Applecare+ vs insurance

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Asurion through AT&T for me. Covers everything, including lost/stolen. They never get lost/stolen, but one day, you never know. Even if it cost more to keep the plan on, I rather pay a deductible than $800 to buy outright.

Same here. I've never had a problem with using Asurion in the past so I was glad to see that they would now be insuring the iPhones. I thought about Apple Care+, but the fact that it doesn't cover lost/stolen makes me think that I'd be better off with Asurion for my iPhone 4S. A guy at work had his iPhone stolen and had to pay full retail for another one. I'd like to think that's never going to happen to me but like you said, you never know.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I did end up going with AppleCare+. The way I looked at it was for one broke phone over one year is $150.(I'm likely to upgrade after a year). Where as with Asurion it's about $300. Asurion is certainly not the market leader in customer satisfaction by any stretch of the imagination either. I'm not prone to losing phones so that would be a very rare exception and not one that overly worries me. My wife has the BB insurance on hers. A bit more than Asurion but $0 deductible. You just have to pick the one that fits your needs and comfort level the best.

One thing to keep in mind is that most often if your phone is stolen it's out of your car which you can file on you car insurance. That could give you some comfort in going with AppleCare+. Of course whether that is good or not depends on the kind of deductible you have. If you can't tell I hate big deductibles, mine is at $150 for my car.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Same here. I've never had a problem with using Asurion in the past so I was glad to see that they would now be insuring the iPhones. I thought about Apple Care+, but the fact that it doesn't cover lost/stolen makes me think that I'd be better off with Asurion for my iPhone 4S. A guy at work had his iPhone stolen and had to pay full retail for another one. I'd like to think that's never going to happen to me but like you said, you never know.
Yup... I rather pay the monthly charge and never use it than to not have it and need it.

kfreemanii

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
applecare+ plus is very cheaper hands down. i have asurion is too expensive. just make sure you have a more than a sturdy and worthy case.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
How does Applecare+ compare to insurance companies like Asurion, Square Trade and Worth Ave? Tried a search for this question in the forum, but found nothing...

First of all Applecare is not insurance, just an extended warranty, secondly I'd check with your homeowners/renters insurance and insure it for full retail, plus case, screen protector etc with tax.... had to use it twice unfortunately AND it's like 50-75 bucks a year NO DEDUCTIBLE.... the ins with ATT is ridiculously priced

12.99/13.99 a month if you never use it... for the 2 year term that's $156/$168 a year... plus the deductible of $100... WTF ... that't $300-$330 plus dollars in a two year contract over the course of 24 mo.... vs $50-75 no deductible... plus you're get a brand new phone, not a remanned one...

Some food for thought

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
First of all Applecare is not insurance, just an extended warranty, secondly I'd check with your homeowners/renters insurance and insure it for full retail, plus case, screen protector etc with tax.... had to use it twice unfortunately AND it's like 50-75 bucks a year NO DEDUCTIBLE.... the ins with ATT is ridiculously priced

12.99/13.99 a month if you never use it... for the 2 year term that's $156/$168 a year... plus the deductible of $100... WTF ... that't $300-$330 plus dollars in a two year contract over the course of 24 mo.... vs $50-75 no deductible... plus you're get a brand new phone, not a remanned one...

Some food for thought

Are you sure Applecare+ is a new phone? I would be very surprised that they won't be giving out refurbs once they become available.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure Applecare+ is a new phone? I would be very surprised that they won't be giving out refurbs once they become available.

yes it's a refurbed phone, just like when you're under the normal warranty.... otherwsie if you're out of warranty, the refurbs are prices just like new contract phones.. $199 for 16 $299 for 32.. and prob more than likely $399 for the 64

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I would drop the AT&T insurance and then pick Squaretrade or Applecare+. There is no need to have coverage 3x over...

Both Squaretrade and AppleCare+ do not cover lost/stolen. Only AT&T's wireless insurance through Asurion does. But I agree, there really isn't a need to have more than one.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Some food for thought

Correction, AT&T's Insurance is now through Asurion and priced at $6.99/month..... Might be worth it for some, and not all Homeowners insurance will cover the full retail value of the iPhone, I know mine will only insure it at $200.00, which is a lot less than what I paid for it....

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
When I spoke with Apple support today about a return I needed (iPhone case) they let me know that I had the option of going to the Apple store on launch day (like I'm not in my right mind to do that) or visit a Verizon store (in my case) and I could get AppleCare+. Luckily I did order AppleCare but will return it on Friday to Verizon to get the + version and then cancel the insurance.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
My 17-month-old iPhone 4 broke today. The display was all messed up, probably from being dropped one time too many. I did not have any insurance or extended warranty on it, and the warranty expired over 5 months ago. So I took it to Genius Bar. They gave me a full replacement for $149. That's for an unused iPhone 4 with 16 GB, not a refurb, with no contract.

That's about the same as if I had paid for insurance, plus deductable. And there's a 90-day warranty on the new phone, by which time that line should be about eligible for an upgrade.

writegirl

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I went with Applecare and will cancel my Sprint monthly-pay insurance for two reasons: 1.) Apple care will work out to cost less 2.) When I have an issue, I can go right to the Apple store and forego having to deal with the mediocrity that is Sprint repair. Have you ever dealt with Sprint for a repair? Nightmare!!! And, they give you *gasp* a refurb! While at the Apple store I actuallly witnessed a "genius" replacing an iPhone with a brand new one. THAT is worth its wieght in gold.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
That's why I have all my iDevice's ins on my homeowners/renters policy no deduct full retail + tax .. If its just lost I can have the check within 24 hours typically .... Unfortunately I've had to use it ... :( but they were lights out

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
My 17-month-old iPhone 4 broke today. The display was all messed up, probably from being dropped one time too many. I did not have any insurance or extended warranty on it, and the warranty expired over 5 months ago. So I took it to Genius Bar. They gave me a full replacement for $149. That's for an unused iPhone 4 with 16 GB, not a refurb, with no contract.

That's about the same as if I had paid for insurance, plus deductable. And there's a 90-day warranty on the new phone, by which time that line should be about eligible for an upgrade.

The same happened to my wife's iphone 4 back in September and the warranty had expired 3 months before, they went ahead and gave us a free replacement, you gotta love Apple's customer service..

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
yes it's a refurbed phone, just like when you're under the normal warranty.... otherwsie if you're out of warranty, the refurbs are prices just like new contract phones.. $199 for 16 $299 for 32.. and prob more than likely $399 for the 64

I dont know why some people keep calling this replacements " refurbs" when they are not, I've been told many times by Apple staff that this phones are brand new and never used by anyone, they dont come in the original box and all accessories but the phone itself is no different than a brand new iphone from a sealed box.. I'm probably missing something here but I see " refurbs" as returned, repaired, open items, display models, etc.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I dont know why some people keep calling this replacements " refurbs" when they are not, I've been told many times by Apple staff that this phones are brand new and never used by anyone, they dont come in the original box and all accessories but the phone itself is no different than a brand new iphone from a sealed box.. I'm probably missing something here but I see " refurbs" as returned, repaired, open items, display models, etc.

Just because they are new and never used my anyone does not mean it hasn't been refurbed

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Just because they are new and never used my anyone does not mean it hasn't been refurbed

Ok define refurb then..

Apple has this replacements from day one to honor warranties and exchanges.. They are exactly the same phone you'd get in a sealed box..I asked two store managers here in Florida.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711