Best way to get a new iPhone on 10/14?

MarcGoldie

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I have never tried to get a new iPhone on launch day before. Going to an actual Apple store is out of the question, so if I order on-line this Friday, will I be essentially guaranteed to get one on 10/14? Or is going up to an AT&T store this Friday and ordering one there better?

Also does anyone know what time they will go on sale (Eastern Time) on the Apple Store this Friday? I keep hearing 3AM Eastern?

Thanks!

Kannon#AC

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Stay up late on Thursday night and pre-order it online. Last year, my iPhone 4 was delivered to my door the day before the official launch day.

MarcGoldie

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I've heard stories about that. Do you get a tracking number to know in advance it is going to show up early since you have to be available to sign for it. I work from home one day per week and it's normally Friday so I'd be around. But if it came Thursday, I'd be at work and they'd have to redeliver Friday anyway I suppose. Unless I worked from home Thursday if I knew in enough time to switch my schedule next week. :)

Kannon#AC

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Last year, AT&T's ordering system was slow (probably due to traffic) and it took me a couple hours past midnight to finally get my order in. I received a confirmation email from AT&T which linked me to an order status page. I remember it took a while to determine if my order was accepted in the first batch of shipments. Finally, I received a tracking number like 2 weeks later. I think last year, the time between the pre-order and actual release was further apart. All I know is that there was a very long thread on this site and people were refreshing their order status like mad because nobody wanted to be stuck on backorder. I'm on woot.com a lot so I'm used to online ordering frenzies :)

MarcGoldie

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Last year, AT&T's ordering system was slow (probably due to traffic) and it took me a couple hours past midnight to finally get my order in. I received a confirmation email from AT&T which linked me to an order status page. I remember it took a while to determine if my order was accepted in the first batch of shipments. Finally, I received a tracking number like 2 weeks later. I think last year, the time between the pre-order and actual release was further apart. All I know is that there was a very long thread on this site and people were refreshing their order status like mad because nobody wanted to be stuck on backorder. I'm on woot.com a lot so I'm used to online ordering frenzies :)

LOL, I know a lot about Woot.

I guess another option is going to the AT&T store directly and ordering it there Friday and that should get me one the following week right?

Kannon#AC

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
That's a backup plan. Try online first and if that fails, try for a store on launch day. You have to have some serious motivation on launch day though because no matter how early you think you are, there are always crazier people. But maybe the 4s really will be a flop and you can just walk in and get one :p

MarcGoldie

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
That's a backup plan. Try online first and if that fails, try for a store on launch day. You have to have some serious motivation on launch day though because no matter how early you think you are, there are always crazier people. But maybe the 4s really will be a flop and you can just walk in and get one :p

Almost hoping for that a little. I'm on a 3GS so to me, it's a big upgrade, but I'm sure to the current 4 owners it's not very exciting.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm pre ordering from ATT. If I don't get it Friday, I'm confident it will come Saturday. I always get mine the next day from them.