Tell them you want to cancel since they will not deal and see what they say then.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Why are you shocked? AT&T isn't exactly known for their great treatment of their customers...but in this case, they haven't exactly done anything to be "in the wrong" to where someone should take offense of it, they are charging you the "early upgrade fee", at least they are offering it to you, some of the places (IE: Sprint) eliminated people's ability to even do that, so they are either upgrade eligible or they pay the full retail price, which is even more than the EUP.

As far as your issues with your iPhone 4...have you tried to go to the Apple store now to see if they'll replace it? They are regularly known for doing this kind of thing even when phones are out of warranty, especially when its a common and known issue like your home button thing.

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I did not take my phone to the apple store yet, I will when I get some time but I didn't want to waste my time going there when my warranty has been expired for a few months now. Like I said, at this point I just want a phone that works as it should. Obviously I do want the 4s, but I can wait if I have a working phone now.

I will make an appointment at the Apple store on my next day off, and hopefully they can help me out. But if they want me to buy a replacement iP4, I will just bite the bullet and upgrade to the 4S or switch to Verizon/Sprint and go with the iP4s.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711