Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Default Your thoughts on the 3.5' screen size?

IMO it IS small but its not the end of the world, I have always said that 4" is perfect as its not too big and not too small, regardless I think the 4S is very powerful and has a lot of nice features and whats with all the complaining about the body? I thought the 4 was fantastic the way it was made.

Whats everyone's thoughts?
    iMore Intermediate

I like the size, and wouldn't want a phone that's any bigger. If I want a big screen, I have my iPad.
    go88mph likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,084 Global Posts

I agree totally. I want a phone with a nice display. I don't need a mini tablet as a phone....
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I am very happy that the screen size is not changing. The 3.5" screen is perfect.

BTW, my son had a Droid X and it was just too freaking big, IMHO. He thought so, too. He now has a VZW iPhone 4.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Jellotime91 likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

I've currently using a Droid X and slowly wandering my way over to Apple and iOS and iPhone and I have to say I like the feel of something a little more compact in my hand - and my pocket (as I've used an iPod Touch for quite some time). The larger Droid X is almost too big for me now.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    iOS Version

i think the screen size is perfect because who wants finger prints and smudges everytime you grab it out of your pocket? i dont but thats just me.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

one of the strengths of android is that they can have large and regular size phones. i bet there are plenty of people out there that don't want a 4.5 inch iPhone
    Premium1 likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    io5

I knda miss the size. The 4 inc screen is super nice but also sometime too big cause i have a small hand and its hard to use with one hand.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

When you put it in a OttorBox case its a good size, any larger and I would not want it in my pocket.

KC
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,887 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Screen is perfect for me...i was actually a bit wary about the idea that the iPhone was going to be bigger (and thankful when it released in the same size). I've never had any issues visually with anything on the screen, i have an iPad for watching movies on the go (but have watched several on my iPhone itself)...and in the end, it is still a phone, and i simply hate using my Evo work phone, it feels like putting a laptop up to my ear sometimes in comparison.

Im 110% fine with the 3.5" retina display...
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

kinda bummed out that Apple is not moving up Droid X range for screen size, but this is not a deal breaker for me and getting an iPhone.
    ame
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,442 Global Posts

I am glad they didn't change the screen or phone size. This is at my threshold size for a candybar style phone. I picked this in part because it wasn't almost tablet sized like most of the HTC and other Droid phones are. If I wanted a tablet, I'd buy one.
    iPhone Nanite

I haven't tried any of the larger phones, so I can't really speak much as to comparisons, but I have always been happy with the iPhone's size. Things that are too small, I can just enlarge onscreen. I don't think it would be particularly better with a larger phone. I mean, we're talking about half an inch here. In some cases 2/3 of an inch. It's not that big a difference in viewing ability, is it? So I guess I'm on the fence. Would I be offended if it was larger? Maybe not. I guess it'd depend on how it felt and fit in my pockets. Am I offended at the size it is now? Nope. I'm very pleased with it.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

I wish it had that extra .5". I don't think that makes it seem like a mini tablet, because it's not that big of a difference, but makes viewing the internet, videos, email, etc that much easier, IMO. It's just a preference for me, but not necessarily a deal-breaker either. If I got an early upgrade, I'd consider it, but that's not looking to be the case for me at this time. Sigh.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS 5.0

I had the Droid X and I didn't find it too big, I also didn't feel like I was sacrificing anything moving to the smaller iPhone screen. It is not THAT big a difference. I think people are more disappointed with the lack of "show off factor" because it doesn't have a new look, which I don't the current design could ever look outdated.

I have read it perfectly from a number of sources, if they put the same innards into a different design, it would had satisfied a lot of the naysayers.

I wonder at this point when April iPad event rolls around, will they possibly offer a different back as a mid term refresh?
    64GB Space Gray iPhone 5S on Verizon
    64GB Space Gray iPad Mini w/Retina on Verizon
    16GB Silver Nano
    Apple TV 2nd Gen
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    13" MacBook Pro Mid 2012

Like Watches? See my watch reviews at www.youtube.com/DougFNJ now in HD
    iPhone Intermediate

I don't mind the screen size, I don't do heavy TV or movie watching on it so it's fine. Now if Apple had increased the size to let's say 3.7 or 3.8 I would not have complained but at the moment I'm happy with it as it is.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Coming from a 4.3" screen on my EVO... there will probably be an adjustment curve. I was originally so worried about fat-fingering text messages, but, I grabbed one of my co-workers' iP4, and sent a test text without any issues. I made a similar amount of mistakes as I already do on my EVO. So, no worries there. As for less real-estate... the retina display totally makes up for the smaller screen. Overall, I think I'll be just fine
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I and a HTC for a short period od time not too long ago. Which of course had a larger screen, which of course used more battery to function. The size of the current i4 and i4S is fine with me.
    iPhone 5
    iPad Mini
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5 (soon)

I have an EVO 4G now (until I switch to the 4s!) and must say the larger screen doesn't do anything for me, I would much rather have the super high quality 3.5" any day...plus as others have mentioned, I have an ipad for the larger screen needs.
    iPhone Newbie

Back in March I went from the iPhone 3G to an HTC Thunderbolt. I have to say, at the time, I loved the larger screen size and the new (to me) google software. After several months though, I did get tired and fustrated with the instabilty of the google OS.Though the Google OS has a lot of nice features, it is just not as refined as the iOS. Also, I like to keep my phone in my pocket and those greater than 4 inch screens might be a bit too big. I think the 3.5 inch screen is plenty big enough and I can't wait to go back to the iPhone with the 4S.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    iOS Version

IMO for the many uses I use my phone for 3.5 is small. I would be happy with at least 4 inch. I do a lot of reading news, web articles,etc. I had an android affair with the HTC inspire and I loved the size of that screen. It was perfect for reading a lot when I didn't have my iPad with me. A bigger screen would make me so happy.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts

i came from an evo with a 4.3 inch screen, i kind of miss the big keyboard but, Apples is more responsive and i can get my phone out of my pocket now without struggling due to the big size.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

iPhone screen is the right size. Can't stand those laptops people are carrying in their pockets nowadays.
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

I think it's pretty much the perfect size. Seems like a lot of phones today are going back to the old "brick" style because of the screen size primarily. The iPhone still feels compact and the screen is more than acceptable.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,501 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have owned Android phones with 4" screens and although they were SLIGHTLY easier to view, they made the phones large. I like the ppi on the Retina better and the smaller size makes the phone easier to pack around. I haven't really noticed it being any harder to type on my iPhone 4 than it was on the previous 4" Android displays I owned.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 GM
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 6 128GB Slate
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    ATV3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast