Applecare+ vs insurance

mysimba97

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
How does Applecare+ compare to insurance companies like Asurion, Square Trade and Worth Ave? Tried a search for this question in the forum, but found nothing...

KCook3

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I believe applecare also give you 2 years of phone tech support as part of the cost.

I have taken my old Iphone 3gs to the apple store once and they had it fixed in a few mins!! I paid with cash so having the cost upfront saves me in monthly cost's.

KC

The Rulah

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I was also debating this question. In my research I found the Applecare+ will cover damage on 2 instances ($49 fee). Very similar to the carrier insurance option. Although Applecare+ will come out to be less over a period of 2 years versus the carrier options - but I have not seen anything about it covering a lost or stolen device.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If i were to buy some kind of warranty like this...and the costs were relatively the same, i'd definitely stick with the Apple offered plan, since Apple's customer service is almost always top notch, i'd rather deal with them than a 3rd party insurance plan, given how many horror stories i have experienced/read about/heard about concerning them.

KCook3

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I was also debating this question. In my research I found the Applecare+ will cover damage on 2 instances ($49 fee). Very similar to the carrier insurance option. Although Applecare+ will come out to be less over a period of 2 years versus the carrier options - but I have not seen anything about it covering a lost or stolen device.

You have to take a phone in for applecare and applecare+.

KC

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
If i were to buy some kind of warranty like this...and the costs were relatively the same, i'd definitely stick with the Apple offered plan, since Apple's customer service is almost always top notch, i'd rather deal with them than a 3rd party insurance plan, given how many horror stories i have experienced/read about/heard about concerning them.

Yep, a nobrainer. But it makes you wonder why we get 20 threads an hour asking this.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yep, a nobrainer. But it makes you wonder why we get 20 threads an hour asking this.

Well...my only guess is that there is a massive influx of people who have never owned an Apple product before, and in that, have never experienced Apple's customer service, so i can imagine a lot of them are just going off all they've ever known (IE: these 3rd party warranties).

If they only knew how much of a joke those 3rd party insurance/warranty plans are vs. the Apple Care Plans.

Reactions: mysimba97

dougmcarthur

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
i'm with you on that one - I went to the apple store sans warranty and it would cost me $225 to get the volume button fixed on my 3GS. Basically, I have to buy a new phone. Forget that, I'm gonna get a 4S when my contract is up and DEFINITELY buy the Applecare+ warranty (so long as it's the same in Canada).

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

The (+) version of AppleCare which covers the 2 instances of repairs is around $30, (over 2 years). The 3rd party insurance plan such as Asurion covers lost or stolen devices as well as damaged devices and I don't know if there is a 2 incident limit. However, according to Verizon, it will cost $10 a month. $120 a year, or $240 over 2 years.

If you have a Verizon plan, you can add the insurance on by going into a Verizon store even if you purchased the phone from Apple (online or store).

Is it correct that you can only obtain AppleCare+ by ordering it at the same time as the phone and only by doing so on Applestore onlime or Apple retail store?

Enforcer#IM

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
The (+) version of AppleCare which covers the 2 instances of repairs is around $30, (over 2 years). The 3rd party insurance plan such as Asurion covers lost or stolen devices as well as damaged devices and I don't know if there is a 2 incident limit. However, according to Verizon, it will cost $10 a month. $120 a year, or $240 over 2 years.

If you have a Verizon plan, you can add the insurance on by going into a Verizon store even if you purchased the phone from Apple (online or store).

Is it correct that you can only obtain AppleCare+ by ordering it at the same time as the phone and only by doing so on Applestore onlime or Apple retail store?
That is what I was told by AT&T and checking apple site it states the same thing. If you want Apple Care + you have to have the plan on receipt of you purchase of the physical phone. Below is quote from apple store.

Important notes

AppleCare+ must be purchased together with new covered equipment. See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Asurion through AT&T for me. Covers everything, including lost/stolen. They never get lost/stolen, but one day, you never know. Even if it cost more to keep the plan on, I rather pay a deductible than $800 to buy outright.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't see much point in insurance, when it costs $99 and comes with a $49 deductible. I'm only spending $199 on the phone. I know that it costs a lot more out of contract, but I still have an upgrade available on my family plan, and in a few months I'll have another, and another one after that. Hell, I'll risk $50 to get a replacement, or just get an iPhone 4 for $99 and pocket $50, rather than risk throwing $99 away. I'm sure to get next year's model, anyway.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm very careful with my phones and while I used to purchase insurance for my phones once sprint raised it to $8 a month and $100 deductable I got rid of it and have been fine. I will say on Sprint it didn't even give me the option to add their insurance, only to add applecare so I wonder if they won't be covering iPhones in house...

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234