Age Old Quandry: VZW or AT&T

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
An interesting thought comes about with the 4S: buy an AT&T iPhone and unlock for use with Verizon/Sprint; buy a VZW iPhone for use with AT&T.

Clearly, we're looking at a future JB/unlock problem. But it raises the question: if such an unlock existed, would it more likely work for one or the other carrier iPhones.

Might steer a buyer to one carrier or another to get maximum flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
CDMA phones are ESN locked to a carrier. You will likely be able to buy an unlocked 4S and use it on T-Mobile or AT&T, but the Verizon and Sprint phones will likely be locked to those carriers (on the CDMA side, anyway).

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
But will the GSM side of the Verizon or Sprint iP-4s be locked in such a way that even a US GSM carrier can't unlock it - but be available for use outside the US?

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
With world blackberries, we were able to unlock the SIm and toggle radios between CDMA and GSM. We won't be able to do that with the 4S?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
With world blackberries, we were able to unlock the SIm and toggle radios between CDMA and GSM. We won't be able to do that with the 4S?

I looked into it with my former VZW BB Tour but never did it... it may be physically possible to do it, but the question is - will AT&T allow the CDMA side of their version of the iP4s to be unlocked in the US? Will Verizon/Sprint allow the GSM side of their versions of the iP4s to be unlocked for use in the US? Does Apple have a say in it?

Lots of questions... and I guess we'll know next week, or sooner?? :)

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
My guess:

The CDMA radio will be carrier locked. Buy it on Verizon, and you can only use it on their CDMA network (with roaming/international roaming on other CDMA networks).

But...

Much like the BB Storm, you should be able to unlock the GSM antenna to use on any GSM carrier.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
one thing to keep in mind is that at&t will not unlock an iPhone and im sure verizon will so if you plan on going out of country you might be better off using verizon

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73