1 gb?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
News to me. Forget Siri, they wouldn't be doing much of anything. Seems like just about everyone has wifi these days, and if they don't then why bother? You're right that people aren't likely walking around with headphones. iPods have voice control without being always online.

Even so, every iPad is online some of the time and many are online all the time, so that in itself is not it. If this feature is intended for hands-free driving, it makes a bit more sense. I expect to be using it a lot on my 4S, looking up addresses and directions, making calls, controlling audio, composing texts, etc. I won't do that with my iPad 'cuz I can't put it in my pocket or make voice calls.

It's news to you that the WiFi iPad is more popular and people sometimes use them offline? Really? lol

VoiceOver doesn't require an internet connection. Siri does. And Apple has made it clear that they don't care to put Siri on the iPod at this time, and I think that's because the iPod is not an always-online device. I still think Siri would be really awkward on the iPad because of the form factor. Also it would do so much less than it does on the iPhone.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree about the form factor. As I said, I wouldn't use it while driving.

Voice controls don't work in airplane mode. Check it out. VoiceOver is something else.

I have a wifi iPad and couldn't imagine using it for much offline.

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
We won't know the answer to this question until Apple explains. What's interesting is that one group of people assume Apple is intentionally withholding a feature for no logical reason. You may not agree with why they do certain things (e.g. no Flash), but they do have a logical reason for their actions and it's not just to squeeze more dollars from loyal customers.

I am trying to learn all I can and everyone has been very helpful. I had heard about the inavailability of Flash. Does this affect the web experience or watching videos on YouTube? Is there a reason Flash is not available? Thank you.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to learn all I can and everyone has been very helpful. I had heard about the inavailability of Flash. Does this affect the web experience or watching videos on YouTube? Is there a reason Flash is not available? Thank you.

No, it doesn't affect watching videos on the built in YouTube App, but you can't watch it on the browser which is no big deal. And it shouldn't really affect his web experience unless he watchs like online tv episodes, if he really wants it he can buy something in the App Store called: iSWiFTER and it enables him to watch flash videos on a different browser. Flash is available in iOS, except they just won't enable it. Why they won't is because Apple thinks it might violet the Terms of Service with developers. Anyways yeah Flash could work with the App.

Reactions: CarrieMK

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
No, it doesn't affect watching videos on the built in YouTube App, but you can't watch it on the browser which is no big deal. And it shouldn't really affect his web experience unless he watchs like online tv episodes, if he really wants it he can buy something in the App Store called: iSWiFTER and it enables him to watch flash videos on a different browser. Flash is available in iOS, except they just won't enable it. Why they won't is because Apple thinks it might violet the Terms of Service with developers. Anyways yeah Flash could work with the App.

Thank you for being my iGuru and taking the time to answer my questions :)

Reactions: zackawee27

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Is there really not going to be 1gb of RAM in the 4S?..if so, why couldn't siri work on the ipad2?

Because it probably can but if they say that it would deter some from upgrading if pretty much every feature would come to older models and not just the 4s.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Is there really not going to be 1gb of RAM in the 4S?..if so, why couldn't siri work on the ipad2?
Because it probably can but if they say that it would deter some from upgrading if pretty much every feature would come to older models and not just the 4s.
Or it could be because of some other reasons we don't know about yet. There's some chatter that the mic might be different in the 4S. The point is that Apple does not have a track record of trying to cheat people out of OS feature upgrades. They usually have a good reason for not allowing a particular feature on certain hardware: either it won't work or it'll work like crap.

Another possibility is between redraider's theory and mine.
Apple will probably wait until after the end of the holiday quarter and bring Siri to the iPad 2 in the first quarter of 2012. Not only will this give market incentive for people to buy the iPhone 4S by having Siri as a device-exclusive feature during the holiday period, it'll also give Apple's servers and Siri's algorithms time to adjust and scale to the number of inquiries it'll receive.

Once Siri's beta period ends and international rollouts for the iPhone 4S are reasonably complete, that's the perfect time to bring Siri to the iPad 2 in a dot-update to iOS 5. By that time Siri and its supporting infrastructure will be more mature and able to handle the extra load of adding support for one more device type, and it should also help alleviate the typical post-holiday quarter sales slump.

Source

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh