Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    digitalfan's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

    Default iPhone4S+4G WiMAX still possible? DO READ

    Note: I do have a point, just going to get to it slowly. PLEASE READ .

    Listen up guys, here is something else to talk about for a few days. I am someone who likes to look at all the rumors and find something in there thats true. Generally, you can. Like seeing all those Sprint rumors of them finally getting the iPhone -- a iPhone 5 and the iPhone 4 -- I totally believed that, and there it is -- it happened. Name was just wrong.

    I also believed for a long time -- before it was popular to believe so -- that the iPhone would come not only to Verizon but also Sprint. At some point Apple would not have enough customers to fight for and they would continue to sell millions but never grow in market share. So of course they would want to expand.

    However, one thing stands out. Sprint getting the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 will mean increased traffic on it's 3G network that I am not a 100% sure it is ready to handle. It's possible anything from 10 - 20 million customers over the next year will switch from other carriers just to get the iPhone on unlimited data. (I am highly over estimating that figure, not basing it on any fact).

    So what is Sprint to do? They know just like Verizon and ATT that 3G Wireless technology is not perfect and will falter with increased traffic. Dan Hesse himself once was quoted that they give unlimited data because people generally use moderate amount of data. And that if that ever changes, then so will the policy. And with iPhone users who use over 10GB's of data a month who are likely to switch to Sprint so they don't get "throttled" -- again, what is Sprint to do?

    Well here is the entire point: Does anyone remember the ZTE iPod Touch Sprint 3G case? Why don't Sprint just make a WiMAX ZTE iPhone 4/4S case? Charge $49.95 for iPhone 4 customers who purchase it at launch, and make it free for 4S buyers. And charge full price and a $20 dollar a month fee for non Sprint iPhone 4/4S customers. This way in the markets WiMax is available Sprint can lift the load off the 3G network just like they do with the EVO 3D, Phonton 4G, Epic Touch II and so on. These phones are all attracting customers who use a lot of data -- but have a superior network that can handle heavy traffic.

    To back this up -- and kinda what made me think about this -- Sprint did not announce the iPhone is coming to Sprint. Made a simi public response stating they were glad to be apart of Apple's event. And guess when Sprint is announcing it's 4G plan? Oct 7 2011 -- the day pre-orders begin. Can this be just a coincidence? Sure, it can be. This idea makes so much sense it's probably not going to happen.

    But what if it does? Discuss!

    NOTE: Being a new customer to this forum, I am not allowed to post a link. Google Sprint ZTA PEEL iPod for more info on that product.
  2. #2  
    jd78's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

    Default

    I want to politely say this is not going to happen.

    First, Sprint is dumping WIMAX for LTE starting next year. The roll out will be gradual and WIMAX will stay around for awhile, but LTE is the future.

    Second, Sprint not formally announcing the iPhone is more of an Apple thing than Sprint. Apple always announces it's own products, period. Since this event was bigger than just announcing Sprint as a carrier, is why it was mostly an afterthought. Verizon had their own even because it was in the middle of an already launched product so the only announcement was a new carrier.

    Third and Finally, as we can see with the new iPhone 4S, Apple just wants to make one phone, period. No matter the carriers or networks, they only want to make one phone for them all. So when we do see a "4G" phone it will have to be LTE to cover all three (possibly 4) US carriers.
  3. #3  
    MustangLife's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    773 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default

    AT&T's 3G network is just as fast as the 4G competition. Sprint,etc 3G network is far slower than AT&T. Once 2010 hit AT&T upgraded there 3G network where download speeds doubled compared to 2009. 4G is not 4G yet, it is a selling technique cause it sounds better. I've seen independant companies test a 4g Evo vs a iphone4 on AT&T using speed test. And the iPhone murdered them. The iphone4 isn't able to get a true 4g. Sprint will probaly advertise a fake 4G. A good broadband Internet connection now a days is 3.50 Mpbs or so maybe up to 5. Hope this helps
    Current White Iphone 4 8GB JB Evasi0n 7.0.4 because of budget reasons
    2011-12 White Iphone 4S 16 GB
    2011 White Iphone4 - 16GB
    2009-2011 Black Iphone 3GS 16 GB
  4. #4  
    jd78's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
    AT&T's 3G network is just as fast as the 4G competition. Sprint,etc 3G network is far slower than AT&T. Once 2010 hit AT&T upgraded there 3G network where download speeds doubled compared to 2009. 4G is not 4G yet, it is a selling technique cause it sounds better. I've seen independant companies test a 4g Evo vs a iphone4 on AT&T using speed test. And the iPhone murdered them. The iphone4 isn't able to get a true 4g. Sprint will probaly advertise a fake 4G. A good broadband Internet connection now a days is 3.50 Mpbs or so maybe up to 5. Hope this helps
    HSPDA+ in some cases is faster than WIMAX, but it depends on the market. Bottom line though is LTE is faster than HSPDA+ and WIMAX which is why the top 3 US carriers are moving to it. The "4G" iPhone will probably be LTE, but we won't see that till next year I assume.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    digitalfan's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jd78 View Post
    I want to politely say this is not going to happen.

    First, Sprint is dumping WIMAX for LTE starting next year. The roll out will be gradual and WIMAX will stay around for awhile, but LTE is the future.

    Second, Sprint not formally announcing the iPhone is more of an Apple thing than Sprint. Apple always announces it's own products, period. Since this event was bigger than just announcing Sprint as a carrier, is why it was mostly an afterthought. Verizon had their own even because it was in the middle of an already launched product so the only announcement was a new carrier.

    Third and Finally, as we can see with the new iPhone 4S, Apple just wants to make one phone, period. No matter the carriers or networks, they only want to make one phone for them all. So when we do see a "4G" phone it will have to be LTE to cover all three (possibly 4) US carriers.
    You don't know that for sure. Sprint on Friday is announcing it's 4G strategy and remember they are still releasing 4G WiMAX phones. And this would be a CASE that ZTE and Sprint would be making, NOT a different phone. SOMETHING YOU ADD ON to the iPhone 4S. And they have done this sort of thing before, last time for iPod Touch with 3G. So I wouldn't count it out just yet.

    To prove the point, the Epic Touc II was released after the LightSquared partnership and it's 4G WiMAX.
  6. #6  
    jd78's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone4G2 View Post
    You don't know that for sure. Sprint on Friday is announcing it's 4G strategy and remember they are still releasing 4G WiMAX phones. And this would be a CASE that ZTE and Sprint would be making, NOT a different phone. SOMETHING YOU ADD ON to the iPhone 4S. And they have done this sort of thing before, last time for iPod Touch with 3G. So I wouldn't count it out just yet.

    To prove the point, the Epic Touc II was released after the LightSquared partnership and it's 4G WiMAX.
    This is not an "I told you so"... . Ok, maybe a little.

    As for the ZTE Peel for the 4S, it won't be made, period. It makes no sense for ZTE to make a case for a device that already has cellular data. The "device" would have to have it's own ESN/MEID meaning it would have to be setup as it's own line with a subscription and plan. There is a reason why they have only done this to a non-cellular or mobile broadband device. Also, ZTE has yet to make a since device that even uses WIMAX. If they were to start now, it would make sense for them to make their own phone (yes, they make phones), but I guess I could see them making a 4G Peel for the iPod Touch...

Posting Permissions

B