Siri thoughts

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking forward to it. In my job I spend a lot of time in my car. The voice services I've tried on android haven't worked very well for me. This looks to be exponentially better.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Nicodm

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Siri is huge. I think it will blow people away. I can not wait to try it. People saying they wont get the 4S will be missing out on this.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I've had the Siri app all along. I've used it both successfully and unsuccessfully - more the latter than the former.

The problem with any of the voice recognition apps (AI or not) is that you have to activate them to use them.

Very true! Unfortunately there's no way to avoid this, currently.

I feel though that if I'm going for a walk or exercising, it's very convenient to use the headset and send messages, set reminders, ask random questions, etc. I already use VoiceOver pretty often to call people while I'm walking to/from WalMart or waiting for the bus.

As for using it when I'm just at home, I don't know that I will use it for much other than conversion questions like "how many cups are in a litre" and so on.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
For those of you that travel abroad with any kind of frequency, or have ever found yourself in a place where even the most basic english is not understood...I've read that Siri will have a very intuitive translator software that will basically make these situations nonexistent.

When me and my wife went to Italy years back, we left our tour and went on our own to several places and found ourselves unable to communicate a few times (having to search high and low for help with translation, as we only knew very basic and common italian which didn't help out in the country...

That is going to be amazing honestly...to be able to go anywhere in the world pretty much and have the phone act as a fluid translator.

f1l4

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Siri is great but there is one little problem.
What about non english-german-french speaking world? What about small countries with "small" languages? No Siri for you!
I just want to say that it's not same iPhone for few countries and rest of the world.

Why to upgrade then? To get better camera?

Does anybody know will it be possible to use Siri in English in some other country or it won't be available at all?

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Language support will evolve. It's just a dictionary. Be patient and be sure to request support from Apple for your desired language.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Siri is great but there is one little problem.
What about non english-german-french speaking world? What about small countries with "small" languages? No Siri for you!
I just want to say that it's not same iPhone for few countries and rest of the world.

Why to upgrade then? To get better camera?

Does anybody know will it be possible to use Siri in English in some other country or it won't be available at all?

Other language support will come...the initial version is a Beta, as pointed out in the keynote.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok really? Engadget is not pro-Apple? That's hilarious. Please point me to a review where they've ever said the iPhone is anything but the best phone on the market.

And is 'Topolsky' Joshua Topolsky? Did he leave Engadget? Anyway that guy has never said anything negative about Apple that I've seen, and I used to watch their Engadget show religiously and follow Engadget like a lemming.

I am not at all contesting what they are saying, and I'm betting it's true, but I just think it's funny that you'd say neither of them are big Apple fans... As far as journalism goes, they are the biggest Apple fans around.

Yes, Josh and a few others left Engadget to start a new venture they temporarily named thisismynext. It's going to morph into The Verge soon.

When I think of big Apple fans, I think of MG Siegler or John Gruber. For Apple "fan" sites i think of TiPb or Macrumors. I think any credible tech blogger or journalist would lose most of their credibility if they didn't acknowledge the impact Apple has had this past decade. That doesn't make them Apple fans.

I'm basing my comments mostly on various podcasts I've been listening to this past year. The folks at Engadget and thisismynext often make comments about Apple products that I think are downright silly. Maybe they were bigger Apple fans in the past and are now intentionally toning down their opinions? I don't know. I can't say I've followed them that closely in the past. I can say that IMO they are not the biggest Apple fans in the blogoshpere today.

KCook3

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Will Siri work with other apps? Like my delta (airline) app or local news app, fuel finder app things like that?

KC

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Will Siri work with other apps? Like my delta (airline) app or local news app, fuel finder app things like that?

Probably not. This is still in beta, which Apple doesn't usually insert into a shipping product. I'm guessing they want to make sure it works well in limited functions before deploying it more widely. We'll know how possible that will be once the reviewers give us more details in a few days.

The implications of Siri are really mind boggling. I keep thinking of "what if"s. Imagine opening Safari and just saying "tip bee" or maybe spelling out "t i p b dot com"? Or maybe go straight to "iPhone 4S forum" and it would search the history cache to understand where to go?

How about camera controls? "shutter speed 1/500th" "zoom out a little" "capture"

Imagine what instructables could look like with Siri. Let's say you're replacing a laptop hard drive and need to use both hands. "next step" "repeat video" "define spudger"

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I think it's one of those features you use for the first month and then forget about it.

We still have to see just how well it works. I think some people will use it all the time, while others not at all. But if this develops the way I think it will, we are seeing a major shift in how we interact with computers. Keyboard, mouse, fingers, voice.

Watch a little kid who's grown up using an iOS device. Put them in front of a computer and they try to access content by touching the screen. In a few years we might see a new generation of kids who try talking to a computer. Remember Scotty in Star Trek IV? hello computer - YouTube

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The key to Siri becoming a worth while tech is the integration with people's regular usage (and by that i mean regularly used apps/native functionality). If they can get it to play with what we are used to in a fluid nature, Siri will become a staple point in ALL phones, not just iPhone (or at least some variant of it).

Fluid integration...Siri's life depends on it.

Itsfoxy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I know Siri will translate text messages, but can we actually have it type one out for us to send. I can't seem to find any info on this.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
features_siri_gallery_messages.png

Itsfoxy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Haha...I guess I didn't look hard enough. But oh man...I wish I could get a new one. I'd love to have this. Especially since texting while driving is illegal here.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Haha...I guess I didn't look hard enough. But oh man...I wish I could get a new one. I'd love to have this. Especially since texting while driving is illegal here.

Yes! And also for people who walk a lot or exercise it would be really convenient to use the headset to reply rather than taking the phone out.